• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane 44 years to the day, or night should I say

As for the replay 0-3 and the scouse fans made it quite unpleasant for the Southend fans on the way back to the coaches.
Tell me about it Mel!. It was like Indiana Jones in the cave in the 1st 10 mins of raiders of the Lost Ark!!. Gangs of rat faced scally's on the prowl for easy targets everywhere.
Jan & me literally got back to our coach with about 5 secs to spare. Coach driver opened the door, Jan got on & i turned around to see a gang of them yards away. I was able to give the leader a 'Bobby Charlton' left footer on his shin!. As i had a pair of steel capped working boots on, hopefully he remembered that for a couple of weeks!.
'Tricky Dickie' & Paul Oz got mugged & beat in Stanley park after the game, & Gary S from Shoebury who hired a mini van for the trip had it totally trashed as well.
As we say.... the good old days!.

I was in the west stand with my brother. Bloody cold that night.
But it was so special to be there, Liverpool had so many star players. And was the best team of that era.
I enjoyed the footy so much more back in the good day’s.

That's right .It waas originally due to be played on the Saturday.
We had heavy snow overnight on Sat 30th, which caused the postponement of our league game v Watford on NYD. That was a shame, as that game would have seen a crowd of around 13,000 & i had printed 5,000 programmes for that game in expectation of what the club expected the attendance to be.
Then the club covered the pitch, hoping the snow would protect it from freezing during the week. That didn't happen & on the Fri it was postponed as the pitch was still frozen.
Incidently, the replay at Anfield was due to be played on the Mon, but that was called off due to the weather, & played 2 days later.

This was the great Liverpool team in my opinion. They stayed at what is now the Holiday Inn in Basildon. The whole town and around seemed to be there. The snow was a real leveler and we had one good chance that I like to remember as a great save by Ray Clemence than a miss by wasn't it Derrick Parker.
The next time I saw Ray Clemence was in Basildon. I was working in Basildon and was driving about and went up Clay Hill Road. Bugger me that's Ray Clemence I said to myself. He was standing at the door of a church in black coat looking somber. I soon realized why as I passed the funeral cortege coming in the opposite direction. The funeral was to a woman who lived in Basildon and was a staunch Liverpool fan and went to as many games as she could. She died at Hillsborough and Liverpool arranged for a player to go to every funeral.

Last edited:
Was a good night but I must say that I enjoyed the experience at Anfield even better.

Had none of the problems described by BBBL earlier in the thread, found all the Liverpool fans in the Kop and on the way out very appreciative of us coming all that way in the dreadful weather.

Tell me about it Mel!. It was like Indiana Jones in the cave in the 1st 10 mins of raiders of the Lost Ark!!. Gangs of rat faced scally's on the prowl for easy targets everywhere.
Jan & me literally got back to our coach with about 5 secs to spare. Coach driver opened the door, Jan got on & i turned around to see a gang of them yards away. I was able to give the leader a 'Bobby Charlton' left footer on his shin!. As i had a pair of steel capped working boots on, hopefully he remembered that for a couple of weeks!.
'Tricky Dickie' & Paul Oz got mugged & beat in Stanley park after the game, & Gary S from Shoebury who hired a mini van for the trip had it totally trashed as well.
Yep,i was in that van BBBL and so was E4B&BB...Big Ron (RIP mate) who was a Pool & SUFC fan warned us in the van about Pool fans...i thought,as the Beatles song goes "yeh,yeh,yeh (we are from Sarfend,no probs)...but he was right.

Yep,i was in that van BBBL and so was E4B&BB...Big Ron (RIP mate) who was a Pool & SUFC fan warned us in the van about Pool fans...i thought,as the Beatles song goes "yeh,yeh,yeh (we are from Sarfend,no probs)...but he was right.
Carl, Chris F & Dave W were also with you, if my memory is correct?.

TBH,cannot remember who was in the back with us.E4B&BB remembers better than myself.
I tried to make it back to the van after the game,but there were loads of "herberts" hanging around,so i headed for the coaches,needing a lift back.But the van turned up later and picked me and maybe some others up.
Iirc,one lad was AWOL,not even at the coaches and someone said they heard he had been taken to hospital.Im sure we went there but thank God that was not true.
I was wearing a donkey jacket from the building firm i was working for at the time (Wiggins).That was quite in down south.Loads of young scousers wore parkers that had been "out" for yonks.
I got split up from the rest,there is a car park(where we parked the van), as i walked towards the ground,a car drove past me,just missing me by a two foot or so.
Then it stopped and reversed back towards me,i got out of the way.It was full with five lads in it.
They said something to me...i replied in my best scouse.."do what wack" ...you cockney this and that,then drove the car at me again.I ran between some parked car to get away only to end up opposite(outside) a pub full of more Pool fans..I thought things cannot get much worse than this...but they did.
If they had wanted to hit me with the car,they could have done so.They only wanted to scare me ( i think!!)...that city scared me

great night .. me and my now brother in law were in the south bank bloody freezing and the scaffold support bars dotted around the huge set off concrete steps were great to stand on... what a crowd... what a result.. when you look at liverpool players on show...we have many a great night at the hall... up the blues!

