• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Missed Opportunity

Having had a night to sleep on it.

Weather didn't help. We started too early, so that people were drifting off before others arrived. We should have had speeches, but a bit like Scott this isn't about me. Lesson learned if we need to do this again.

Many of yesterdays attendees were closer to my age group. Long standing supporters. That was interesting.

There was little in the way of Martin Out, but a group did go round to the Fairfax entrance to greet him (he was already in the ground). That pretty much finished the event as those remaining went.

When he did come out, we were greeted with the unedifying spectacle of a club chairman shouting at us via a megaphone. I didn't hear him swear, but even if he did its not like we didn't use salty language.

But the thing is. It is really easy to sit on a keyboard and pass comment, its much harder to try and get these things up and running. And much harder to make them successful.

We tried, and we will continue to try and get transparency, accountability and sustainability.

Well I went to the protest . First time I’ve ever done anything like that. I have to say I was hugely disappointed in the turn out. This is not the organisers fault .. we can get 33,000 to watch Crewe at Wembley but we can’t even get 500 out to protest for much needed change... The apathy is simply amazing ..... well done to those who did turn up.
The missed opportunity bit surrounds the organisers themselves .. like many I stood around, I chatted to a few loyal shrimpers chewing the cud so to speak but representatives of the Supporters Trust / Save Our Southend / Shrimperzone/ Custard Splat and the other organisers why couldn’t you just make yourselves known to the wider group of people that attended . The whole event seemed very disjointed . There were the obvious Martin Out chants that I was expecting but why no speeches? Where was the dialogue ? I have to say I was not alone in saying this ..... Something to consider for the next protest I guess .....

We didnt need a protest that's why people didnt show! But Ron's learnt his lesson now let sleeping dogs lie! U wont be moaning next season when we are top of the national league with brown as manager,stan advisor,ceo appointed! Crap players released and investment from ron! Get behind the club as Ron's going nowhere and be lucky u have a club at all.

Ron coming out swearing is on Instagram (Southend FC) , its a bit spicy so i wont put the link up on here.
And so what? If a bunch of protesters are chanting Ron Out and Ron’s a “w****r and hurling insults his way because they pay whatever a junior season ticket costs, then he probably feels the £2m it costs him every year gives him the right to respond in kind, especially when he is trying to communicate and he is struggling to make himself heard. Why comment on what Ron said rather than the giving the full context?

I wasn’t there (I was at a funeral) but as far as I can see the event was a success as part of the overall process of demanding change. And I sense it is working. People should regard it thus. Well done to those who attended (well the great majority anyway).

The organisers can’t be responsible for people going off the agreed message.

We didnt need a protest that's why people didnt show! But Ron's learnt his lesson now let sleeping dogs lie! U wont be moaning next season when we are top of the national league with brown as manager,stan advisor,ceo appointed! Crap players released and investment from ron! Get behind the club as Ron's going nowhere and be lucky u have a club at all.
Wot have u been drinking Shrimp

Weather didn't help. We started too early, so that people were drifting off before others arrived. We should have had speeches, but a bit like Scott this isn't about me. Lesson learned if we need to do this again.

Many of yesterdays attendees were closer to my age group. Long standing supporters. That was interesting.

There was little in the way of Martin Out, but a group did go round to the Fairfax entrance to greet him (he was already in the ground). That pretty much finished the event as those remaining went.

When he did come out, we were greeted with the unedifying spectacle of a club chairman shouting at us via a megaphone. I didn't hear him swear, but even if he did its not like we didn't use salty language.

But the thing is. It is really easy to sit on a keyboard and pass comment, its much harder to try and get these things up and running. And much harder to make them successful.

We tried, and we will continue to try and get transparency, accountability and sustainability.

We tried, and we will continue to try and get transparency, accountability and sustainability

Lets talk

I guess you would also have heard that he was subject to chants of “w****r” etc as he tried to speak. Of course it was the small minority and an overall excellent event should not be judged by that- something you can’t manage. By the same token don’t critique Ron if he gives some back. If indeed he did. And at least he tried to come out and communicate again- and at one point that was one of the criticisms.
This communication thing from Ron very rarely says anything, thus forgetting the first maxim of communication.
Platitudes, and must-do-betters with a sprinkling of it-was-his-fault are his stock in trade.
His promises, are they even that? Need to be backed up.
Personally, I don't care if ever speaks about SUFC again, provided he makes with the action.

Can’t see how my helpful feedback of the protest could be construed as moaning but hey everyone is different .... ?

And so what? If a bunch of protesters are chanting Ron Out and Ron’s a “w****r and hurling insults his way because they pay whatever a junior season ticket costs, then he probably feels the £2m it costs him every year gives him the right to respond in kind, especially when he is trying to communicate and he is struggling to make himself heard. Why comment on what Ron said rather than the giving the full context?

I wasn’t there (I was at a funeral) but as far as I can see the event was a success as part of the overall process of demanding change. And I sense it is working. People should regard it thus. Well done to those who attended (well the great majority anyway).

There's a bit of me far too cynical for my own good.
Ron, communicating?
How about him administering OUR club better for starters rather than obfuscate.
I repeat: our club.
It's not his cash cow, although that's how it started, eh? If he had cared more, maybe we wouldn't be in this almighty mess.
He now wants supporters to listen to him when three weeks ago he could care less about fan reaction.
Vociferous protest is good. No more nicey-nicey.

Lord football you guys did well to organise the protest and it’s great that you are taking on the feedback also. Please keep going and I will support any further actions you take.

Thanks Mystic Meg,

I hope you are right. But I am not sure where the additional investment is coming from.

We all need to let the dust settle now. The last 3 years have been hell, but we are where we are, we can't do much about our League position, we deserved it.

Let's all look to the next few weeks, new manager, players and CEO, maybe things will look a little brighter.

There's a bit of me far too cynical for my own good.
Ron, communicating?
How about him administering OUR club better for starters rather than obfuscate.
I repeat: our club.
It's not his cash cow, although that's how it started, eh? If he had cared more, maybe we wouldn't be in this almighty mess.
He now wants supporters to listen to him when three weeks ago he could care less about fan reaction.
Vociferous protest is good. No more nicey-nicey.
Fine if that’s what you want- but this is away from the point which was about Ron allegedly saying naughty words- as if this was somehow unacceptable in response to himself being in receiving end of the same.

Ron arrived around 2:30pm smuggled in in the boot of his car having been warned about the Fairfax drive massive. ?

Ref the first para.
Because as the owner, executive head honcho and public face of a business supposedly on the point of bringing a multi million pound development to the town you should show a bit of class and not get drawn into a swearing match with a numbskull minority of your customers.

Or Ron wins case with EFL and Southend are instantly promoted to premier league as that's where they deserve to be. An undersea volcano explodes off the coast of Southend and a 90k seater stadium is produced by the lava formation. Goodship finds his shooting boots in his loft and proceeds to finish the premier league top scorer. Southend lift the premier league title with 8 games spare. Ron is crowned king of the world after finding ultimate green energy alternative using hot air and recycling human excrement.

Fine if that’s what you want- but this is away from the point which was about Ron allegedly saying naughty words- as if this was somehow unacceptable in response to himself being in receiving end of the same.
I totally agree.
The point I was making is I want him to do, not to say either with expletive or patronisation.

Well done to all!
Unlike in the past I feel all the various groups are singing the same and no in fighting!
Everyone wants the same outcome and I'm sure Ron has seen this referring to Your club!
Great work guys and thanks Stan.
UTB.

Back