• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy_S

Member of the Barry Corr Fan Club
As I said I was going to on here last week, I made my 10 minute drive to Bridge Avenue for the Hornchurch Vs Wivenhoe game yesterday.

Former Youth team keeper Dale Brightly played for Hornchurch, and looked slightly flappable shall we say.

Garry Cross lined up in central midfield, but due to the fact midfielders weren't really needed with the hoofball going on and because Hornchurch played an odd diamond shape in midfield, he was held back somewhat. Generally he'll be far to good for that level but he got lost in the shuffle yesterday.

Jamie Southon played in an unfamiliar role just in front of the defence and just like Cross, had the game pass him by due to what was going on around him and the odd formation. Probably due to the old Thurrock pals act now in place there he probably won't be played in his favoured central defensive spot too often, but they can't leave him out completely so he's been put in this odd starting position.

Out of the Ex Shrimpers on display though it was the one who I didn't even know had a spell with us that caught the eye the most. Wivenhoe's Right Sided Midfielder, Jeff Shepherd produced some cracking set piece deliveries and generally looked to have a good amount of ability.

Was slightly weird though seeing Steve Wignall involved on the touchline. Did think about asking whether he'd rediscovered some passion in his eyes by working in the Ryman League 1 North.  
oops.gif

I went to Leicester otherwise I might have considered this game but my Urchins supporting mate went and said it was a good game.

On the way back from Leicester me and the ladds stopped for a drink in the Euston Flyer. My phone goes off and it was my mate saying got someone to speak to you. He puts this bloke on who goes "Hello I am David Crown" - my first ever goalscoring hero.

He was at the game too Andy - Did you see him ?

I didn't, no. Have seen him at the odd Thurrock game when I've been though.

Didn't think it was a great game myself. All too familiar of the way Thurrock played under McBride, with the defenders hoofing it forward as soon as possible. Wivenhoe played the much nicer football but didn't convert their chances, hitting the bar twice and the post once.

Incidentally, Hornchurch beat Aveley 1-0 today with the goal being scored by Garry Cross. Seemingly they'll be back where they came from up the leagues sooner rather than later, despite the long ball tactics.

Back