• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Southend United sign Paul Furlong

Bit of a let down if you ask me in signing Furlong. Least Goater was iconic at Man City, and was a major success. Furlong is nothing more than a journey man.

TBH i think it's a pretty pi$$ poor signing by Tilson, i hope i'm wrong but when i first read the news we'd signed him i couldn't believe it.

:(

How miserable.

When you've played for Chelsea and spent five years at QPR and become an absolute hero you are most cirtainly not a 'journey man'.

Bit of a let down if you ask me in signing Furlong. Least Goater was iconic at Man City, and was a major success. Furlong is nothing more than a journey man.

TBH i think it's a pretty pi$$ poor signing by Tilson, i hope i'm wrong but when i first read the news we'd signed him i couldn't believe it.

:(

That's reassuring if you think he's a p!ss poor signing then he must be good.

I can't be @rsed to check the stats but I'd wager that Furlong has scored more goals at Premiership level than Goater.

That's reassuring if you think he's a p!ss poor signing then he must be good.

I can't be @rsed to check the stats but I'd wager that Furlong has scored more goals at Premiership level than Goater.

You'd be right. However Goater scored more Premiership goals in the 12 years preceeding joining us than Furlong has in the last twelve years. Signing an ageing player is always a gamble ... ask Col U how Sherringham worked out.
Fingers crossed he'll be okay and do a solid job but don't expect anything spectacular.

I wish people would stop comparing him at Goater and acting as if the Goat was amazing with us. Yes he was a legend but he was **** poor in alot of games. Lets just give him a chance.

Last edited:
You'd be right. However Goater scored more Premiership goals in the 12 years preceeding joining us than Furlong has in the last twelve years. Signing an ageing player is always a gamble ... ask Col U how Sherringham worked out.
Fingers crossed he'll be okay and do a solid job but don't expect anything spectacular.

I agree with you about the gamble involved in the signing of an older player, we've certainly had a fair few duds down the years, interspersed with a few good ones.

Back