• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane 44 years to the day, or night should I say

Remember it so well. I was half way up the South Bank directly behind the goal. Wouldn’t have been played today (hadn’t the original date been moved to weather?)

An amazing night. Such a strong Liverpool team too. Snow in the face standing in the vast South Bank. Got back home in time to see the highlights on Sportsnight with David Coleman. Took 3 weeks to properly thaw out...but would not have missed it for the world. Great memories. Derrick Parker...so close to making it even more memorable.

Last edited:
Working in London got back in time to join the huge queue back from Shakespeare Drive joining close to Victoria Ave, a touch annoyed as a regular home & away supporter, but nothing I could do, (maybe called in ill that day, but too late now!), and got in around half time!!! Caught more on the highlights after, but what a night as everybody says, as was the replay, ended up in the Kop!

This game and night has been covered many times on here. John Motson said this nearly 3 years ago.

But the 74-year-old insists he will never forget his only ever game at Roots Hall.

Motson watched the Shrimpers hold then European champions Liverpool to a 0-0 draw in the third round of the FA Cup back in 1979.

And Motson told Echosport it was up there with the coldest he has ever been in the commentary box.

“It’s definitely up there with the coldest I’ve ever been at a football game and I was absolutely frozen when I finished,” recalled Motson.

''I’ve got good memories of Southend but I only ever did one commentary there.

“I don’t have too many memories of the game because there were no goals but I remember Ray Clemence was in goal for Liverpool and I think he was a frozen snowman too!

“Southend played pretty well on the night and were thoroughly deserving of the draw they got to take it to a replay.

“But I just remember it was so cold they wrapped me up in tarpaulin because I was sitting on the roof of the stand and it was snowing.”

https://www.shrimperzone.com/forums...g-southend-united-draw-with-liverpool.102816/

h_00207395.jpg

DVcl3N7XUAAHzxY.jpg

Last edited:
I was a 13 year old and sat in the East stand - what a night - haven't had a night like that for a long while !!

What a night!
The snow ensured it was a lottery and Southend could have actually won the game.
Liverpool fans had the North bank and it was not full.
The South Bank was absolutely rammed.
The Liverpool fans left their paint spayed signs near the ground and the paint spray stayed there for many a year.
As for the replay 0-3 and the scouse fans made it quite unpleasant for the Southend fans on the way back to the coaches.

I was only 15 and I usually went by train from Wickford, but my Brother in law wanted to go, so he got my second ticket as a season ticket holder, hence he drove, we missed the first 15 minutes, 'cos he insisted on driving as part of the deal, leaving later than I was going to, if I'd have gone on my own with my mates ......GRRRRR
In an odd way, I am particularly interested to read this Cmwow :
Having lived in and supported Southend most of my life, I’ve so often had people tell me they’ve only ever been to Roots Hall once and even though they had tickets, they were stood outside queueing till half-time.
I’d thought all regulars got there in good time We all left the pub soon after 6.While we’d been sinking our pints,everything outside had turned white !

In an odd way, I am particularly interested to read this Cmwow :
Having lived in and supported Southend most of my life, I’ve so often had people tell me they’ve only ever been to Roots Hall once and even though they had tickets, they were stood outside queueing till half-time.
I’d thought all regulars got there in good time We all left the pub soon after 6.While we’d been sinking our pints,everything outside had turned white !
Funnily enough, I kept quiet when we had other big matches !!! So he did only go once!!

Remember it so well. I was half way up the South Bank directly behind the goal. Wouldn’t have been played today (hadn’t the original date been moved to weather?)
Yes originally scheduled for the previous Saturday, 7th January.
Think you mean Derek, Stuart had departed us by then.
And you mean Derrick :Smile: , Derek Parker was the other one, who played for West Ham and Col U between '47 and '61.

Last edited:
Remember it well too, no ticket needed just pay on the gate. In the North bank.

Does anyone know how many the South Bank used to hold? Assume over 20k as our official capacity was 35k.

I was 22 and remember getting the train back from work in London to eat at my parents in Shoebury before going to the match with my brothers. While we were in the house, more snow fell and it took us forever to get to RH. What with that and the crowds, we only got in part way through the first half. Fantastic match and atmosphere. About your only chance of seeing midweek football on TV back then was Sportsnight with Coleman. Highlights of the match were being shown that night. The bad weather meant that it also took us ages to get home. We walked in at the exact same point in the highlights as we had when we walked into Roots Hall! Happy days.

Back