• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

- I was born on the day England drew with Bulgaria in the 62 World Cup but remember little of the game

- I failed to register interest in the 66 World Cup. Noddy was more interesting back then

- I collected Esso coins during the '70 World Cup

- I watched the pain of that Qualifier v Poland in '73. If only we had got to Germany, I'm sure we could have beaten Zaire

- I kept a scrapbook for the 78 World Cup with newspaper reports from every game. Oh Willie Johnstone

- In 82 the France game clashed with a Geography exam in the second year of my degree course. Kick-off was two hours into a three hour exam. One hour and 58 mins in I and 50% of those in the exam ran out to the TV lounge in the SU bar - we got there in time for Robbo's goal (and I passed the exam)

- In 86 I bust my hand hitting the pub roof as Lineker scored his third

- '90 was the best ever.

- I was at Wembley for the semi in 96 v Germany. Oh what a day ........until Southgate turned the lights out

- I went to Germany in '06 to see us lose to Portugal on two giant TV screens with 40,000 others.

- Ukraine seemed too scary in '12 so we went to Poznan to dance with the Irish. Wonderful.

Everything else is a blur

I was 14yrs 10 months old for the 1966 final and watched it on a black and white telly with my dad. A truly great day and I will never hear a bad word about Russian linos. The 1970 W/C was a big let down, and I've suffered with every tournament since. Euro 1996 got me seriously excited, even now I think we should have won it.

We're obviously about the same age, (give or take a few months).

I remember seeing all of England's games, (including the final) in 1966, on a black and white set in the TV room at Highfield College.

Whether it would have made much difference to the final result we will never know but I wasn't happy after Lampard's disallowed goal against Germany!
On the contrary,no one could fail to know how much difference to the RESULT it would have made:NONE!The SCORE might have been 2-4,but the Germans were so much the better team they would probably not have eased up and scored a few more.

We're obviously about the same age, (give or take a few months).

I remember seeing all of England's games, (including the final) in 1966, on a black and white set in the TV room at Highfield College.

Are you happy with people slagging off Adam too?

Well, being born in July 62, I remember my Dad telling me (three weeks after my 4th birthday) out the front of our house in Exford Avenue that it was a huge day and he was going to a big football match. It meant nothing to me. I have a recollection of Sunday lunch being interrupted the following day by my dad arriving home from the final - a tad late and worse for wear.
My dad is no longer with us but he left me his "mint perfect" set of tickets, bought in a block deal, of England group games all the way to the final. I sometimes carefully look at those tickets and am still in awe as I look at the wording "Jules Rimet Trophy - Final Tie".
I myself went to Mexico 86, Germany 88 (ouch) and Italia 90.
Enjoy a fabulous festival of football. C'mon England.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, being born in July 62, I remember my Dad telling me (three weeks after my 4th birthday) out the front of our house in Exford Avenue that it was a huge day and he was going to a big football match. It meant nothing to me. I have a recollection of Sunday lunch being interrupted the following day by my dad arriving home from the final - a tad late and worse for wear.
My dad is no longer with us but he left me his "mint perfect" set of tickets, bought in a block deal, of England group games all the way to the final. I sometimes carefully look at those tickets and am still in awe as I look at the wording "Jules Rimet Trophy - Final Tie".
I myself went to Mexico 86, Germany 88 (ouch) and Italia 90.
Enjoy a fabulous festival of football. C'mon England.

Fabulous memento of the occasion and your dad Kevin. I vividly remember my dad and I erupting out of our armchairs together at the goals and then the final whistle. Those moments stay with you forever.

- I collected Esso coins during the '70 World Cup

I did this too! I was 4 when we won the World Cup in '66, I remember watching odd games from 1970, fuelled by the coin collection, but I think '74 was where I first followed it properly. Had my ST at Southend by then and remember following Holland at both this and the next WC, having been captivated by Cruyff during '74.

The one I remember best and most fondly for England was Italia '90 when Gazza had the whole nation in tears with him, although Mexico in '86 was probably the one where the nation united most behind the team. Lineker was outstanding at that tournament.

For balance, knock out defeats since 1966...

