• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As stated by many posters on here....we could be waiting a loooooooooooooooong time for the Payne & Bentley tribunal money to ; a; be agreed and b; to be paid.

Everyone (me inc), gets a bit p*ssed off with "we're going to move early in the close season"...and nothing materialises..frustration grows, worry as others buy up and our man is on holiday..(unless he's already done the deal(s) :whistling:.
My simplistic take on it is;
Identify who we can afford, are they likely to become available, would they like a life beside the seaside?
If 2 out of 3 are agreeable...the moment we were safe in League 1; not going into play-offs or relegation zone..gather in your "undesirables", inform them to start looking elsewhere, this gives players notice to plan their futures, and potentially frees up salaries for new to signed up.

Simples eh, I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that....but hey, I'm as frustrated as the rest :homer::homer: = Double D'oh !

With about 10 players going, and likely good money for Payne and Bentley , do you think Westy we are in a far worse position than the other 50% of clubs in our league who have captured 27 signings , so far in 3 weeks. Not only that but they are clubs like Chesterfield and Shrewsbury, do they have a lot more money than us? Id like to think we could compete with them, or take a gamble and sign at least one decent, quality, if not costly player early on as Phil made a big point of stating?

Yes I think those clubs you stated will be able to offer better than us. They have owners who have improved their infrastructure and are willing and able to invest.

Yes I think those clubs you stated will be able to offer better than us. They have owners who have improved their infrastructure and are willing and able to invest.

Youve got to be fair to Ron, since PB has been here his backed him every off season. Not to the amount other chairman have, but no one would want us to out spend what we can afford again.

got to agree with Hudson ,trouble is that most of the signings especially the strikers that PB has signed have turned out to be Dross, whether thats just what they are or because of the system set in place by PB i dont know.

I was so excited when we signed Mooney and Hunt, but that didn't last long, then Barnett came in and the excitement returned but that went too.
I hate June, it is always like this. Players on holidays, agents shuffling their money, managers wondering who is available and wanting to pay more than the chairman.
Best to watch cricket and Euros then late July, see who took a punt!

Last edited:
Speaking of Shrewsbury, I see they've released Jermaine Grandison. Big 6ft 4in defender who can play centre back or full back. Has had injury problems this season but only 25 so not sure if it's anything recurring. Sounds like a smashing lad by all accounts and was a fans favourite with many Shrews fans for his on and off the field antics. Definitely worth a look.

IF there is a "sell on" clause with Mr Vardy then Fleetwood will land a hefty pay cheque; it could give them a vital "punch power" for the next season.

IF there is a "sell on" clause with Mr Vardy then Fleetwood will land a hefty pay cheque; it could give them a vital "punch power" for the next season.

Equally though, Iofra at Wolves is likely to be on the move this summer, and we have a sell on clause involved in that. Talks of an £8m pound move to Palace.

Equally though, Iofra at Wolves is likely to be on the move this summer, and we have a sell on clause involved in that. Talks of an £8m pound move to Palace.

Do you know that we have a sell on clause or are you guessing? I can't seem to find any details on his move to Wolves at all. I highly doubt Ron would have let him get away on the cheap though.

It was a sale when he was 15 through that thing where the premier league clubs force you to sell your best young players for a bag of peanuts and a sell on clause. I read a skin read a story which suggested 20% sell on. But there are lots of quirks in those transfers, such as time at selling club etc. so I'm not totally sure. He was v impressive in the Toulon tournament though

Robbie Weir from Burton has signed for Orient. A good defensive midfielder and would of been a good signing.

That would be nice and would boost the coffers substantially boost the coffers.

Robbie Weir from Burton has signed for Orient. A good defensive midfielder and would of been a good signing.

We were in for him I believe. Brown namedropped him in the Echo a few weeks back.

Do you know that we have a sell on clause or are you guessing? I can't seem to find any details on his move to Wolves at all. I highly doubt Ron would have let him get away on the cheap though.

Someone who worked at the Club at the time has confirmed that it's true.

No way! Step over, step over, fall over!!!

Quite agree (well almost) but I also remember games when the defence were under pressure and they could give the ball to him and he would keep the ball long enough to allow the whole team to move back up the pitch ......... he was (and may still be) better than Straker or Weston in my eyes.

We were in for him I believe. Brown namedropped him in the Echo a few weeks back.

His name was mentioned in the Echo, yet Chris Phillips has said we were never in for him.

I see Peterborough have continued their policy in signing the best players in league two by signing Newport’s Andrew Hughes and Mansfield’s Ryan Tafazolli. Two of the best players in their positions from that league....and both on free transfers. The defender (Taffazoli) is a giant at 6ft 5 and is a great age at 24.
They've done their homework with those two.....I just hope we've done ours too.

Back