• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

True but we completely fell apart after losing that final and blew automatic promotion. Luckily we regained our composure and form for the playoffs but losing that final certainly affected the team.

Our run to that final was something like a 20 match unbeaten run. And if you go back 2 seasons we were top of the league until we fell apart after losing (to Swindon?) in the quarter-finals and never recovered.

I'd suggest the key therefore is not to lose.

Seriously, it means nothing. No one is going to start bragging about the fact we win the JPT trophy. It's like the FA trophy, but less worthwhile an award.

in my opinion it railroaded our campaign last season as well as injuring a key player. Would rather bow out early doors and get stuck into the promotion challenge which we've begun quite well.

I'll never feel proud to win a JPT. Ever.

Surely it means something that we took more supporters to Wembley (32,000)than FA Cup winners Wigan (31,000)? That's something to bragg about in my book.

I think we should treat the early stages of the competition maybe as an opportunity to sharpen up the fringe players and if we progress to the later stages bring in the 'big guns' to get us to the final.

Winning is a GREAT habit; Jose Mouriniho in his propaganda pre the Hull game talks that newly promoted teams are often hard to play for the first few months as they have a bit extra from winning. And he is right; & we have to play to win every game; anything less and it is a draw at best or a loss that is a too easily accepted trait.
Ok, play some squad guys, rest the injured, use the games to cancel some yellow card suspension time from the MORE important League campaign BUT don't start any game/competition almost wanting to lose.

Beating QPR 4-0, Colchester over 2 legs, then again on penalties. Gower's goal against Bristol Rovers, beating Orient.

Some of my best memories as a fan.

To go out and try and lose just because its the JPT is rubbish.:sad:

Probably in the minority but unless we have a bye to the Final, I'm not honestly bothered. JPT Wembley........been there done it! IMHO it buggered up our season last year........although the cash may have kept us alive. The start we have made this season.......and I know it's only a start.........makes me believe that promotion must be our priority. 5 or 6 extra fixtures in an already crowded season and with a small squad is not good news. I don't mind returning to Wembley for a play-off Final although honestly, I'd prefer to avoid it and get promotion automatically.

The JPT is a competition we have the ability to win. The other cups, such as the League and FA Cups, we can easily do without. Maybe getting a big-name draw in the 3rd round might help with a bit of revenue, but apart from that there's no point putting in the effort for these. Focus on the league, give the JPT a shot, and we have a chance of doing well in both. Who says we can't achieve automatic promotion as well as a Wembley final? If we're talking about maximising the number of attendees to the games, surely doing well in both competitions would be the most appealing to those that are sat on the bench about watching us?

Winning is a GREAT habit; Jose Mouriniho in his propaganda pre the Hull game talks that newly promoted teams are often hard to play for the first few months as they have a bit extra from winning. And he is right; & we have to play to win every game; anything less and it is a draw at best or a loss that is a too easily accepted trait.
Ok, play some squad guys, rest the injured, use the games to cancel some yellow card suspension time from the MORE important League campaign BUT don't start any game/competition almost wanting to lose.

totally agree with this . For every example of a cup run messing up a league campaign there will be an example where the opposite is true. Plus of course the extra cash , god knows we need it.

I guess that the byes are given at randon via selection, but it does seem a bit strange that two of the byes for example are not reserved for the previous seasons finalists perhaps, since Crewe have not recieved a bye.

Beating QPR 4-0, Colchester over 2 legs, then again on penalties. Gower's goal against Bristol Rovers, beating Orient.

Some of my best memories as a fan.

To go out and try and lose just because its the JPT is rubbish.:sad:

Totally agree... Loved the JPT runs and the semis, just hated the actual finals :sad: but I'd still like another crack at winning it. 4th time lucky anyone? And I also agree about the winning habit thing. I'm sure that helps the team.

How did their size of squad compare with ours this year..........reckon it was rather larger?

Bradford City played 64 matches last season.

There was a core squad of 19 players who started 13 matches or more. Ten players started 8 matches or fewer, and then there were an additional three players who made only six substitute appearances between them.

Totally agree... Loved the JPT runs and the semis, just hated the actual finals :sad: but I'd still like another crack at winning it. 4th time lucky anyone? And I also agree about the winning habit thing. I'm sure that helps the team.

Yes, that about sums it up - getting to finals = exciting. Actual finals = a bit of a let down.

Still, I'm happy to be let down again next Spring in Wembley! :thumbsup:

Back