• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
I don't quite understand why our chances of survival are suddenly all over after losing to the best team in the division. I've just seen the predictions thread and I was amazed that there was only one prediction of a defeat in spite of the fact that Birmingham, only the other week went to very in form Sheffield Wednesday and did exactly the same thing to them.

I've thought for a while that we are as good as down until we can put in a real stellar performance (I missed Soton) but I don't really understand why there was all the expectation that we would beat Birmingham.

I don't think the worrying thing is that we lost today...maybe its because we lost so convincingly after a great performance in midweek
down.gif

We will quite likely go down, but its certainly not all over. I have always maintained if we hadnt gone up last year and were mid table in League one fans would be well pleased.
So if we go down we must establish ourselves as a league one team and progress from there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Dec. 23 2006,19:30)]I don't quite understand why our chances of survival are suddenly all over after losing to the best team in the division.
People have odd expectations.

We dont have much chance of survival, the gaps huge, however the hope we have is that we can pick up enough points along the rest of the whole season to stay up.

Why people think losing to the best team in this league is the end of the world I have no idea.

We are going to lose plenty more games, people need to realise that the chances of us picking up points against the top 5 teams are remote, its the lower placed teams we are more likely to succeed...

um.... look at the table.

2 wins in 20 games.

Take those rose tinted glasses off! We're down and that's fact exact.

Ive said for a couple of weeks I think we have had it, the point is todays result doesnt make it any more likely....

totally agree,we have been poor for months.I have accepted in my heart that we will get relegated this season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RobM. @ Dec. 23 2006,20:14)]um.... look at the table.

2 wins in 20 games.

Take those rose tinted glasses off! We're down and that's fact exact.
Rose-tinted glasses?

My point was, why are people much more downbeat about survival after 2 wins in 20 than they were at 2 wins in 19? Particularly strange given the opposition.

Now, losing to a team who will undoubtedly struggle against relegation, Hull, was a terrible results and capped a run of defeats against teams we should be looking to pick points off. I could understand the demoralisation. Losing to the best team in the league is hardly slit your wrists time if your wrists were unslit before.

No its not, a point today would have been a good result, and all the results went well enough for us today.

Not the end of the world.

[b said:

2 wins in 20 games.

Take those rose tinted glasses off!  We're down and that's fact exact.
Errr no it's not. Excuse me while I get on my soap box again, but this is very close to my pet hate, opinion delivered as fact. We may very well be down in your opinion but we are certainly not yet relegated in fact. You are entitled to be pessimistic, you would even say realistic, but I (and any other silly enough to be like me) am entitled to my optimism and until I see our name in red on the sky sports table, we ain't down.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RobM. @ Dec. 24 2006,08:30)]So you'll be putting £1,000 on us staying up then.
I wouldn't put £1,000 on anything. Just because it isn't yet a fact that we are going down makes it no more a fact that we are staying up. You may be convinced we are going down, but that doesn't make it a fact. I might become convinced we are going down, but again that wouldn't make it a fact. It only becomes a fact when we can no longer Mathematicaly escape.

Why shouldn't I have an optimistic outlook? My "rose tinted glasses"? I don't seek to deny anyone their pessimistic outlook, I only really object when they start to ridicule or deny my right to be even a little hopeful.

[b said:

2 wins in 20 games.

Mods can we ban the the words "rose tinted glasses" and "take off". It's as irritating as "wake up and smell the coffee". I think the reality for most fans is well I can only speak for myself is that in my head we have been down for weeks, to survive we must have a dramatic change in form (relegation form to promotion form overnight). This is unlikely. However until it's mathematically impossible I will with my heart believe it's possible. This is not rose tinted anything but the hope of one fan who won't throw in the towel until the inevitable happens.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C'mon you Blues @ Dec. 24 2006,10:22)]
[b said:

2 wins in 20 games.

Mods can we ban the the words "rose tinted glasses" and "take off". It's as irritating as "wake up and smell the coffee". I think the reality for most fans is well I can only speak for myself is that in my head we have been down for weeks, to survive we must have a dramatic change in form (relegation form to promotion form overnight). This is unlikely. However until it's mathematically impossible I will with my heart believe it's possible. This is not rose tinted anything but the hope of one fan who won't throw in the towel until the inevitable happens.
Exactly. Well put!

Whatever happens over the 2nd half of the season, for me it wont be remembered as a disaster.

Firstly, I still can't believe we went up from League 1 and as champions. I watched many games where we ended up winning, or saving a point where we were very much 2nd best. that we went up was very much down to having a striker who gets 25 goals a decent keeper and a midfielder who gets moves going.

Secondly, we have the memories of inaugural victories over two giants in Leeds and Man Utd and holding Spurs in a major Quarter Final at WHL. Also the victories over Southampton and Sunderland were to savour.

Lastly, we've made the 3rd round of the FA Cup!

we can still stay up. of course we can. but even if we went down would it be a distaster? No. majority of the squad would stay and the money we get from eastwood could b used to bolster the squad to make another attempt at gettin back to the championship. but its never over till its over.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ricky Otto's Dreads @ Dec. 24 2006,13:13)]we can still stay up. of course we can. but even if we went down would it be a distaster? No. majority of the squad would stay and the money we get from eastwood could b used to bolster the squad to make another attempt at gettin back to the championship. but its never over till its over.
Spot one , and can some one please explain to my why so many "IMHO" idiots believe we will just go into free fall
rock.gif
?

This season has just been one disaster after another.

This is all to familiar of when Whelan took us down from this league with inept players on long expensive contracts.
We went into free fall then, i fear history will repeat itself.

Some people just wont take their rose tinted glasses off.

Back