• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Thanks for the link. It is great. I did see him play but don't remember much as I was only about 6 when he retired.

I have been a close friend to Alan for over 40 years
He rang me from hospital the nights before both amputations.
I wrote to Ron Martin to inform him of the shocking news. I included his address and phone number but there was no response from him.
However Ray Davey rang me. He did his best and managed a very small report in the first program of the season.
I had to ring the Echo 3 times before they reluctantly printed a small report.
He deserves better than this.

Very,very true....should be treated by our club better...a true great

One of the true SUFC legends. A very, very reliable, professional and capable player. A fantastic servant for this club and I hope something is organised for him. At the very least a benefit/appreciation match. There are many of us supporters that remember his performances and I for one can never recall a game where I thought he gave us any less than 100%. I wish him the best of recoveries and a long and happy future.

I have spoken with the club and they would be prepared to listen to reasonable suggestions as to what could be done, so if anyone would like to come up with something workable?

I have already noted the above suggestion of a benefit match.

A fantastic player. I used to stand on the South Bank in the days he played. Always reliable at the back - and when taking penalties.

Would Stan help out? An All Stars' XI?

Alan played for Hockley Cricket Club for many years so may be an idea to try and get them involved somewhere along the line

Does this have to be on ex-shrimpers? It's not as though he left us to join another club. Still a Blue in my book who gave unwavering loyalty to our club and if the club repays the loyalty in any way it should be by acknowledging he is still a Blue. I sincerely hope us fans get behind some thank you project.

I have spoken with the club and they would be prepared to listen to reasonable suggestions as to what could be done, so if anyone would like to come up with something workable?

I have already noted the above suggestion of a benefit match.

This is good, sort of, but can the club not at least aknowledge the very sad situation that a former excellent servant of the club now finds himself in. The absence of any kind of formal or official response is bordering on disgraceful. Yes a benefit match or similar is a very welcome idea but a few well chosen words from the club (and indeed Echo) would be immediate and would mean a great deal to Alan and those who recognise his importance in the club's history.

This is good, sort of, but can the club not at least aknowledge the very sad situation that a former excellent servant of the club now finds himself in. The absence of any kind of formal or official response is bordering on disgraceful. Yes a benefit match or similar is a very welcome idea but a few well chosen words from the club (and indeed Echo) would be immediate and would mean a great deal to Alan and those who recognise his importance in the club's history.

I'm sure I read this a few weeks ago in the Echo..... Very sad news.

I'm sure I read this a few weeks ago in the Echo..... Very sad news.
I wrote to Ron Martin to inform him of the shocking news. I included his address and phone number but there was no response from him.
However Ray Davey rang me. He did his best and managed a very small report in the first program of the season.

Firstly, well done for ringing up the Echo, obviously your persistence paid off.

Sadly, a lot of sad news comes from being either a Southend fan or an ex player, where they've passed or even become ill later in life. And indeed life in general, therefore I just can't see how the club can honour every fan or even player who are no longer with us or have become ill.

I certainly agree he should be honoured in some way but sadly, it's up to us fans to organise.

Back