The three tossers who mugged Dick and Paul had befriended them in the ground and had stood watching the game and talking to them most of the second half . Outside after the game the three tossers put knives to Dick and Pauls throats and had there money followed by a few punches and kicks before they walked off .

The three tossers who mugged Dick and Paul had befriended them in the ground and had stood watching the game and talking to them most of the second half . Outside after the game the three tossers put knives to Dick and Pauls throats and had there money followed by a few punches and kicks before they walked off .
Jan & me were in the stand opp where the teams come out sitting near the Anfield Rd end, & we actually saw Dick & Paul chatting to some blokes in the Annie Rd end during the game. Sounds daft but we def did, but didn't obviously know they were Scousers.
Stopped at Warrington services on M62 en route back, & Dicky & Paul were in there, with a few bruises on their faces & Paul told me what had happened.
The 'friendly' Scallys even took them into the Kop before the game finished, then came the classic 'we're show you a short cut back to your transport, so you don't get ambushed', which was across Stanley Park ( wonder how that got it's name? ).
Alarm bells didn't ring ( you could debate why would they? ), then their sly true motives were revealed. In all my decades of going to games all over the country, & the many stories i've heard from fans of many clubs, none come anywhere near the amount of fans who got slashed & robbed going to games in that city. Brian Murray & Ray Tully got mugged at Lime St station in 73, after watching Spurs play there.

Jan & me were in the stand opp where the teams come out sitting near the Anfield Rd end, & we actually saw Dick & Paul chatting to some blokes in the Annie Rd end during the game. Sounds daft but we def did, but didn't obviously know they were Scousers.
Stopped at Warrington services on M62 en route back, & Dicky & Paul were in there, with a few bruises on their faces & Paul told me what had happened.
The 'friendly' Scallys even took them into the Kop before the game finished, then came the classic 'we're show you a short cut back to your transport, so you don't get ambushed', which was across Stanley Park ( wonder how that got it's name? ).
Alarm bells didn't ring ( you could debate why would they? ), then their sly true motives were revealed. In all my decades of going to games all over the country, & the many stories i've heard from fans of many clubs, none come anywhere near the amount of fans who got slashed & robbed going to games in that city. Brian Murray & Ray Tully got mugged at Lime St station in 73, after watching Spurs play there.
Remember Jaffa , Simmo , Pete H , Tank and Crust going to see Chelsea play Everton . On the station when they got there Tank wanted to go for a leak . When Tank came out the toilet four arseholes appeared and asked Tank the time to sus his accent , he shook his head and started to walk fast back to the others , never was he so pleased to see Jaffa .

I rember only to well going through the park me and a lage group got to he other side of the park to the coaches Only to see a baying group beating the **** out of some poor old bloke .Al large group of shrimpers jumped of the coach to aid the guy .Poor sod took a real beating and had his wallet nicked .

I rember only to well going through the park me and a lage group got to he other side of the park to the coaches Only to see a baying group beating the **** out of some poor old bloke .Al large group of shrimpers jumped of the coach to aid the guy .Poor sod took a real beating and had his wallet nicked .
No point in getting into a debate of what society was like back then. We all know of the aggro which went on & many fans got a few slaps & boots & that was that.
But in that city they had their own rules, stabbings & robbing were the normal fate for those who were targeted, & that's a fact.

No point in getting into a debate of what society was like back then. We all know of the aggro which went on & many fans got a few slaps & boots & that was that.
But in that city they had their own rules, stabbings & robbing were the normal fate for those who were targeted, & that's a fact.
Yep. They were a different breed. Getting kicked and punched happened all over, including at Southend. Part of the excitement was getting home in one piece from some away grounds. But scousers were into robbing and beating up away fans. They were also into using Stanley knives, which were horrendous weapons. Tricky and Paul told me about what happened, and it must of been bad as they could both look after themselves.

Back