• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Southend United sign Paul Furlong

Well Furlong did the business in a very poor side last year didn't he?

Why would this not be a good signing? He is a quality, experienced player whose signing may well turn out to be a masterstroke by Tilly and Brush.

He is 40. So what? I think that our younger lads cannot fail to learn from somebody like that. Welcome to Southend Paul and every success to you.

Cracking signing, got a good scoring record for Luton. Ok he is old and nearly 40 but hopefully his experience will help out our younger players. I will certainly be having his name on the back of my shirt :)

I remember when he played at Roots Hall last season, he worked very hard and defended a lot aswell. I think he'll work out to be a good signing.

Will we ever make a signing that people won't moan at before the ink's dried (or officially been put to paper). JeezuRonaldMacdonaldChrist !

I think this is a fantastic signing and even if age causes him to make only a handful of games the experience he can pass on to our young forwards and squad is immeasurable.

We're certainly not leaving it late this time around - four signings already, there's still time on our side and some of the existing ditherers may yet put pen to paper. Roll on the first game.

I admit I was a little concerned when LDNFatso texted me earlier, signing a 39 year old (He'll be our oldest ever player beating Micky Gooding), however after thinking about it a bit more, he scored 12 in 38 for Luton in a struggle of a season and then hearing Brushy's appraisal then I think he proof to a useful signing.

He's not going play 90 mins every time out but certainly has the experience to pass onto Barnie, Walks and Red Rum.

Good luck Paul, welcome aboard.

I admit I was a little concerned when LDNFatso texted me earlier, signing a 39 year old (He'll be our oldest ever player beating Micky Gooding), however after thinking about it a bit more, he scored 12 in 38 for Luton in a struggle of a season and then hearing Brushy's appraisal then I think he proof to a useful signing.

He's not going play 90 mins every time out but certainly has the experience to pass onto Barnie, Walks and Red Rum.

Good luck Paul, welcome aboard.

Mick Gooding had already hit 40 by the time he made his debut.

I think this is a fantastic signing and even if age causes him to make only a handful of games the experience he can pass on to our young forwards and squad is immeasurable.

Your just happy we have an outfield player older than you ;)

Speaking to my QPR supporting mate, Furlong keeps in great shape for his age and is a model professional, on top of being an all round top bloke. "The perfect experienced forward" he says...

Sadly I've got a couple of years on Furlong but I can see your thinking here and as you've seen me play as well I still have the physique and the speed of a 35 year old Donkey. *ahem*

*Edited for accuracy * :)

I think its a very good signing. A big coup from tilly. At 39 he obviosuly does not have the pace anymore but then same with goater. That extra yard was created in the head and with his experience he will be a great assest to this club. I believe the signing of Furlong could be the difference between challanging for promotion or not this season.

The strike line up this year is looking very similar to the line up when we won the league. If anything I believe it has the potential to be better but not just in striker terms but the team as a whole. Yes we are looking short on numbers at the moment but its till june and with 4 very good signings so far I have positive come kick off on the 9th August we will not only rival the squad of that season but one that can be better.

but promotion year the league was poor, no one wanted to win it really. this year the league has the leicesters, leeds and money bags mk dons and peterborough. i don't think we will do as well as everyone thinks but hope i'm wrong

I have no promo ambitions again this season. First target has to be 50 pts for survival and then we'll see how things go from there. Until the first digger moves in at FF we're not going to splash cash willy nilly but with another 5 or 6 names needed for the squad you cannot accuse RM of being over cautious either.

I'm sure all the remaining gaps will be plugged but I'd still like to see a TALL, experienced centre half signed and a creative winger if Gower goes. Scannell may now be fit and strong enough but it's asking too much to step into Marky G's shoes. The crowd forgave MG his off days given his previous history but wouldn't be so forgiving with Scanell.

Naturally if we get to the new year around the fringes of the play offs I'd expect us to push on and maybe strengthen the team again in January.

Will we ever make a signing that people won't moan at before the ink's dried (or officially been put to paper). JeezuRonaldMacdonaldChrist !

We're certainly not leaving it late this time around - four signings already, there's still time on our side and some of the existing ditherers may yet put pen to paper. Roll on the first game.

No pleasing all the people all of the time.

For me if Furlong had signed for Col U the majority would be laughing at them for signing a has been. With that in mind its hard to get excited about the signing.

The positives for me are that he did ok last season , is supposed to be fit and we need an experienced head.

I dont however think as someone mentioned above he will be the difference between promotion or staying in league one, but also he wont get us relegated either so nothing to lose.

Well i think its a really good signing and there are a rare few footballers that have a really good career are total pro's and are still capable of playing at this level . I think furlong is very much one of those.

He will score goals and he will be a crowd favourite the same as the goat.

I hope that when he does people will eat there words.

Back