• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

100 best goals against

tommytwoholes

Carrying on the theme i thought i would start this one.

Mine has to be and memory has faided a little over the years gorgie kinkladze for man city at roots hall 1996. I remember getting to the game about kick off time and saying man city big team may bring a 1000 down for a tuesday night. How wrong i was . The whole north bank was full and city premiership bound played with some confidence . I dont exactly remember how the scoring went , but i do know it finished 3-2 to city with tilly hitting the post in the last minute. But what i do remember is Kinkladze taking a pass from rossler on the chest then the knee and thumping a bullet on the volley from about 20 yards and half the southend fans applauding a truly fantastic goal. That was an awsome game played infront of a sparse crowd of around 7000 odd considering the opposition.

21-10-89 Steve Butler's overhead kick for Maidstone United in our 0-1 defeat at home ... or was it just that our defence was sh!te on that particular day that they made it look good? I suspect so ...

DJ Campbell's goal against us last season for Brentford at Roots Hall (on 14th January 2006) is the only occasion that comes readily to mind where I've sat there and applauded an opposition goal.

It was a truly breathtaking strike... and the fact that it came in a thumping 4-1 victory for SUFC made it all the easier to appreciate!

biggrin.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Aug. 30 2006,16:46)]DJ Campbell's goal against us last season for Brentford at Roots Hall (on 14th January 2006) is the only occasion that comes readily to mind where I've sat there and applauded an opposition goal.

It was a truly breathtaking strike... and the fact that it came in a thumping 4-1 victory for SUFC made it all the easier to appreciate!

biggrin.gif

Matt
b******s, i was going to have that one! what a goal!

Good call ORM had completely forgotten that one, it was a cracker wasn't it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flashing Blade @ Aug. 30 2006,16:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Aug. 30 2006,16:41)]Paul Birch for Wolves hit an absolute screamer.
Paul Brush for Maidstone hit an even better one
I agree with this ine as well, it was a goal worthy of any goal of the month competition.

My choice has to be an own goal as well, it was on the 17th January 1989, we're away to Northampton in the Sherpa Vans trophy there's about 20 blues fans on a small terrace next to Northamptons scaffolding stand the game is even at 1-1, Northampton play the ball down the line and is fielded by I think it was Shane Westley (might have been Nicky Smith, things are a bit fuzzy) our keeper, god cant remeber his name either as he was our reserve keeper, called out and i can still remember it clearly, 'keepers', so Shane turned on a sixpence and from the corner of the area and sent a lovely curling lob into the top corner. Cue stunned silence from everyone in the ground followed by embarrassed cheers from the Cobblers, needless to say we lost 2-1 and we were out of the 'mickey mouse' cup for another year.

** If you were one of the 20 or so and can shed any further light on the fuzzy bits then please feel free to chip in **

[b said:
Quote[/b] (gbshrimper @ Aug. 30 2006,17:36)]That feller for Walsall
I presume you mean Roger Boli, the cheating little ****.

I don't care how good that goal might have been, he is still a cheat and he should have been sent off.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (weststander @ Aug. 30 2006,19:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flashing Blade @ Aug. 30 2006,16:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Aug. 30 2006,16:41)]Paul Birch for Wolves hit an absolute screamer.
Paul Brush for Maidstone hit an even better one
I agree with this ine as well, it was a goal worthy of any goal of the month competition.

My choice has to be an own goal as well, it was on the 17th January 1989, we're away to Northampton in the Sherpa Vans trophy there's about 20 blues fans on a small terrace next to Northamptons scaffolding stand the game is even at 1-1, Northampton play the ball down the line and is fielded by I think it was Shane Westley (might have been Nicky Smith, things are a bit fuzzy) our keeper, god cant remeber his name either as he was our reserve keeper, called out and i can still remember it clearly, 'keepers', so Shane turned on a sixpence and from the corner of the area and sent a lovely curling lob into the top corner. Cue stunned silence from everyone in the ground followed by embarrassed cheers from the Cobblers, needless to say we lost 2-1 and we were out of the 'mickey mouse' cup for another year.

** If you were one of the 20 or so and can shed any further light on the fuzzy bits then please feel free to chip in **
Weststander, you're stalking my opinions. You need to form some of your own
wink.gif

From that era, I reckon the keeper was Paul Newell but you've managed to pick one of only about four games I missed between 1989 and 1992 so I can't recall the goal. Blues World wasn't quite up and running then, it was trying to catch Ken Steggles' 6.25 sports bulletin on TVS news or you went without in those days!

Michael Dobson in the Southern Area final for Brentford. I believe he might have scored twice that night and I believe it was his first. Either way, I was right behind it in the East stand and he arrowed it in to the top corner. I think there may well be better but I have condemned them all to the dark depths of my mind. Rowlands' goal for QPR this season wasn't too shabby!

Does anybody remember a goal that joey beuchamp scored against us for oxford i think in the auto winsdshield trohpy around late 90's to 2000. I was in the south upper and he was all of 40 yards out no exageration. He has had a shot that just seemed to pick up pace and bent like a banana. I just remember thinking capleton is not going to save that. And i was proved right. The oxford fans celebrated with "WHAT A GOAL WHAT A GOAL WHAT A GOAL"

Another good call.

That was some strike. Shame he blotted his copybook by joining the hamsters.

Junior Agogo in the LDV area fianl at home!!

After missing a pen at their place, he hit an absolute belter, letting the ball drop pover his shoulder on the run and hit it on the volley at about 80mph past Darryl, unstopable strike!!

+ we won, so even better!!
biggrin.gif

How could I forget!!

Dave Burgess for SUSC and against SUFC in a pre-season friendly in 1999.

We were one of the best local sides in the area at the time having won Southend Sunday League and Cup double and cheekily asked Southend for a game - and Alan Little said yes.
We were expecting a youth side or staff team but the full first-team squad turned up.
Dave lobbed Mel Capleton from just inside Southend's half after he'd rushed out of his goal to make a clearance. The memory of it was made even better by the fact that his wife - who was filming the whole match - had turned away briefly to film two small children building sandcastles on the touchline (or something similar, you know how these stories spiral). This incident was mentioned in his divorce proceedings!

They/we won 7-1 but the really worrying thing for us (being, mostly, Southend fans) was that for 20 minutes we were the better side!

The game is actually in Southend's records as a bona fide friendly fixture and shows up on their `On this day in history' results thing on the database (I think it's something like 26th July). The Echo even gave it a decent match report.

Back