• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Another bloody Goater thread

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ July 29 2005,12:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ July 29 2005,12:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ July 29 2005,12:07)]Don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere but Beckett did his knee ligaments in an friendly for Oldham and will probably be out for the season.
Did you know the wheel was invented as well. Keep up fella, only 2 or 3 threads about it  
tounge.gif
I did try the search function but it didn't throw anything up
For the benefit of Kenny
Clicky

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 29 2005,12:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ July 29 2005,11:49)]I'm more concerned in a player's future, not a player's past.
I don't want us to sign players who are living off their reputation, I want players who are playing to create themselves a reputation.
All very admirable, Matthew.

How do you explain the fact that the young, up & coming Brett Angell only really thrived because he had the experienced and canny Ian Benjamin next to him...?

rock.gif

It's all well and good having the young tyros out there, but the odd wise head doesn't go amiss either...

rock.gif

Matt
Matt, I'm not arguing against experience, I've spent much of last year season saying how important Spencer Prior has been to our defence.

What I'm arguing against is signing players on the way down whose only reason for wanting to come to Southend is the money/easy life.

Ian Benjamin signed for Southend because he wanted to move back to the South East from Exeter. He wasn't a player on his way down, who had already earnt his reputation. He was to all intents and purposes a lower league journeyman whose career hadn't been fulfilled at that stage.

Prior wanted to return to Southend, because he is a local lad, because he knew Tilly and Brush and because he had his eye on a coaching career at Southend.

What will Goater have to achieve at Southend for it to be the pinnacle of his career to date? He has no attachment to Southend which would make playing for Southend that little bit more special than playing week in week out in the premier$hite (or even the champion$hite) with Man City in front of 30,000 fans.

The root of so many of our problems can be traced back to signing players on the way down, players who felt they had nothing to prove at Roots Hall and who found that they only had to turn it on once every handful of games to stay in the side. That mentality was cancerous and relegated us twice and its only under Wignall that it was finally flushed out and we were able to move forward.

With everyone saying "Feed the Goat" have they considered that the Goat may no longer be hungry?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scamps @ July 29 2005,12:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpbizkit @ July 29 2005,12:11)]Seems strange that at least 3 people would report seeing Goater at Roots Hall yesterday if there wasnt some truth in it. Unless he is unveiled today though I think we can count it out.
Yeah seems odd that he's been spotted so something must of happened yesterday. Can't wait to see him in a southend shirt.  
unclesam.gif
Not necessarily. He had a look round yesterday, he may have a couple of other clubs to look at before he makes a decision.

I also doubt many people would sign there and then. If it was the first time he had been to visit he may need time to sort out a deal even if he has decided to join.

With sincere apologies to eveyone connected to the Sound of Music

High on a hill was a lonely goater
Lay ee odl lay ee odl lay hee hoo
High was the price of the lonely goater
Lay ee odl lay ee odl-oo

Folks in a town that was by the sea heard
Lay ee odl lay ee odl lay hee hoo
Lusty and clear from the goater's throat heard
pay mee and play mee do

I'll get my coat
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ July 29 2005,14:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (scamps @ July 29 2005,12:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpbizkit @ July 29 2005,12:11)]Seems strange that at least 3 people would report seeing Goater at Roots Hall yesterday if there wasnt some truth in it. Unless he is unveiled today though I think we can count it out.
Yeah seems odd that he's been spotted so something must of happened yesterday. Can't wait to see him in a southend shirt.  
unclesam.gif
Not necessarily. He had a look round yesterday, he may have a couple of other clubs to look at before he makes a decision.

I also doubt many people would sign there and then. If it was the first time he had been to visit he may need time to sort out a deal even if he has decided to join.
With Bradford and Gillingham reported to be interested in Goater as well, he'd have been foolish to sign for us straight away.

Granteed, he has no connection to the Club, but one thing I think that will be in our favour was that Tilson showed an interested when no one else did, Tilson was prepared to rescue him from his nightmare spell at Reading. He may think that he owes Tilson a little bit, and the best way to repay him would be on the pitch, and the training pitch and in the dressing room. Goater is a model pro, and wont only bring valuable experience on the pitch and training ground, but off it as well. He has been there, seen it, done it and got a couple of t shirts, and is in a position to guide our younger players like Eastwood, Gray and Lawson in the same why Spencer has helped the likes of Hunt, Jupp and Wilson at the back.

There was a rumour that Goater was going to go back to his homeland for a career in coaching. A way around that for us would be to offer him the one year, maybe even two year deal with the option to go into coaching with us, so when his contract expires and he picks up the coaching badges along the way, he'd be able to go back to his homeland with the badges and experience that would be able to land him a job over there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ July 29 2005,13:57)]With everyone saying "Feed the Goat" have they considered that the Goat may no longer be hungry?
That, sir, is not a bad point. It's better than your cricket one, at any rate...

tounge.gif

OK, so who's the new Ian Benjamin?

rock.gif

Personally, I wish we'd signed Holt. But there you go.

Matt

In my opinion we only need a back up striker who will compete with gray, Why change a winning formula, get a lad whos not as experienced and c how he plays when he comes of the bench.

I agree with the point to an extent (how many times have I wrote that in response to an HKB post??) butI don't think you can tar players who are successful as being mercenaries. Personally, I reckon Goater would be very professional.

Again, whilst I accept Yoda's point that Goater may have been rubbish in Reading's eyes, Reading were pushing for Premier$hite status last year wheras we'd be happy to consolidate our position.

The way I look at it, if Goater was in the team with Freddy, not only would Freddy learn from someone who has done it at the highest level in this country but we'd also have another striker who offers a completely different threar but will score if given opportunities. For all Gray contributes to the team, I don't think he punishes teams enough.

The way I see it, Goater would add a dimension to the forward line we've not had in years - i.e. a genuine six-yard box player who likes to get on the end of crosses and isn't afraid to gamble.

One of the most frustrating aspects of watching the Blues in recent years has been the amount of forwards we've had who have not made telling runs into the box at vital times - even Freddy is guilty of that. It also undermines our wingers, whose crosses (often good) are made to look poor as a result.

Goater is a classic poacher - particularly with his head - and would be an asset to us, I'm sure of it. Trouble is, my gut feeling says he won't sign. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, of course...

Back