• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Southend United sign Paul Furlong

As Brushy says on BluesWorld "Paul Furlong is super fit and has a body fat level that is less than any player we had at the club last season" now that for a 39 year old very is impressive. :clap:

I dont however think as someone mentioned above he will be the difference between promotion or staying in league one, but also he wont get us relegated either so nothing to lose.

Normally by geting in experienced heads, though, you tend to bring greater consistency to the team as the experienced player tends to have fewer off days even if the on days aren't as great as they used to be. They also exert a calming influence on the younger players. Given that last season we went from bad to really good to atrocious to amazing to ok again. I think having an experienced pro in (I believe last season that player would have been Gower or Flahavan by the end of the season) will help us maintain momentum in good times and prevent bad runs from lasting too long.

In short, I think having an experienced head inthe dressing room may well have won us promotion last season. There are far too many other variables to say that with any sort of certainty though.

As Brushy says on BluesWorld "Paul Furlong is super fit and has a body fat level that is less than any player we had at the club last season" now that for a 39 year old very is impressive. :clap:

Not hard if you compare him to Ricketts, a whale has less of a body fat level!!

Wonder if they did the same check on Ricketts?
As Brushy says on BluesWorld "Michael Ricketts is super fat and has a body fat level that is higher than all the players we have ever had in the club history all rolled into one"

When asked to comment Ricketts merely belched & said "I intend to spend my substantial ill earned wealth on a vast plethora of sugary, high fat snacks & Ron Martin can kiss my fat one...."

When asked about his training regime Ricketts merely chuckled fattly & said "I walk to my local Spar 3 times daily for Pepperami's & Monster Munch & also jog from my front door to the Ice Cream Van; all that day time TV takes a lot of calories out of a man. If Tilson thinks I'll be running along the Seafront he can kiss my fat one..."

The rest is history..

Last edited:
Luton Not Happy

Luton are not happy with Southend or Furlong over signing. :)

Luton Town director Stephen Browne has admitted that the club were shocked to learn that veteran striker Paul Furlong had decided to join Southend United.

The 39-year-old was out of contract with the Hatters this summer and has opted for a new challenge at Roots Hall.

LTFC2020 director Browne told the Luton News: "The first we knew about it was the Southend website. As far as we were aware he was still a player contracted to Luton Town.

"We would have expected him to report back for pre-season training.

"We will hopefully be out of administration by the end of July and we would have had an opportunity to speak to him.

"He is what you would call a model pro, but we are a little bit frustrated that the rules haven't been followed."

Link

Luton are not happy with Southend or Furlong over signing. :)

Link

Nice to see we've got one over the Hatters. They may think they're the bigger club because they won the Littlewoods Cup in 1988 and they used to have a plastic pitch but this proves that nowadays all the top stars want to play for Southend.

hope we've done everything legal, and that we're not in for a 10 point penalty for briech of rules, or something stupid like that.

I wouldn't have thought so. Surely as his contract was up he was a free agent so could sign for anyone he wanted to. My understanding is that it is courtesy more than anything else that you deal with the previous club :unsure:

He wasn't a free agent at the time though and wouldn't have been for another week.

That said, my understanding was that a player could sign a pre-contract agreement elsewhere in the final month of his contract at a Club so I don't see what we've done wrong.

He wasn't a free agent at the time though and wouldn't have been for another week.

That said, my understanding was that a player could sign a pre-contract agreement elsewhere in the final month of his contract at a Club so I don't see what we've done wrong.

Ah, I seem to have confused my dates as the window doesn't open until July! :doh:

Actually i believe that you can sign a pre-contract agreement as early as January of the year the contract runs out so we are in the clear

That's only the case on cross-border transfers (despite what previous versions of Football Manager have had us believe). Players in England are free to talk to foreign clubs when they have six months left on their contract but it's one month in the same country.

That's only the case on cross-border transfers (despite what previous versions of Football Manager have had us believe). Players are free to talk to foreign clubs when they have six months left on their contract but it's one month in the same country.

look at my example!

Look at my edit.

Whilst it probably wouldn't stand up in a legal challenge, Football Association rules preclude players talking to other English clubs in the last six months of their contract.

Look at my edit.

Whilst it probably wouldn't stand up in a legal challenge, Football Association rules preclude players talking to other English clubs in the last six months of their contract.

That does sound right thinking about it but even with those rules, it would still have been ok to approach him when we did I take it?

That's my understanding. I don't see what we could have done wrong the same as if anyone is talking to Flahavan & Gower now I don't think they'd be doing anything wrong.

Bit of a let down if you ask me in signing Furlong. Least Goater was iconic at Man City, and was a major success. Furlong is nothing more than a journey man.

TBH i think it's a pretty pi$$ poor signing by Tilson, i hope i'm wrong but when i first read the news we'd signed him i couldn't believe it.

:(

Bit of a let down if you ask me in signing Furlong. Least Goater was iconic at Man City, and was a major success. Furlong is nothing more than a journey man.

TBH i think it's a pretty pi$$ poor signing by Tilson, i hope i'm wrong but when i first read the news we'd signed him i couldn't believe it.

:(

So predictable...

Back