• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Is Laurent much cop?

Je voudrais?

• Total voters
We've only had glimpses of the best of Laurent, eg Swindon at home at skinning Ashley Cole at Stamford Bridge.

Think if he can get a good run and steer clear of injury he could be a very good player for us.

I think Laurent will always be that type of player - the type who will on occassion, be unplayable, but will largely be a source of frustration.

He has ability, no doubt about it, I have never seen a centre half turned so many times in one game as the Leeds back line were in October, but since his injury, he has struggled to have an impact.

All about expectation for me - if you're expecting him to bag you 20 goals a season and be consistent every game, you're going to be dissapointed, if you accept he won't be a constant presence in the first team, but will have days which will win you matches and be a joy to watch, then you will be pleasantly surprised I'm sure.

He can turn defenders in a single movement in a way that I havn't seen down here since Richard Chadette all those years ago. The trouble with Laurent he will only do it once maybe twice in a game. Whether thats because defenders get wise to it and drop off him a bit more but if that is the case he should then make use of the precious extra space and respect he has been given by them. Also once he has got goal side and left two or sometimes three behind him he doesnt make use of the opportunity and make something of it.

To be honest, in the remaining seven games I can realistically envisage big Frank netting another 15-20 goals on top of his existing tally. Some may say this is 'silly talk' but I've seen enough to be convinced that Laurent is a soccer time bomb and that Damien Scannell will light the fuse with some dangerous wing-play. Our march towards promotion has been relentless since January and Francis Laurent is poised to take the Shrimpers to a higher level still.

A work in progress for me. Could be very very good, however equally could fade out of the picture.

Next season will be the test, as he is still young and will improve the more full time football he plays in England.

Personally i think he's a seasonal player, if there is such a thing. ie. he'll play well in the the summer/spring and not well in winter/autumn. Probably suffers from SAD syndrome.
DOCTOR!

Need to play it to his feet and stop hoofing long balls to the strikers. He isnt great in the air, thats not his strength.

You don't want to build a team around him, but he is an excellent squad player to have and can be particularly valuable coming off the bench. Whether fans can ever accept that is another matter.

revs is the perfect partner for him

I agree with this. The stats prove it.

Bristol Rovers Away. 27 mins on the pitch at the same time. Revell set up Laurent.
Leeds Home. 76 mins.
Col Ewe Home. 76 mins. Revell's deflection set up Laurent.
Telford Away. 90 mins. Laurent scored.
Tranmere Away. 90 mins. Revell scored.
Luton Home. 77 mins.
Leicester Away. 72 mins.
Huddersfield Home. 90 mins.
Hartlepool Away. 13 mins.

Total mins - 591
Total goals (Team) - 11
Total goals (Laurent & Revell) - 4 (2 set-up by Revell)

When on the pitch at the same time, Laurent and Revell have scored 36.36% of Southend's goals and Southend have scored every 53.73 minutes. At the moment, Southend are scoring every 70.17 minutes.

Laurent has played 1030 minutes for us, which is about 25.36% of our games so far. Southend have scored 21 goals, which is a goal every 49.05 minutes and he has scored 4 of them and contributed to more. Also we have only conceded 11 goal when Laurent has been playing, which is a goal conceded every 93.64 minutes!

Compare this to when Laurent has not been playing. There has been 3110 minutes when Laurent has not been on the pitch and in this time Southend have scored 38 goals, which is a goal every 81.84 minutes. Also we have conceded 54 without Laurent, which is a goal conceded every 57.59 minutes!

Hope this was a good read ;)

Last edited:
I agree with this. The stats prove it.

Bristol Rovers Away. 27 mins. Revell set up Laurent.
Leeds Home. 76 mins.
Col Ewe Home. 76 mins. Revell's deflection set up Laurent.
Telford Away. 90 mins. Laurent scored.
Tranmere Away. 90 mins. Revell scored.
Luton Home. 77 mins.
Leicester Away. 72 mins.
Huddersfield Home. 90 mins.
Hartlepool Away. 13 mins.

Total mins - 591
Total goals (Team) - 11
Total goals (Laurent & Revell) - 4 (2 set-up by Revell)

When on the pitch at the same time, Laurent and Revell have scored 36.36% of Southend's goals and Southend have scored every 53.73 minutes. At the moment, Southend are scoring every 70.17 minutes.

Laurent has played 1030 minutes for us, which is about 25.36% of our games so far. Southend have scored 21 goals, which is a goal every 49.05 minutes and he has scored 4 of them and contributed to more. Also we have only conceded 11 goal when Laurent has been playing, which is a goal conceded every 93.64 minutes!

Compare this to when Laurent has not been playing. There has been 3110 minutes when Laurent has not been on the pitch and in this time Southend have scored 38 goals, which is a goal every 81.84 minutes. Also we have conceded 54 without Laurent, which is a goal conceded every 57.59 minutes!

Hope this was a good read ;)

That's FAR too much maths for me, whilst reading it i started doing this :dim:, then it went to this :dizzy: so i started thinking maybe you are :liar: but then i realised you must be :sherlock: so therefore :clap: ;)

I thought JFC scored away at Telford?

Oh and the stats hardly prove it, 4 goals from 11 apperances is acceptable for a forward, but not a partnership.

I thought JFC scored away at Telford?

Oh and the stats hardly prove it, 4 goals from 11 apperances is acceptable for a forward, but not a partnership.
Laurent and JFC.
Link
(Laurent, Clarke and JFC in a 2-2 draw if you believe the OS ;))

Not sure where you got the 11 apperances from but they played 591 minutes together (6 games and 51 minutes).

Last edited:
Sorry, thought the 11 was apps not team goals.

Also got confused on the 90mins Laurent scored front, thought you meant he scored on the 90th, get you now.

That's FAR too much maths for me, whilst reading it i started doing this :dim:, then it went to this :dizzy: so i started thinking maybe you are :liar: but then i realised you must be :sherlock: so therefore :clap: ;)

erm ... Thanks ;) I am looking into a possible career in a sports statistician (if anyone has any advice or info then PM me thanks :))

Last edited:
Back