• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

onceknownasrab

President
With the news that a number of players have been arrested over match fixing allegations, do you worry just how serious this problem might get?

As we have witnessed in the Yewtree witch hunt, once the authorities have no option but to investigate, more and more of the iceberg begins to surface.

Ask yourself how many times you have thought a player performed inexplicably poor or gave away a needless penalty, got booked for being stupid etc and how many times have you thought some referees are on some other planet to us or pocketing a nice earner?

I am not suggesting all players or refs, or indeed any players or refs are bent, but when issues like this arise we as fans are going to be increasingly dubious about what we see and I wonder how much damage this could do to the game?

What should be done to players who are guilty of match fixing and do you think it is rife? If rife, do you think it has occurred with Blues players in the past?

Footballers (generally) have big gobs and aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. I think this could run and run (like Connor Clifford).

I agree that this is probably just the tip of the iceberg. DJ Campbell has been arrested. Suddenly people are going to be digging for all dodgy red cards and terrible performances.

Footballers (generally) have big gobs and aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. I think this could run and run (like Connor Clifford).

I agree that this is probably just the tip of the iceberg. DJ Campbell has been arrested. Suddenly people are going to be digging for all dodgy red cards and terrible performances.

Alan McCormack and Drewe Broughton might wanna get in touch with their attornies then.

Last edited:
Think I heard that Sam Sodje had been implicated - one of the newspapers? Something about being sent off at a certain time during a match, all allegedly, of course.

Red card Roy used to get sent off for the hell of it .

I have long suspected someone has been fixing Southend's results for most of the twenty five years I have supported them.

Think I heard that Sam Sodje had been implicated - one of the newspapers? Something about being sent off at a certain time during a match, all allegedly, of course.

This certainly damages people's trust in what they are seeing.

Imagine if Sam Sodje's brother made a glaring error 38 seconds into a Sky TV game after this news. People would be much more suspicious.

As much as match officials might get the blood boiling and as much as I love 'assisting them, I doubt very much that any of them had ever taken a bribe. Sadly though it would appear the same cannot be said for certain players. Similar things happened in the 60's (Sheff Wednesday players ?) and it was a relief then that only a very small number of people were involved and hopefully that will prove to be the case again here.

I can't remember where I read it, but it wasn't unknown that clubs would offer "win bonuses" to other clubs that helped them out. Like if it was near the end of the season and a mid-table side who were safe were playing a team challenging for the title, the other team that was challenging for the title would offer a little incentive to beat them.

As much as match officials might get the blood boiling and as much as I love 'assisting them, I doubt very much that any of them had ever taken a bribe. Sadly though it would appear the same cannot be said for certain players. Similar things happened in the 60's (Sheff Wednesday players ?) and it was a relief then that only a very small number of people were involved and hopefully that will prove to be the case again here.

Whilst I suspect it is a ( hopefully very small ) minority , sadly I'm not sure that 'any' is correct....

Anywhere where a human is involved is open to corruption imo. This includeds Horse Racing, Greyhounds, Golf etc as well as football.... And as we all know it is not only limited to sport!

Please do not mention any names in this thread even if you are joking as SZ do not want to be sued for any libel cases.

Obviously the names of people already convicted is fine but anyone you might 'think' fixed a match keep it to yourselves. We all know whose names will come up but please refrain from mentioning it on the forum.

Thank you.

I used to work, and play football for the work team with Steven Sodje!

I can confirm that the work side was never part of match fixing!

Back