• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Southend United sign Paul Furlong

Lets get some perpective here.

Firstly the bloke is a free transfer (ie) no money has changed hands.
I very much doubt that he is on big wages. We have and are in the process of getting rid of Harrold Hooper and Foran aswell as charlie mac (mistake IMHO) so that free's up or will free up 4 x strikers wages.
I dont for one minute think the Furlong is looking at a first team spot.
He is here to coach the youngster (we have lot of them) and pass on his knowledge of the game (20 years worth) and do a job when required.

If this doesnt not work out then what have we really lost?
I personally think its a very good signing and i would like to see chrissy powell come and in work with our defence in the same way.

I firmly beleive that we will sign another striker anyway hopefully Robson Kanu or if not another loanee from a premier side for the season.

I think we are about 5 signing from being a top 4 side and furlong is another piece of that. From all accounts the man is a total pro and is still in good shape scoring goals and wants to coach and help tilly and brushy.

Whats negative about that????

Why do we need Powell to coach our defenders when we already have Austin and Brush on board?

If Furlong is here to coach our youngsters why offer him a playing contract? I'm sure we could have persuaded Brett Angell to pop down for some sessions with the forwards if that was needed.

its a tricky one my northern friend, one mans meat is another mans poison
there has been numerous good signings over the 40 years or so I ahve been following the shrimpers, but you are happy with a 40 year old, thats fine, I am happy for you personally I would rather have ayounger player, with something to prove, and hungry for success, I cant see furlong going that extra mile, it just seems to me, that if we are reduced to signing 40 year olds on frees, then thats the extent of our ambition but hey enjoy

Only time will tell if he is a good signing or not. I just hope he never comes on the Zone or he will use his bus pass for the first bus back to Charltonland.

Paul Furlong

What a great signing this could turn out to be. Welcome to The Shrimpers Paul. :clap:

Paul is just the type of player we need at the club, I remember well when Shaun Goater signed and all the negative comments that were made about his age etc. How wrong were we, Shaun played exceptionally well during his swan song season at the Blues. We all know now how well he played and brought the best out of all our younger players, especially Freddy. Freddy may well not have developed into the player he is today without Shaun's input. He certainly also added to the atmosphere in the dressing room and on the pitch.

I think Paul will do a similar job next season, he is a very experienced pro who will work well with our younger players, bringing the best out of them.

He still loves his football and is still super fit, so I for one look forward to seeing Paul in a Blue shirt next season, and hopefully he will continue bagging in the goals.

Paul Furlong

Luton OS Profile

I have reproduced the text here as the profile may not be on their OS for much longer.

Veteran striker Paul Furlong joined Luton Town during the summer of 2007, signing from Queen’s Park Rangers on a one-year deal.

The R’s had released Paul at the end of the 2006-07 season when his contract had expired at Loftus Road after 171 League appearances and 57 goals for the West London side.

The bustling front man became Hatters manager Kevin Blackwell’s fourth signing of the 2007-08 pre-season and made the move to Kenilworth Road at the highly experienced age of 38.

A striker who poses a great aerial threat to opposing defences, Paul began his career with Non-League side Enfield, progressing through the youth ranks to make his senior debut in 1988. During a three-year spell with Enfield, Paul was a prolific goal scorer, helping Enfield to win the FA Trophy in 1988 and he also earned six caps for the England National Game XI (for semi-professional players), scoring 1 goal. Such was his reputation as a striker with real potential, he was also capped at England ‘C’ level.

His performances were earning him a real reputation and after being touted for moves to a number of League clubs, he eventually signed for Coventry City in July 1991 for £130,000. The Sky Blues were in the old First Division (now known as the Premiership) and the move signalled a record transfer fee for a Non-League player.

It was a huge leap for Paul to go from Non-League football to the top tier of the English Football League, but he made a scintillating start to life at Highfield Road, scoring 4 goals in his first 8 appearances of the 1991-92 campaign, but his form then dipped and he struggled to make an impact. Sadly, such was the paucity of talent in Coventry’s squad, that Paul’s inexperience at the very top level was plain for all to see as the season wore on. While he should have been nurtured and rested, he was played and played until he ran out of steam. He appeared in 43 games and scored only 5 goals.

At the end of the season, Paul was sold, joining Luton’s archrivals Watford for £250,000 in July 1992 after just one season with Coventry City. However, his spell at Vicarage Road was to prove much more fruitful and playing a Division below Coventry (now known as the Championship), Paul scored goals for fun.

During a two-year spell with the Hornets, Paul bagged a very impressive 19 goals in 41 appearances during his first season, and 18 goals in 38 appearances the following season, the 1993-94 campaign.

His form earned him another move – this time to the pre-foreigner Chelsea – for £2.3 million in May 1994. The transfer was Watford’s then record fee received for a player and Chelsea’s then record fee paid for a player. In an era when Chelsea think nothing of spending £24 million on a striker, it is a chastening thought that just a decade earlier they were breaking their transfer record to take Paul to Stamford Bridge. Signed by then Chelsea boss Glenn Hoddle, the former England international midfielder, Paul made a successful start to his Chelsea career including a debut goal against Norwich City and an early strike against Czech side Viktoria Žižkov, as the Blues returned to European football after a 23-year sabbatical.

