• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Another refresher as to why we hate West Ham...

But surely that would be applicable to most clubs, even ours? You don't *tend* to get fans celebrating a promotion or a good finish and then follow it up with a fear of relegation. Even some of our own fans were expecting Southend United to finish in the play-offs; a poll conducted by this forum last summer recorded two or three individuals who expected automatic promotion! That's just the normal expectations of a devoted football supporter. To denigrate West Ham (and Tottenham) fans for such expectations is surely ridiculous?

See in quoting my last post, you've only put in what you wanted - clever editing!!!

OK, there were a few on here who expected us to do well this season, but the vast majority didn't & those who did probably weren't that vocal in their views away from this website!

I liken the club-shop argument to that of if Southampton at the height of top-flight success decided it would be "economically viable" to open a store in Portsmouth.

Why shouldn't we object to that fact, much like the Pompey fans would surely do if this happened?

Anyway, thanks to Lakeside their shop shut down & as has been posted earlier, the tide seems to be changing and there's far less of a stigma to be a Shrimper & there are now a higher proportion of replica Southend shirts walking around SE Essex!

Mike...Biffo...as stated on a couple of occassions, football (coupled with its rivalries) is a game of opinions. I hate to overuse the cliche, but it is true.

I fully respect your reasoned arguments, but whilst in particular, I agree that the economists out there can and will justify the opening of the West Ham shop, it doesn't make it right (and I accept you never said this was the case), nor does it help Shrimpers shake off the opinion that West Ham as a club, and a set of supporters have ideas well above their station.

Yes, they are a traditionally big club, and yes, we are a small (but growing) club. I will however never accept the fact that Southend is 'West Ham territory'. Perhaps the historians amongst the Shrimperzone community can clarify the situation pre-war, before the mass exodus of East Londoners to our sandy white beach resort?!

Indeed Mike...I know not to get you riled...you can out-debate the best of them :D

I have never implied that your experience is invalid and I apologise if it came across as such. I appreciate that times may have changed since "I were a lad" but I can't believe that it has changed to such an extent that Shrimpers and Hamsters are now at each other throats on a Saturday evening down the High Street.

BTW - Objection, your honour. I didn't grow up *supporting* West Ham, I simply followed their progress (and still do) because of the family connection.

Hi Mike, I think this whole thread is getting out of hand. I can see both sides. I was brought up on the North bank so know where you are coming from. In those days, we weren't considered a threat as we were a little team in the 4th division who played on a friday night and people went to RH and Upton Park the next day.

Those days have gone and the success of recent seasons has generated a new breed of Blues supporter with an allegiance totally to SUFC. While we may still be a "small" club in comparison to WH, the gap in terms of league position has shrunk and we could, God willing, be in the same league next year. When you say that there has never been any hostility towards the Blues by WH, then it's only because we have never been considered a threat before. If we play them next year there will be plenty of hostility, unfortunately.

The number of Southend fans is on the increase, as attendances show, and I feel we will gain more from those previously travelling to the East End if we stay up and WH go down. My brother and sister in law are both season card holders at UP (although he is a Millwall fan and only goes along to keep her happy - puzzling heh?) and we have lot of friendly banter. They are moving to Hadleigh and I think he will be coming to watch the Blues.

I feel the real issue here is that Blues fans now want to be seen as equals with West Ham fans i.e. our team is our only team and we are not the second team of a West Ham supporter. In the past, no-one has worried too much but if we are in the same league then it will be like someone living in Edmonton and actively supporting Arsenal - a recipe for conflict.

West Ham are a bigger club, yes, but success breeds success on and off the pitch. If we can stay in the CCC, there is no reason why our fan base can't grow substantially. With the move to a new ground, more Southend based WH fans could also switch to us.

As I said, I can see both sides. For me, I support the team where I live, no-one else!

Have to say I dont hate West Ham. Ive supported Southend since 1the late 80's, and Arsenal since 1977.

Dont get me wrong, Im glad they are going down, but mainly so we can (hopefully) play them next year.

I see teams such as Col U and Orient far more our rivals than West Ham as they have similar resources etc and are more directly in competition with us.

Even with West Ham in our division its clear they are a bigger club and over and period of time its obvious they would enjoy more success than us.

Hopefully however when we move stadium we could see us expand even further, whilst they will continue to remain the bigger club perhaps we could find ourselves closer to them....

I know that there are many ardent Southend fans who also follow the fortunes of Middlesbrough, West Bromwich Albion, Liverpool, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United, Manchester City ... and West Ham United.

I know that there are many ardent Southend fans who also follow the fortunes of Middlesbrough, West Bromwich Albion, Liverpool, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United, Manchester City ... and West Ham United.

Interestingly no mention of Nottingham Forest

It's just me, but I never really get this 'following' other clubs bit, it's Southend United and 100% only them for me, I'm not even bothered about watching England at the weekend (that will start the patriots off!).

I once went to a Forest match (when they got promoted) because I happened to be in Nottingham and it felt completely wrong to be there.

No, I reckon you're not alone, PS. For me, Southend United is my primary team but, as you know, I also follow CD Javea here in Spain simply because it's my local club and I get to see live football every week. As we have already established, I follow the fortunes of West Ham United because I come from a long line of Hammers; I also pop up the road and see Valencia CF play a few times a season (and will be present watching them beat Chelsea in a few weeks time!) It does feel wrong sometimes but I love football ... it's impossible NOT to watch live football for me.

I appreciate that times may have changed since "I were a lad" but I can't believe that it has changed to such an extent that Shrimpers and Hamsters are now at each other throats on a Saturday evening down the High Street.

Well it has, probably linked to the fact there are more Southend fans around who are ****ed off with **** Ham

Back