• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 Ashes

cerbera45

Coach⭐
Now that the cricketing summer for Test's has been put to bed for another year it seems about the right time (although 3 CC matches still to play) to ponder who should be on the plane Down Under at the end of 2017. It will be quite interesting to find out who would get into people's squads (I believe the usual squad size is about 16) and who is left out.

My gut feeling is that they will go with :-

Batsmen

Cook
Stoneman
Hameed
Root
Malan
Hales
Westley

Wicketkeepers

Bairstow
Buttler

All-Rounders

Stokes
Ali
Woakes

Bowlers

Broad
Anderson
Roland-Jones
Crane

Cook
Stoneman
Root
Jennings
Hales
Malan
Buttler
Bairstow
Ali
Wood
Broad
Anderson
Stokes
TRJ
Crane
Woakes

A bit bowler heavy but I can see the extra bowler being needed and with Stokes, Woakes and Ali's batting being as good as it is I think we can get away with it. In Aus I'd like to see Hales at 5 as can be a match winner on his day and probably best of the current batch we have at our disposal!

Cook
Stoneman
Root
Jennings
Hales
Malan
Buttler
Bairstow
Ali
Wood
Broad
Anderson
Stokes
TRJ
Crane
Woakes

A bit bowler heavy but I can see the extra bowler being needed and with Stokes, Woakes and Ali's batting being as good as it is I think we can get away with it. In Aus I'd like to see Hales at 5 as can be a match winner on his day and probably best of the current batch we have at our disposal!

I'd put Ranger at 9 :o)

Do you think Gary Ballance could get a recall? personally I doubt it, but he's been batting well for Yorkshire this season.

Cook
Stoneman
Hameed
Root
Malan
Hales

Bairstow
Foakes

Stokes
Ali
Woakes

Anderson
Broad
TRJ
Wood (with own physio and cotton wool)
Crane

Do you think Gary Ballance could get a recall? personally I doubt it, but he's been batting well for Yorkshire this season.

And he's very good mates with Root. I don't want to see him recalled, but I wouldn't be surprised.

And he's very good mates with Root. I don't want to see him recalled, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Me too.

But I have this feeling he might get a ticket on the plane to Australia. (#water boy?)

If rumours are true, Root busted hell and high water to get him into the test V SA. And to be fair, he did kinda ok, until he broke he's finger.

Not sure what the next 3 county matches will bring him, but according to the bbc he has averaged 92 runs this season (over the last 7 games games he's been involved in).
Much better than Westley, and defo on par with Stoneman, to be fair, not all too shabby for a colour blind international batsman!

Toby Roland Jones a big doubt now - lower back stress fracture. Shame, I had liked what I had seen so far.

To be honest, I think we all would have been surprised if Westley wasn't dropped from the initial squad, he's hardly set the world a light since returning from national duty back to Essex (28 / 6 /36 / 13). Averaging just 27 runs across our last 3 matches.

Those figures are at just a county level, so hardly scream "Ashes material" for an England upper order batsman. Problem is, we don't have another stand out batsman that is much better. Who ever we end up with, I think it will be case of "more luck than judgement".

In other news, we obviously know all about Stokes nightclub antics, but I understand Hales was also involved, anyone know to what extent?..if both missed out, we would really be up the proverbial creek. Also the BBC Essex commentators think that Porter would most likely figure (in some way?) for the New Zealand tour in February after the ashes. Which would possibly mean we would miss him for opening 1 or 2 games of next season.

Slightly off topic from England, but I see the Lancs have been busy today, snatching up Jennings, & Onions for next season, as well as Flintoff on the board.

Last edited:
I hope Craig Overton is a better red ball bowler because he's atrocious with the white ball whenever I've seen him play. I can understand Porter not playing here - think England will see him as the heir to Anderson and so won't want to throw him into this.

Vince is a real 'throw enough **** and hope it will stick' selection. Hasn't had a good season for Hampshire, is still just as loose as he was when he played before. Real desperation about our batting. Thankfully Australia have similar problems.

Sometimes the England selectors do my head in. Some of the choices they have made in the past have been embarrassing. I still think sadly that Australia will destroy us.:thumbdown:

Just seen the squad. Jesus, Ballance and Vince. They really don't have a clue. Happy to see Foakes in the squad though. I would like to see the Stokes, Woakes, Foakes show.

Lets have a look at Ballance's recent Test form.

Last 25 Test innings - 18, 23, 1, 0, 29, 6, 61, 0, 32, 14, 6, 43, 23, 70, 28, 8, 17, 1, 9, 9, 5, 20, 34, 27, 4. Average 19.16.

Back