Tall, strong and quick, Paul had the attributes to become a striker of some class, and his first season showing included some stylish finishes past the likes of Nigel Martyn and David Seaman, but his ability to at times appear stylish and graceful were matched by a number of lapses which highlighted a fragile confidence. However, he was one of the stars of Chelsea's run to the semi-final of the European Cup Winners Cup, and his performance in a memorable victory over Club Brugge K.V. at Stamford Bridge was truly outstanding. In his first season with Chelsea, Paul scored a very decent 10 goals in 36 League appearances.

The arrivals of Mark Hughes and Ruud Gullit in the summer of 1995 might have been the making of Paul Furlong, but his second season proved to be a big disappointment. Omitted from the team as the campaign began, Paul helped Chelsea to a win over Arsenal on his recall to the starting line-up, but failed to find the net himself until the New Year, when he twice scored the winning goal in 2-1 victories at Loftus Road, a last-minute header in a League match followed by a composed finish as the Blues sent QPR scuttling out of the FA Cup. Further goals followed in a 5-0 demolition of Middlesbrough and a 1-1 draw at Wimbledon, but they were scant compensation for Hoddle's outlay, and he was back on the sidelines as the season closed. One incident, which perhaps summed up Paul's season, came when relegation-doomed QPR travelled to Chelsea late in the season. With the match level, Gullit darted through the Hoops' defence to set up an open goal for Furlong, who contrived to miss from a yard out. Gullit's publicly vented spleen only served to heap further embarrassment on the unfortunate striker, and when the Dutch legend took over the managerial reins that summer, it came as a surprise to nobody that Paul was swiftly moved on, joining Birmingham City for a then record transfer fee for Brum of £1.5 million in July 1996. In total, Paul made 65 League appearances for Chelsea, scoring 13 goals.

Paul’s first season at St Andrews was relatively successful as he scored 11 goals in 43 League appearances, although it would perhaps have been hoped that he would score more goals.

A further four seasons with Birmingham followed, during which time he scored 50 goals in 130 League appearances. His time at Birmingham was very successful and in his second campaign with Brum, he became the first Birmingham player to score two League hat-tricks since Keith Bertschin in 1979-80. His two hat-tricks came within 17 days of each other in January 1998. He ended the season, 1997-98, as Birmingham’s top goal scorer with 19 goals in all competitions. Had suspension and injuries not forced him to miss 23 matches, taking the same ratio into account he would have scored well over the 30 goals mark.

He was just as prolific the following season, scoring 16 goals in 31 League appearances as Birmingham were beaten in the play-off semi-finals to Paul’s former side Watford and denied that dream promotion to the Premiership. However, the following season, the 1999-00 campaign, Paul was absolutely firing in the goals, scoring an astonishing 15 goals in just 21 League appearances, but he again suffered heartache as Birmingham were beaten in the play-off semi-finals, this time to Barnsley.

Despite his prolific record over the previous few seasons, Paul was surprisingly transfer-listed by Birmingham City during the summer of 2000 and he moved on loan to Queen’s Park Rangers for three months. However, after scoring the winner against Crewe Alexandra, he fractured his patella tendon and returned to St Andrews prematurely. He subsequently made a brief return to the Blues’ first-team in March 2001 before being sidelined by hamstring trouble.

Firmly out of the frame with Birmingham, Paul was loaned to Sheffield United in February 2002, scoring 2 goals in 4 League appearances, before returning to Queen’s Park Rangers for a second loan spell, where he scored 2 goals in 6 League appearances.

His form for the R’s earned him a permanent move to Loftus Road as he signed for QPR on a free transfer in September 2002. It began a five-year spell for Paul in West London where he became a huge crowd favourite with the Hoops faithful.

Paul went on to score 14 goals in 36 League appearances for the R’s that season, the 2002-03 campaign, as the R’s narrowly missed out on promotion to Division One (now known as the Championship). However, Paul’s 16 goals in 36 League appearances the following season were good enough to propel the R’s into the Championship and he had already became a big favourite with the QPR fans.

His first season as a Championship player with the R’s, the 2004-05 campaign, saw him bag a superb 18 goals in 40 League appearances and this form earned him three awards – the QPR Player of the Year, Players’ Player of the Year and Goal of the Season trophies.

However, then at the age of 36, Paul’s goals began to dry up somewhat and just 9 goals over the next two seasons followed (including the winner against the Hatters in April 2007 that all-but-relegated Luton to League One and saved QPR from the drop) before he was released by the R’s. He had spent five years at Loftus Road, scoring 57 goals in 171 League appearances.

On signing for Luton Town, Paul said, “At my age offers don't come flooding in like they used to, but thankfully Kevin Blackwell has showed plenty of faith in me.

“"I am here to be part of things. I don't just want to make the numbers up. I want to be part of a Club that are trying to achieve things.