1968 - Yugoslavia
1970 - West Germany (AET)
1986 - Argentina
1990 - West Germany (pens)
1996 - Germany (pens)
1998 - Argentina (pens)
2002 - Brazil
2004 - Portugal (pens)
2006 - Portugal (pens)
2010 - Germany
2012 - Italy (pens)

Not forgetting the DNQ next to 1972, 1974, 1976, 1978, 1984, 1994 and 2008 :stunned:

I remember the 1974 game against Poland with that incredible display by their keeper. Nothing was getting past him that night.

On the contrary,no one could fail to know how much difference to the RESULT it would have made:NONE!The SCORE might have been 2-4,but the Germans were so much the better team they would probably not have eased up and scored a few more.

They were clearly a better team of course.

My Bitter Memories

Mullery getting sent off after a late goal against Yugoslavia in 68
Gordon Banks being poisoned in Mexico and England throwing away a 2 goal lead
Norman Hunter failing to put the ball into Row z and then Shilton diving over the shot against Poland
Maradonna cheating and then Terry Fenwick failing to kick him into next week in 86
Ronald Koemann not getting sent off
Beckhams petulance and Simeones acting
Penalties
Rooneys petulance and Ronaldos harassment of the ref
Penalties
and Penalties

I was only born in 90 and my first real memory of a tournemant was 1996 but have more clear memories of 1998. No doubt I've been incredibly lucky in the time I've supported Southend to see us involved at one end of the table or the other near enough every single season I've supported them. My worse England memory was being at Wembley for the infamous "wolly with a brolly" game against Croatia. I've hated mclaren and Scott Carson since that day.

That goal would have completely changed the game. The Germans were all over the place for the five minutes between Upson's goal that made it 2-1 and the Lampard goal. Think Southend at Swindon last season. What those cheats in FIFA did do was spoil the only decent game of the tournament.

One thing people forget is that in the same match at 0-0, Rooney was given off-side when a German player clearly passed it to him. There is absolutely no way both lines-man or the ref did not see the pass. I think there's some 20 minute ITV highlights on you tube, have a look.

We know Fifa are corrupt and they hate us, so does Platini of course. Even when we do qualify for the finals, we have then been cheated by bent officials.
Just like the hand of god or the disallowed goals v Portugal and Argentina. I'll throw in the penalty, not given, on Colin Bell (second half of Injury time) v Germany 1970. Find me a clearer penalty in the history of the game that has not been given.

always been slightly embarassed about the use of the word "hurt". Slight disappointment is a better term. The records show we are a top footballing country but when it comes to playing other top teams like many others it's difficult. This year we have a good team. We could win it. Depends on a bit of luck, someone scoring a wonder goal, a great save at the other end or the lottery of penalties. It's what makes football the greatest game in the world.

My Bitter Memories

Mullery getting sent off after a late goal against Yugoslavia in 68
Gordon Banks being poisoned in Mexico and England throwing away a 2 goal lead
Norman Hunter failing to put the ball into Row z and then Shilton diving over the shot against Poland
Maradonna cheating and then Terry Fenwick failing to kick him into next week in 86
Ronald Koemann not getting sent off
Beckhams petulance and Simeones acting
Penalties
Rooneys petulance and Ronaldos harassment of the ref
Penalties
and Penalties

It took me a long time to get over that , never should ahve been on the pitch and therefore would never have taken the free kick.

In fairness with the pain of the penalties we also have Stuart Pierce's at Euro 1996. That is easily my personal favourite football moment outsie of SUFC. Players say how much something means to them , Stuart didn't need to say anything, his reaction said more than a thousand words ever could. That man really cared!

In fairness with the pain of the penalties we also have Stuart Pierce's at Euro 1996. That is easily my personal favourite football moment outsie of SUFC. Players say how much something means to them , Stuart didn't need to say anything, his reaction said more than a thousand words ever could. That man really cared!

In truth there has not been an England player since Stuart that has cared half as much about his national team; today's lot would just sulk and put their headphones on and forget about anything.
Beckham had some passion but Rooney's doesn't come across as 100% genuine.

Germany were clearly the better team, but that doesn't mean they would have won. Anything could have happened. Don't also forget we lost that match 4-1, but it can also be argued that we were chasing a game in which we should have been level, with no need to chase. The whole game would have been different.

All you can really say is that if we would have gone in at to half time at 2-2 and gone on to win, we probably wouldn't have deserved it. However, I wouldn't have cared one jot!

And anyway, I prefer this 5 goal thriller between England and Germany:

[video=youtube;WgIdNgzVDKk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgIdNgzVDKk[/video]

Back