• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I was listening to 5 live last Sunday just before the Swansea Arsenal game when whilst listening to various summarisers something one of them said made me think. Basically they were talking about the Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers and how he has fitted into the set up and style of play at the club - one of the biggest problems they went on, was coming to a club with a philosophy of how you want the game played but not having the players to carry it out.
So what I am getting at is this, do you think Sturrock has benefited in a bizarre way due to the dire circumstances the club found itself in when he arrived ?
Only four players on the books wasn't it? and just look at the team now, not one of the four remaining players who were here when he took over made the starting eleven. Now before anyone thinks I'm belittling the huge achievement of getting this club top of the league etc etc I can assure you I'm not but I wonder how many other managers would prefer to start with a blank sheet and build rather than inherit a squad.

It would probably be the ideal thing to start with a blank sheet - BUT, with some budget! To come in to a club with virtually no squad and having to bring in 18-20 players with NO money was probably a massive headache and begging/praying/misleading/convincing anyone to come - which is why we ended up with a lot of ex-Sturrock players.

But that said, yes, its allowed him to bring in players he trusted first and foremost and then build them around his style and system, which many would have been used to anyways.

Probably worked out better than coming into a full squad and trying to assert yourself on them (ala Taylor post Fry).

It would probably be the ideal thing to start with a blank sheet - BUT, with some budget! To come in to a club with virtually no squad and having to bring in 18-20 players with NO money was probably a massive headache and begging/praying/misleading/convincing anyone to come - which is why we ended up with a lot of ex-Sturrock players.

But that said, yes, its allowed him to bring in players he trusted first and foremost and then build them around his style and system, which many would have been used to anyways.

Probably worked out better than coming into a full squad and trying to assert yourself on them (ala Taylor post Fry).

Sturrock had a v good (top 6) wage budget in the division to make a team up with last season. I think his main problem would of been trying to attract players to join a club which failed to pay their players. Pretty much all the players we signed in that pre-season were on inflated wages.

Either way he has done a fantastic job as i expected us to struggle badly last season.

Back