• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anton Ferdinand

I thought he was a very good player for us and made his centre back partners play their best football alongside him. Thompson, Kyp and Turner all played their best football for us with him alongside. Class player for us, clearly a good captain. Have certainly not replaced him with anything better. Really felt we got rid too early.

I thought he was a very good player for us and made his centre back partners play their best football alongside him. Thompson, Kyp and Turner all played their best football for us with him alongside. Class player for us, clearly a good captain. Have certainly not replaced him with anything better. Really felt we got rid too early.
Agree with great skipper and certainly helped players around him!
Could read the game well, however age had caught up and i've seen milk turn quicker!
JW didn't replace but for me is a bit more mobile.

oh yeah, I'm not saying I thought he should have started every game his last season, but rather I'd have kept him around. Powell was desperate to get rid but we got much worse as a result

John Terry got off so lightly with this! Had this have happened now with all the BLM stuff I imagine the outcome would’ve been very different. Disgusting human being!
Discusting indeed and was still partnering Rio for England iirc.

Will be watching tomorrow with interest.

Anton was a lovely guy, and he knew he wasn't the most mobile, but used his nous to cover for his lack of mobility.

As @Ricey says, would be different entirely had it happened today. I suspect there is still an element of this goes on, but maybe less that's directly a racial slur.

Well done Anton for having the courage to go public with his story. I knew he didnt reach the heights his talent should have got him to, but I had no idea how profound the impact on him and his family was. Comes across well, and would love to have been able to have kept him for longer.

The shame is that it's still going on.

I've always had a lot of time for Anton. I think he breezed through games other players would have struggled with. I wonder what heights a fully focussed Anton would have reached. Such a shame that something that he didn't even want or get involved in should affect him so badly.

I know people would argue that if you become a footballer you have to expect to be in the public eye and expect an amount of abuse, but really? No kid thinks about that kind of thing. No kid will know how that will affect them until it's too late to do anything about it. Footballers are human beings just like you and me, some will handle it and some won't.

We as fans don't have the right to assume that all footballers should be able to handle abuse (of any kind for that matter). We have a responsibility to assume that they can't handle abuse, because no-one should have to.

Thought Neil Warnock came out very well, with his admission in the past he had said things which were wrong and how sorry he was he hurt people and now understands more, as many of us have been guilty in the past, when times were different and I'm afraid to say "acceptable"

See Warnock in a different and seems to be a father figure to Anton at QPR

Ferdinand was shot to bits.

One last payday exemplified.
He was superb in his 1st season, really turned our fortunes around when he arrived, As much as I love Adam Barrett, Anton was a massive improvement at that time and it showed in our defensive displays. I personally think PB made a mistake with Anton after that 1st season, he needed to be game managed better and he wasn't up to playing 2 games a week constantly. Think a fresher Anton would have continued to make an impact but he never had any recovery time.

I personally think he cared about the club too, think one last payday exemplified is a bit harsh.

He was superb in his 1st season, really turned our fortunes around when he arrived, As much as I love Adam Barrett, Anton was a massive improvement at that time and it showed in our defensive displays. I personally think PB made a mistake with Anton after that 1st season, he needed to be game managed better and he wasn't up to playing 2 games a week constantly. Think a fresher Anton would have continued to make an impact but he never had any recovery time.

I personally think he cared about the club too, think one last payday exemplified is a bit harsh.

Thanks for that Ricky.

I, of course, understand what you are saying but, difficult as it is to disagree with someone with your username, I'm sticking to my opinion,

As I said before, I think he was shot to bits when he arrived after being released by Reading having made only 21 appearances in two seasons. Of course he wanted another contract somewhere and if Brown was offering he was certainly going to take it.

My view was supported at the end of the season bash at the Boots and Laces marquee after his first season by my (admittedly hazy, it was a great night) recollection of Rio (was he there?) praising Brown for the way he had managed his brother and lengthened his career.

Perhaps others who attended can confirm or deny.

Interestingly, at that bash, Anton went out of his way to be fulsome in his praise for Adam and what he brought to the team and club and it seemed fairly clear that both Anton and the majority of the team were all very unimpressed with how Adam had been treated by Brown.

In my view, Anton's most lethargic display in our colours came after that bash in our first away game of his second season against Rotherham at the NY Stadium, when he should have been at his fittest after pre season training.

To summarise, I'm sticking to my view but I'm not criticising Anton.

I agree with you that he cared about the club and there is absolutely no reason to suppose he wasn't trying his best - just that his legs could no longer do what his brain was telling them.

Thanks for that Ricky.

I, of course, understand what you are saying but, difficult as it is to disagree with someone with your username, I'm sticking to my opinion,

As I said before, I think he was shot to bits when he arrived after being released by Reading having made only 21 appearances in two seasons. Of course he wanted another contract somewhere and if Brown was offering he was certainly going to take it.

My view was supported at the end of the season bash at the Boots and Laces marquee after his first season by my (admittedly hazy, it was a great night) recollection of Rio (was he there?) praising Brown for the way he had managed his brother and lengthened his career.

Perhaps others who attended can confirm or deny.

Interestingly, at that bash, Anton went out of his way to be fulsome in his praise for Adam and what he brought to the team and club and it seemed fairly clear that both Anton and the majority of the team were all very unimpressed with how Adam had been treated by Brown.

In my view, Anton's most lethargic display in our colours came after that bash in our first away game of his second season against Rotherham at the NY Stadium, when he should have been at his fittest after pre season training.

To summarise, I'm sticking to my view but I'm not criticising Anton.

I agree with you that he cared about the club and there is absolutely no reason to suppose he wasn't trying his best - just that his legs could no longer do what his brain was telling them.

There will always be things us supporters don't agree on. I certainly wasn't having a pop at Barrett, he is highly spoken of by just about everyone, I just think his time was up and Anton was an improvement at the time. I think Barrett probably realised seeing as he retired a few months after being replaced.
I was at the Boots and Laces do, I don't remember seeing Rio there haha maybe you did have one too many, or maybe he arrived once I had left. I already had a cab booked so I did leave a bit early! I remember Ryan Innis' lumberjack shirt when everyone was in black tie though haha.

You are more than entitled to your view mate

Back