• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We did indeed have Upson on trial. If I remember correctly it was just before Ipswich released him. I remember watching him play for us against Canvey. I thought he had something about him but Tilly obviously didn't as that was the last we saw of him.

I think at the time we had Maher, Bailey and McCormack so he had tough competition then.

The guy that Tilson was impressed with on trial so he signed him and made the club lots of money out of. We can only wish to sign more like that.

the point was that he let him go as he didn't think he was good enough. What he Hooper has done since he left us is fantastic. But he could have done it with us also!

Billy Knott is interesting PB according to today's Echo.

Always rated him, looked excellent in the times I have seen him play against us for AFC Wombles. Obviously a local lad as well. Reminds me a lot of Nicky B*****

Someone I mentioned earlier on in the thread when he was released.

Would make an excellent addition to the squad. Is a goal scoring threat from midfield, something which was lacking last season, and can play in a few different positions.

Kentblues, Knott is a completely different player to Deegan. Robbie Weir, who was mentioned earlier in this thread, would be a like for like Deegan replacement.

That's a weird one - 79 games in two years at Bradford and still only 23 years old. Plays in a number of positions across midfield and has always looked decent whenever I've seen him. Sign him up.

Will Atkinson was also a regular starter for Bradford but they let him go. He hasn't exactly set the world alight for us!

Will Atkinson was also a regular starter for Bradford but they let him go. He hasn't exactly set the world alight for us!

What makes you say that? I personally think he is our most unappreciated player. If the bloke had short shorts and a beard you'd love him.

What makes you say that? I personally think he is our most unappreciated player. If the bloke had short shorts and a beard you'd love him.

He was also a regular starter in their L2 promotion side- let go when they went up.
however, agree he is under appreciated and is valuable member of the squad

I really don't see what he brings to the team. Doesn't score many goals, isn't great defensively, never hits defence splitting passes...just runs around a lot. A league 2 player imo.

I really don't see what he brings to the team. Doesn't score many goals, isn't great defensively, never hits defence splitting passes...just runs around a lot. A league 2 player imo.

Except he is..
Very high work rate, constantly closing people down and on numerous occasions I've seen him chase back and make crucial interceptions. Is he the first name on the team sheet? No. But a very useful squad player. L2 he would play every week, L1 a squad player.

Ryan Leonard played better when Atkinson was next to him. Pre injury of course.

Reuben Reid, who has been mentioned on this thread, has been offered a new deal at Plymouth.

My guess at the striker we are chasing, along with six other clubs, is AJ Leitch-Smith. He has turned down a new deal at Port Vale, and is attracting interest elsewhere. A case of putting 2 and 2 together, and probably coming up with 7, but would be happy with him. Was excellent at Crewe, and the second half of this season scoring 12 in 26 after scoring none in 16.

Reuben Reid, who has been mentioned on this thread, has been offered a new deal at Plymouth.

My guess at the striker we are chasing, along with six other clubs, is AJ Leitch-Smith. He has turned down a new deal at Port Vale, and is attracting interest elsewhere. A case of putting 2 and 2 together, and probably coming up with 7, but would be happy with him. Was excellent at Crewe, and the second half of this season scoring 12 in 26 after scoring none in 16.

Reid is I think out of contract. Had they gone up no chance- but does he want another year in L2. I would have him- always rated him and think he would be great for us. Not sure he travels well- tends to stay in SW but if we could afford him why not- have never particular heard PB mention him though so maybe not on radar.

AJ is a possibility- might have 6 clubs after him but all likely to be L1 or L2 so may have a chance dependent on who the competition is.

Reid is I think out of contract. Had they gone up no chance- but does he want another year in L2. I would have him- always rated him and think he would be great for us. Not sure he travels well- tends to stay in SW but if we could afford him why not- have never particular heard PB mention him though so maybe not on radar.

Yes, Reid is out of contract, and is one of 13 that have been offered new deals by Plymouth.

Another is Curtis Nelson, who is their skipper and centre half. Would take the pair of them in a heart beat, both excellent players.

Yes, Reid is out of contract, and is one of 13 that have been offered new deals by Plymouth.

Another is Curtis Nelson, who is their skipper and centre half. Would take the pair of them in a heart beat, both excellent players.

Agree- you would think given they are L2 we could offer something attractive financial along with L1 football- but Plymouth like Portsmouth will be failing on a budget that PB could probably only dream of. We will see..

Reid and Nelson would be two fantastic signings, although I highly doubt we'd get either. I wouldn't be surprised if both got offers from the Championship, especially Nelson. Reid is more likely to go to League One, but there are plenty of other clubs who would be interested who I imagine could pay him a lot more.

Having said that, it's about time we invest our money into younger players with the potential to grow with the club or provide some re-sale value. Investing in the likes of Hunt and Mooney just hasn't worked, so maybe it's time to alter our scouting criteria.

Well my fellow potato heads we move into June. The first earlys have been picked from the ground with 11 clubs picking up 23 players from 10 th May to 31st. Never cast a clout til May is out, or some mad saying like that. Will Southend be amongst the second earlys? still plenty of time before we harvest a main crop, but apparently we are digging for earlies according to our head gardener and lots of ducks have also been lined up, hopefully to be brought in before xmas

Back