• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I just can't see him going. RM is certainly backing PB.

He's a young lad learning his trade under a manager who will bring his talent on further and is one for the future..... In time he'll be a championship player without doubt.

I sometimes watch non league Football. Last Saturday I went and watched Ebbsfleet v Margate. The Centre half for Ebbsfleet was Anthony Acheampong. He is 25 years of age with previous Football League experience. He was absolutely fantastic and won every challenge and commanded his defence throughout. If we need a replacement for Luke Prosser or Adam Thompson, he is well worth a look at by the club scouts.

I sometimes watch non league Football. Last Saturday I went and watched Ebbsfleet v Margate. The Centre half for Ebbsfleet was Anthony Acheampong. He is 25 years of age with previous Football League experience. He was absolutely fantastic and won every challenge and commanded his defence throughout. If we need a replacement for Luke Prosser or Adam Thompson, he is well worth a look at by the club scouts.

His age puts me off. He isn't going to develop any further and if he was any good then he would be playing in the football league - if he was 18 then yeah, but not 25.
I have a mate who goes along to Ebbsfleet as it happens - I'll ask him.

Last edited by a moderator:
The January 2016 transfer window is open and will close at 11pm GMT on Monday 1 February. That's a bit like a morning call from a delivery company running until 1:00 pm in the afternoon. Anyway, not long to wait now until we know whether we have been mugged or not.

The January 2016 transfer window is open and will close at 11pm GMT on Monday 1 February. That's a bit like a morning call from a delivery company running until 1:00 pm in the afternoon. Anyway, not long to wait now until we know whether we have been mugged or not.

Thanks for that information. So we have all day tomorrow to see if there are any more ins and outs. Interesting that teams such as Burton and Posh are losing some players to higher divisions .........

Thompson is overrated in my opinion. He's great on the ball and his goal against Blackpool was fantastic but in terms of basic defending he's mediocre at best and his positioning is questionable at times. We've conceded a hell of a lot of goals since he came into the side. In terms of the basics, Bolger is our best defender, IMO.

Thompson is overrated in my opinion. He's great on the ball and his goal against Blackpool was fantastic but in terms of basic defending he's mediocre at best and his positioning is questionable at times. We've conceded a hell of a lot of goals since he came into the side. In terms of the basics, Bolger is our best defender, IMO.

Hes a massively improved player. When we offered him a contract I wasn't sure why. My error - Phil brown was right on this one. Good enough for the next league up? I'm not sure.

In terms of modern day football defenders who are good on the ball are more in demand then the old fashion defender. So Thompson will have interest. Bolger and even Barrett are better at heading and winning the ball.. But Thompson is young and decent with the ball at his feet. I also still think Come the end of the season we will be our number one defender if he stays.

You cant possibly mean Thompson !

I'd have to agree, I'm staggered that people think Thompson is that good. In terms of youngish CB's that could potentially move up a level Bolger is the one in my opinion, not Thompson. He's improved yes but we'd need better if we ever got back into the Championship.

I'd have to agree, I'm staggered that people think Thompson is that good. In terms of youngish CB's that could potentially move up a level Bolger is the one in my opinion, not Thompson. He's improved yes but we'd need better if we ever got back into the Championship.

It's all about opinions, my 1st thoughts on Thompson were not complimentary, but he has improved no end, probably due to the tutorship of Adam Barrett, but he is improving all the time.
Somewhere in there is a good defender, and my "opinion" is we would be foolish to let him go.

I would have thought much of defending was about the opponents having the ball at their feet ......... hence the need to defend ............. :nope:

Yes. My post was tongue in cheek. Thompson is our best centre back on the ball, makes many good blocks, but other than that his defending is poor. Barrett or Bolger everyday for me

It's all about opinions, my 1st thoughts on Thompson were not complimentary, but he has improved no end, probably due to the tutorship of Adam Barrett, but he is improving all the time.
Somewhere in there is a good defender, and my "opinion" is we would be foolish to let him go.

You're right, all about opinions. My opinion is if someone actually offered us £150k+ for Thompson (as suggested earlier up this thread) we should snap their hand off and bring in someone of better quality. I could be wrong, he may improve into a quality defender for this level. We'll see.

I think Thompson is the most athletic and intelligent on the ball. His positioning is not as good as say someone like Barrett but it doesn't need to be as good as he is quicker.

He reads the game well.

Our most commanding defender is definately bolger as he has much more strength and aggression.

I think the both of them work well together and all 3 worked well against coventry in a system which worked exceptionally well.

The system unfortunately means our forward line and wingers have to scramble for minimal spots in the team.

Back