"The ambitions for the Club are very high and that is what I want. I'm sure they don't want to spend long in League One so I want to be part of a squad that is looking for promotion."

A player with a vast amount of experience, Paul had played 486 League matches and scored 163 goals prior to joining Luton Town and Hatters boss Kevin Blackwell will be relying upon Paul’s experience to help the Hatters gain promotion from League One back to the Championship at the first time of asking

Why do we need Powell to coach our defenders when we already have Austin and Brush on board?

If Furlong is here to coach our youngsters why offer him a playing contract? I'm sure we could have persuaded Brett Angell to pop down for some sessions with the forwards if that is what's needed.

I think we need an experienced head in the dressing room who isn't one of the coaching staff. I think Spencer Prior was hugely influential, as was Goater. Their experience needed to be replaced.

If Furlong is here to coach our youngsters why offer him a playing contract? I'm sure we could have persuaded Brett Angell to pop down for some sessions with the forwards if that was needed.

Well maybe because he still has 10-15 goals a season in him and Foran Mcdonald Hooper walker and definately harold dont look capable of doint that.

As for chrissy he would provide excellent cover at left back when required. Are you telling me that austin or brushy are gona dust there boots off?

Its called getting the most out of your staff.
You have managers/supervisors in offices but there is always some old scally who has been there since duncan goodhew had hair and gets asked to help and coach without actually being titled as a supervisor and this is the same.

Furlong is ****ing rubbish and nothing like Goater at all.

First of all he is a sicknote who hs jumped from club to club and secondly he has never really set the world alight even playing for Luton so what the hell is he going to give to us.

Last but not least Southend have always got young hungry players with something to prove, thats what has made us succesful in the past and dare I say it thats what kept the club afloat. I can remember only one time when a manager brought in a load of old has beens and that was Ronnie Whelan and look at how crap he was.

Not impressed with the signing but lets hope I am forced to eat my words.

its a tricky one my northern friend, one mans meat is another mans poison
there has been numerous good signings over the 40 years or so I ahve been following the shrimpers, but you are happy with a 40 year old, thats fine, I am happy for you personally I would rather have ayounger player, with something to prove, and hungry for success, I cant see furlong going that extra mile, it just seems to me, that if we are reduced to signing 40 year olds on frees, then thats the extent of our ambition but hey enjoy

I'm happy with a 40 year old when we have Barnard, Walker and Revell (and possibly still Ademano, Hooper, MacDonald and Harrold). We have young players who are hungry for success, but what we lacked was a couple of experienced heads who have been there and done it all to guide them.

We aren't reduced to just signing 40 year olds on frees, but a 40 year old on a free happens to complement our forward line nicely.

Judging by the rumors on this board we will have a team full of coaches next season. Could probably enter the masters football.

what better way to train defenders against attackers?..teach the defenders how attackers think...or not as the case may be.:headbang:

my immediate reaction was negative but when you think of some of the fixtures - LDV Cup, Paint Trophy etc. - it will be good to have a competent
and capable geyser around to do 60 or 70 minutes - or 20 or 30 from the bench -

my immediate reaction was negative but when you think of some of the fixtures - LDV Cup, Paint Trophy etc. - it will be good to have a competent
and capable geyser around to do 60 or 70 minutes - or 20 or 30 from the bench -

You should play your strongest team for every game.

Given Lee Barnard's style of play will inevitably put a strain on his body, I'd have thought that you'd want an option of someone to regularly replace him from the bench, offer a bit of experience and a bit of aerial ability. Furlong ticks all those boxes.

To be fair he has always scored goals. Yes he may seem a bit old but shouldn't we watch him play first before judging how he's age has effected he's football ability?

Sod it. This guy dont look that bad. Yes he's getting on a bit but if he is still scoring at this age then who cares. 12 goals could have made the difference last season remember that!- that's what he scored in 38 games

All the negative posters should take a deep breath and realise that we haven't even started pre-season yet and give the bloke a chance. How people can speak with such authority that he is cr@p I don't know when we haven't even seen him play in a Blues shirt yet. :darkcloud:

I'm quite happy about this and it's good to see his comments on the OS where he says he wants to play a big part in the season and that he realises he has to perform in order to do that. The way I see it, we can't really lose with this signing. It was a free transfer, we may well be playing fairly minimal wages with a pay per play arrangement and he brings a lot of experience to the table for the likes of Barney, Revell and Walker who are the future of this club. If it doesn't work out, so be it but I have every faith that he will not turn out to be another Ricketts and will give his all for the club while he is here. Nice work Tilly!

Sir Stanley Collymore is 2 years younger than him why couldn't we resign him!!

Talk about scraping the barrel, how about we get Sheringham to come out of retirement and form the oldest striking partenership in League History.

Sir Stanley Collymore is 2 years younger than him why couldn't we resign him!!

Talk about scraping the barrel, how about we get Sheringham to come out of retirement and form the oldest striking partenership in League History.

Goater's two years younger as well. Surely this must be a credit to Furlong rather than a criticism though?

Back