• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Stirring Battle Cry Is Needed!

Javea Shrimper

Andy Urry has written a piece for SZ about the need for a "stirring battle cry" at Roots Hall to lift both the team and the fans as they battle for supremacy at what should be "Fortress Roots Hall". And he has come up with what he thinks should be OUR song.

Read his thoughts here and see if you agree.

If anyone else fancies themselves as a columnist for ShrimperZone, please get in touch with us at mike@shrimperzone.com and tell us what you can offer. This is a site for the fans by the fans so we'd like as much input from as many people as possible. So kick-start that word-processor and get tapping!

WS

No-one disagrees, therefore I must be right!

tounge.gif

Love the photo in the article by the way - Chesterfield in the cup a few years ago. What a fantastic day that was. Still get goosebumps thinking about Tes bursting through to score and an entire terrace going beserk. What away days are all about....

As for the song - why not? We could do with something that stands out, which is why I have always suggested "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts" for when we score. Ron Atkinson's Cambridge used to have it and it's just the kind of thing a lower league team (that shouldn't take itself too seriously) needs. Fcuk all those epic OTT tunes that seem out of place when you look at the pitch and see Drewe Broughton about to kick the game off!

Who makes the decision at the club on the music front anyway? Do we have any influence? Is Dave involved in that too?

Why not, its got to be worth a go perhaps the trust could mention it to the club and the echo could do a 'Bring back the RH Roar' bit so its publised.

I personally think it's a great idea - excellent choice of song, and defo a song that everyone knows and no other club uses.... Lets use it before anyone else thinks of it ! !

Andy Urry - top man - even though he wears a suit now....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Aug. 10 2004,10:56)]No-one disagrees, therefore I must be right!

tounge.gif
I disagree.

Self preservation society has been done to death at England matches.

I would like 'Can you feel the force' by the Real thing.

I thought it was a greate choice, until I read the post about it being done to death at England matches - shame.

If you're looking for alternatives to throw into the melting pot, I've always thought 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' would be a great football song - if you run through the lyrics it pretty much sums up being a supporter of a struggling club i.e. no matter how bad things get, you'll always remain loyal.

People may say this is too slow, but faster tempo songs are nearly always impossible for a whole crowd to sing together.

While we're on the subject, anybody remember when the team selected 'Run To You' (by Rage I think) as the song to run out to? Embarassing!

great idea, get in contact with the club! this music things got to be sorted out though, and youre right 'blue' at the MS was embarrasing!

just for the record id suggest 'going underground' by the jam!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Aug. 11 2004,12:22)]Self preservation society has been done to death at England matches.
Agreed.

Anyone remember 'The Story of the Blues' by Wah!? Well, the single was by Wah!, the album was released under the name 'The Mighty Wah!'

It's one of my favourite songs from the 80's. If you haven't heard it, do something about it like trying to download it. It has a rousing chorus, pretty easy to sing along to and best of all.....I've never heard it sung at a football ground before!

Here in my pocket
I got the Story of the Blues
Try to believe me
'Cos it could be front page news

I say I live with it like it hasn't happened yet
I keep thinking of everyone
How I'm the one, the one they're trying to get
To tell the Story of the Blues

First, they take your pride
Turn it all inside
And then you realise
You've got nothing left to lose

So, you try to stop
Try to get back up
And then, you realise
You're telling the Story of the Blues

Feeling browbeaten
Day after day
I think it's over
But I just can't get away

You say forget it
We'll don't jump the gun
You're laughing this time
Next time you might be the one
To tell the Story of the Blues

First, they take your pride
Turn it all inside
And then you realise
You've got nothing left to lose

So, you try to stop
Try to get back up
And then, you realise
You're telling the Story of the Blues

(repeat)

What they gonna say 'bout me
When they tell the Story of the Blues

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Aug. 11 2004,12:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Aug. 10 2004,10:56)]No-one disagrees, therefore I must be right!

tounge.gif
I disagree.

Self preservation society has been done to death at England matches.

I would like 'Can you feel the force' by the Real thing.
Agreed, any association with that over paid bunch of prima donnas that certainly don't represent ME should be discarded.

The question is will any suggestion we make be taken on board by the club ?

Found myself bopping along to a great track today, good rhythm and great guitar, should be a wonderful tune for the fans to sing and the players to run out to - at Borient, that is!

Talking Heads

Road to Nowhere

biggrin.gif

Back