• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sam, I would not tarnish the entire block . I stand half way back in W , and am one of the older supporters in the block . I was actually impressed by how few of our younger fans in front of me turned around, and how few sniggers there were- I did not hear anyone laugh. I could see that several fans wanted to laugh--in the same way as if your mate at school was to fart in assembly and you want to laugh, but they managed to hold it together. Personally I was really impressed by our younger supporters as if one person had burst out laughing I think a lot of others would have not have been able to contain themselves, especially when the person concerned was clearly getting frustrated that the game had not started and shouted out 'football'.

Back on topic , its a great idea to offer the ball. It also says more about people who were unable to hear clearly and 'assumed' it was an 'idiot' , rather than 'assuming' it was someone that could not help it. Why when given a choice on a subject, what ever the subject do so many people have to assume the worst?

My comment wasn't intended to come across as if I was saying it was the entire block, apologies if it came across that way... It was just the fact that some​ people couldn't control themselves enough during a remembrance for 96 people who lost their lives.

It was like a morgue yesterday.....I can't remember any songs, foot stamping , couple of ooo's and aaar's.... very disappointing

It's hard to inspire fans when they are watching a total shambles on the pitch. We can try and gee people up as much as we like but if it's not going well on the pitch, it's just not going to happen.

I was down the front of the W block trying to get people going, along with a few others and I turn around to see the vast majority of the rest of the block with their heads in their phones.

I was down the front of the W block trying to get people going, along with a few others and I turn around to see the vast majority of the rest of the block with their heads in their phones.

To be honest, half the time that's because you're trying to start a new song that no-one's heard of or knows the words to, rather than songs that we all know the words to so we (and perhaps the rest of the stand) can join in to. It's starting to feel a bit like an exclusive club, with only the front few rows actually being able to join in... just keep it simple and it'll be much more effective. That, and dragging on songs for way too long - there's only so long we can all be bothered to sing 'Blue Army', no matter how good it might sound if we all do it for a long time.

I don't want to knock the fantastic work you do down there and as you say it's disappointing that a lot of W block don't seem to join in (a lot of people seem to come for the atmosphere but not to contribute to it) but this another major reason why people don't join in, as well as being demotivated by the ***** on the pitch.

To be honest, half the time that's because you're trying to start a new song that no-one's heard of or knows the words to, rather than songs that we all know the words to so we (and perhaps the rest of the stand) can join in to. It's starting to feel a bit like an exclusive club, with only the front few rows actually being able to join in... just keep it simple and it'll be much more effective. That, and dragging on songs for way too long - there's only so long we can all be bothered to sing 'Blue Army', no matter how good it might sound if we all do it for a long time.

I don't want to knock the fantastic work you do down there and as you say it's disappointing that a lot of W block don't seem to join in (a lot of people seem to come for the atmosphere but not to contribute to it) but this another major reason why people don't join in, as well as being demotivated by the ***** on the pitch.

Trouble is, NB, on one hand we have people telling us that all they hear is 'the same old, same old, it's boring' so some try and come up with something a bit different, on the other hand they then get told 'no one knows that'....
All songs were new at some time, some catch on and become popular and others don't, that's the way of these things. If we didn't try something new we'd still be doing 'Knees Up Mother Brown'.:winking:

Yes, I agree, sometimes some of the songs drag on but sometimes only certain songs seem to get a response.
Most of us 'down the front' don't particularly like 'Blue Army' and more often than not it's actually started further back so we join in with it as previously we've been accused of trying to dominate what's sung because we're with the drum.

Fully agree with your last point, it's so ******* hard to get anything going when we aren't producing on the field, at the end of the day we can only do so much. :whistling:

We won't give up but it's really hard at the moment.

Trouble is, NB, on one hand we have people telling us that all they hear is 'the same old, same old, it's boring' so some try and come up with something a bit different, on the other hand they then get told 'no one knows that'....
All songs were new at some time, some catch on and become popular and others don't, that's the way of these things. If we didn't try something new we'd still be doing 'Knees Up Mother Brown'.:winking:

No I agree and it's great that you're coming up with new songs, but these new songs don't have to have enough lyrics to fill the programme! The ones that catch on are the simple ones with just a few words: the likes of 'Come on Southend' and 'Blue Army'... I know these aren't as exciting but they sure are effective.

Make your mind up. You know the words to 'Blue Army' right? Please tell me you do?

So shall we stick to what we know or try something new, which you apparently don't like?

4hwhlt.png

hows the YES!, YES!, YES! chant coming on, does everyone remember the words?

Some are apparently struggling as it's a new one.

I think it is hard at the back as there seem to be quite a few new songs that it takes a while to catch on. I quite often start a few and I find that the old ones work well at the back for us. Keeping hearing the one that sounds like a 70s pop song and literally couldn't join in even if I wanted too.

As Ayrshire said the side need to put a performance in to get the bulk of people going.

Make your mind up. You know the words to 'Blue Army' right? Please tell me you do?

So shall we stick to what we know or try something new, which you apparently don't like?

4hwhlt.png

Some are apparently struggling as it's a new one.

You know what I mean. I'm sure you will have noticed that the new songs with lots of words don't catch on as well as the new songs with just a few words. Just trying to give you some advice based on feedback from a lot of people from the rest of W Block.

We all have our own opinions, but I have never heard someone moan that the chant drags on for too long. I thought the idea was for us to make ad much positive noise as possible. Sadly we rarely keep a chant going for 5 minutes as it is (it may feel like longer but watch the clock and you soobmn realise it isn't).

*Saturday was weird, when the team plays well we are always in good voice. If we are crap we get annoyed , frustrated and angry and this normally results in singing. Saturday it just seemed impossible to get us going

We all have our own opinions, but I have never heard someone moan that the chant drags on for too long. I thought the idea was for us to make ad much positive noise as possible. Sadly we rarely keep a chant going for 5 minutes as it is (it may feel like longer but watch the clock and you soobmn realise it isn't).

*Saturday was weird, when the team plays well we are always in good voice. If we are crap we get annoyed , frustrated and angry and this normally results in singing. Saturday it just seemed impossible to get us going

I remember in the North Bank in the very early 90's we chanted 'Blue Army' for 45 mins non stop. Those were the days

Back