• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
May yet turn out to be the best of Brown's signings from last season and that's not something I ever expected to be typing.

I must admit I didn't rate him as any more than squad filler last season and the thought of him being first choice centre-half this year filled me with trepidation. But then we signed two centre-halves and I thought we wouldn't see him again but he's quietly come through and won and retained a place on merit. He's been my player of the month.

Well played Adam Thompson and well done on that signing Phil Brown and Chief Scout Bob Shaw.

These are the sort of signings that we should be making. Young players with potential to move up the leagues.

I wasn't convinced when I first saw him play and thought he looked slightly out of his depth too, but the last couple of games he seems to have learnt a lot and improved too.

Wonder whether we would have signed him permanently if we didn't have the chance to loan him first.

May yet turn out to be the best of Brown's signings from last season and that's not something I ever expected to be typing.

I must admit I didn't rate him as any more than squad filler last season and the thought of him being first choice centre-half this year filled me with trepidation. But then we signed two centre-halves and I thought we wouldn't see him again but he's quietly come through and won and retained a place on merit. He's been my player of the month.

Well played Adam Thompson and well done on that signing Phil Brown and Chief Scout Bob Shaw.

I’m with you on this one, made a couple of mistakes on Sat but all of the back 4 did due to the continuous pressure they were being put under. Glad Phil hasn’t just chucked Bolger back in because of his price tag and has given Thompson and Prosser a good run together.

These are the sort of signings that we should be making. Young players with potential to move up the leagues.

I wasn't convinced when I first saw him play and thought he looked slightly out of his depth too, but the last couple of games he seems to have learnt a lot and improved too.

Wonder whether we would have signed him permanently if we didn't have the chance to loan him first.

I agree. I think the point is also that when you play games regularly you grow and develop into the role much easier than if you are playing one game in six, or 20 mins off the bench. What we are seeing now is the growth of a partnership between Adam and Luke at the back, learning to play together, understanding each others game etc. Ive not doubted Adam as a player as such but we've only seen him as a bit part player since he joined. I don't think its a coincidence that now with a run in the side he is improving

We currently have the best defence in the league:

Bentley - age 21: 66 pro appearances

White - age 28: ~300 pro appearances
Thompson - age 22: ~45 pro appearances
Prosser - age 26: ~155 pro appearances
Williams - age 19: ~3 pro appearances

I appreciate that isn't the starting 5 that have solely contributed to our performance.

However I used to be in the school of needing a lot of experience in defence at this level. We've had good and very experienced players and I was worried that this year without Phillips we might lack a bit at the back.

Brown has proven me wrong and getting younger players on cheaper contracts who we can develop and have a re-sale value is a much more sustainable model compared to signing experienced players with injuries on more expensive contracts who then retire.

Thompson has done well as YB says, and White seems better after he fizzled out at the end of last season. Williams seems like he could give Coker a challenge when he returns and Prosser just continues to improve and has developed into a genuine leader.

Brown has done a great job in constructing a good, valuable defence with depth and talent.

I appreciate that isn't the starting 5 that have solely contributed to our performance.

However I used to be in the school of needing a lot of experience in defence at this level. We've had good and very experienced players and I was worried that this year without Phillips we might lack a bit at the back.

Brown has proven me wrong and getting younger players on cheaper contracts who we can develop and have a re-sale value is a much more sustainable model compared to signing experienced players with injuries on more expensive contracts who then retire.

Thompson has done well as YB says, and White seems better after he fizzled out at the end of last season. Williams seems like he could give Coker a challenge when he returns and Prosser just continues to improve and has developed into a genuine leader.

Brown has done a great job in constructing a good, valuable defence with depth and talent.

Hate to be a pedant, 2nd best behind Wycombe :smile::winking:

I'd be looking more at the midfield where Leonard (age 22) and now Deegan have been shielding that defence.

How old is Deegan btw?

I thought he was superb on Saturday as he has been for the last few games. Thought he showed glimpses of quality last season. Long may it continue.

I'd be looking more at the midfield where Leonard (age 22) and now Deegan have been shielding that defence.

How old is Deegan btw?

Agree that it's reductive to solely blame/praise the defence for how many we conceded. All the team contribute. My point remains though.

Deegan had his 27th birthday yesterday. He celebrated by kicking the face off an otter.

I'd say you'd need at least 2 experienced players in the defence (back line plus goalkeeper), but there are those rare players with minimal first team experience who slot in and look like they are seasoned professionals. One player that springs to mind is Dervite, a 20 year old with only 1 league cup appearance to his name and he could easily have been our POTY despite being here for half the season.

How old is Deegan btw?

He turned 27 yesterday so not an "ageing" player.

Seem to recall that PB said quite recently that he had been disappointed that injuries had prevented AT having an extended run. Now it is injuries to others which have afforded him his chance. He has grasped it and is repaying PB's faith. If he was just bit taller then he would be that much more comfortable in the air when up against some of the bruisers in this game. But hey, the boy done good. More of those clean sheets please. A A d well done Yorkshire for giving AT the credit he deserves. Funny old game. We were sad when Soko and his partner went elsewhere in tbe summer but as one door closes etc

It's amazing how a chance of a run of games (in your proper position) can help - very impressive.

I was disappointed when we signed him. Glad to have got it wrong!

Totally agree with this. I have always said that I didn't rate him, but that as getting
him was a minor coup there was 'something' in him that people with far more knowedge than me saw in him that I didn't see

ps- what was he going mental at in the second half . Had one other players said/done something to Prosser. I can't explain why but it looked like he was defending him ?

Last edited:
Nice to have a thread praising the development of a player. :thumbsup:

Good to be keeping clean sheets too ........... but (at the risk of annoying people) that same defence let in 2 the week before.

Which highlights that it is a team game and the role of the midfield in front of the defence is important. And I think credit has to go there as well.

At the moment, my reading of the situation is that Brown is aiming to bolster midfield to shield the defence. And I agree - keep a clean sheet, score once (or more) and 3 points in the bag and onto the next game.

Just a last thought ............. I wonder if there will be thread like this about Barney later in the season after he has had a purple patch. :omg:

ps- what was going mental at in the second half . Had one other players said/done something to Prosser. I can't explain why but it looked like he was defending him ?

From the west it looked like their striker (Akpa-Akpro I think) kicked out at Prosser which prompted Thompson to run over and push him away.

Thompson is winning me over, if he carries on this level of performance then fantastic. It's fair to say that up until recently he had been poor but after a good run of games at CB he's improved considerably. Kudos to the lad. :thumbsup:

His contract runs out at the end of the season, could be another reason why his performances have improved to try a get a new contract.

His contract runs out at the end of the season, could be another reason why his performances have improved to try a get a new contract.
Nah, don't buy that, most lads just want to play to their best whenever they have the opportunity. Delighted that Thompson is getting some over-due recognition.

Think the last three to four games Thompson has looked the pick of the two in the centre, long may this continue, looks solid in the air also:thumbsup:

Back