• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Southend United sign Paul Furlong

haaa haaa

I have just had to find an internet cafe, as you know I dont have the net anymore, once I heard this awful news!!!!!!!!!

the great thing about not being on the net is not having to read all the crap I will get for letting yo know my views on this signing....................

that is an awful awful awful awful awful awful awful awful signing one of the most backward signings this club has made in years, why dont we try and add steve harkness to the squad as well!!!!!!

please god dont let this be the striker that is going to lift us out of div 1?? I really dont think Furlong and Goater should evan be mentioned in the same sentance!!!!!

RM really is ff****ing us up big time, still Im waiting for him to spend some of the freddie eastwood monet still that he promised he wuld, oooh and the share money oooh ha ha haa ha yes and of course cant wait for the diggers to finally move in to fossetts farm zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I wouldnt laugh at col us cukoo farm to much just yet!!!!!
x

First of all he is a sicknote who hs jumped from club to club
8 clubs in 20 years is a small amount in my book.

Last but not least Southend have always got young hungry players with something to prove, thats what has made us succesful in the past and dare I say it thats what kept the club afloat. I can remember only one time when a manager brought in a load of old has beens and that was Ronnie Whelan and look at how crap he was.
You mentioned Goater earlier in your post so surely you haven't forgotten about him already?

I still dont get why people have to slag a player off before he even kicked a ball, Tilly has never stated that furlong is the man to fire us to prommotion, Im sure he is just going to be an 'experienced head' to have around the team, what is wrong with that? and he did notch a few goals last season in a poop team, he obviously looks after himself very well, remember all the negative bollox that was spouted on here when Barnard signed....give the bloke a chance

Paul Furlong :stunned:

No seriously.........

:O

I think I am asleep and I will soon wake up and tell everyone about a funny dream I had about us signing Paul Furlong :D

Sorry, but I can't anything in this signing.

- G

Good move i think. As long as he stays fit he'll be ok. He won't play every game but neither did The Goat. He'll also be a good influence on the kids.

Agreed. He's still a good player and I imagion will chip in with a few goals and give us a different option up front(someone who can hold up the ball), but half the reason we signed him is because he's a wize head and will provide invaluable expierence to the dressing room.

Good move.

Banard(goal scorer) Walker(quickie) Furlong(old head and a clever target man) - not too disimilar to the Eastwood Gray Goat combo!

Furlong is a serious powerhouse. If we need to shake up central defender opposition to take the heat of Barny & others then he is your man & will definitely assist others. Well worth taking a chance on.

Wiggy was moaning about the Goat even midway through our most successful season ever

To be fair to wiggy, I'd say a good 40-50% of our support seemed to moan about The Goat for most of that season. Of course, history has been re-written about Goater now and everyone loved him. Certainly no-one used to claim that he was fat, old, lazy and only here for the money. Oh no.

i'm not sure this will be the best thing tilson and brush have ever done but i'm happy to be proved wrong.

Next we'll be signing Peter Shilton as goalkeeping cover! Experience is one thing, but I was hoping for a Dougie Freedman type signing. Hopefully he will prove his worth!

I can understand why a lot of people aren't happy with this signing; a 40 year old is never particularly inspiring is it, but I think that doesn't do Paul Furlong justice.

His role will be two-fold as far as I can see:

First he will offer us a lot on the pitch. He clearly isn't going to play every game and he won't be the most mobile, but he offers a dimension of strength and aggression we don't have upfront. Watch his goals for Luton last year if you have Blues World. Watch how he gets in front of his man and how he uses his strength to make sure he stays in front. Watch how he attacks the ball with conviction and watch how he converts average balls from wide areas into goals. We haven't had this on the pitch for a long time and I don't think he will have lost that ability in a few months.

His second role will be as a coach/mentor. If he can instill in Alex Revell strength and movement in the box, in James Walker the aggression and determination and in Lee Barnard the poaching instinct could we really say he was a bad signing?

On the balance of probabilities I would say he'll play 25 games, score 8 odd goals and help our younger players a lot. On that basis I think it's a great signing

I can understand why a lot of people aren't happy with this signing; a 40 year old is never particularly inspiring is it, but I think that doesn't do Paul Furlong justice.

His role will be two-fold as far as I can see:

First he will offer us a lot on the pitch. He clearly isn't going to play every game and he won't be the most mobile, but he offers a dimension of strength and aggression we don't have upfront. Watch his goals for Luton last year if you have Blues World. Watch how he gets in front of his man and how he uses his strength to make sure he stays in front. Watch how he attacks the ball with conviction and watch how he converts average balls from wide areas into goals. We haven't had this on the pitch for a long time and I don't think he will have lost that ability in a few months.

His second role will be as a coach/mentor. If he can instill in Alex Revell strength and movement in the box, in James Walker the aggression and determination and in Lee Barnard the poaching instinct could we really say he was a bad signing?

On the balance of probabilities I would say he'll play 25 games, score 8 odd goals and help our younger players a lot. On that basis I think it's a great signing

I salute you sir! You seem to have summed it up very succintly. Furlong has an experienced footballing brain and our youngsters will learn a lot from him and by playing alongside him. No-one realistically expects him to play 90 mins, but I've maintained all along that Walker looks better as a sub -remember those first few games and the impact he had from the subs bench?

This is a great signing and will benefit all the forwards we currently have on our books.

Don't know what the fuss from the doubters is all about! A great signing in every way. Experienced, hungry, can score goals at this level as shown for a sh!tty team last year, and can help our young strikers progress a lot. He will be an asset.

And to those doubting his legs at 39 - you'll be surprised. He's a fair bit fitter, maybe even quicker, than most of our current strikers.....

Give the guy a farkin chance.
Pre Season has not even started yet and already people are quick to judge him. Yes he is 39, but come on, Windass is same age and look at the impact he has had at Hull. I think the kids will learn a great deal from even training alongside Furlong - dont forget that Revell and Walker are both 21 / 22. I again have every faith in Tilly and Brush and like the idea of a senior striker, if Furlong was the only striker we had, fair enough, but he is not , we have Barny and Walker already on the books !!

& if I read once more, "Where has all Eastwoods money gone" , I will scream - PEOPLE WE ARE A SMALL CLUB, WITH DEBTS , WE NEARLY HAD NO CLUB SOME YEARS AGO - FORGIVE ME IF I AM NOT SURPRISED THAT WE HAVEN'T SPENT THE 1.5 MILLION WE GOT FOR HIM. If you are in debt by £ 10,000 and you couldn't sleep because of the debt, and you sold your car for £ 8,000 , would you then go out again and spend that £8,000 on another car ??? NO , it is called economics !!!

Last edited:
Great point about Dean Windass TTS, another player who could be described as a journeyman. I would suggest that Furlong has played more "top level" games than Windass.

I suggest that people give him a chance, I would also further venture that Tilly may well know more about players than most on here.

Give the guy a farkin chance.

& if I read once more, "Where has all Eastwoods money gone" , I will scream - PEOPLE WE ARE A SMALL CLUB, WITH DEBTS , WE NEARLY HAD NO CLUB SOME YEARS AGO - FORGIVE ME IF I AM NOT SURPRISED THAT WE HAVEN'T SPENT THE 1.5 MILLION WE GOT FOR HIM. If you are in debt by £ 10,000 and you couldn't sleep because of the debt, and you sold your car for £ 8,000 , would you then go out again and spend that £8,000 on another car ??? NO , it is called economics !!!

Completely correct. Well said.

Back