• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
Lads,

I am like many of you totally blown away by the attacking force that we are assembling on paper. I think any side that contains Harris, Hall, Johnson, Corr, Grant and Ricketts (hopefully) is going to be a serious force to be reckoned with.

However I am still really worried about the defence.

Morris and Barker got no worries with and as raw as Moshni is he is well worth a start. However I really dont think the full backs are up to standard. Gilbert and Clohessy were I think poor defenisvely last season. Baring in mind this defence got us to 13th last season and he have lost our holding player in Easton.

I appreciate if you attack enough it might not matter but my nagging doubts over our defenc are all that is stopping me backing us to go up.

DtS

I don't think so. If they're all fit, it's solid and will be much more settled this season. If Leonard and Parkinson sign, it'll be looking good.

I also see the emergence of Ferdinand as a big plus; he, more than anyone, will be our defensive shield - doing the simple stuff to keep us tight in the back, and then feeding it to our attacking players.

Fully agree Dave. Why Prosser was kept on I'll never know. And I really don't rate Gilbert as I feel like he loses us possession far too much by just hoofing it up in the general direction of Barry Corr. Even at games I couldn't make last season I lost count of the times Nick Alliker would say "the ball now with Gilbert, who looks for Barry Corr...didn't quite find the big man" or something similar. Various reports have suggested he wasn't on top form due to injuries last season so I'm prepared to give him another chance. Clohessy I think does a decent job whilst not being the best fullback in the league and should be ok.

To be honest we went up last time with Che Wilson and Duncan Jupp as fullbacks and they weren't really world beaters. I think to gain promotion from League 2 you need a very strong spine to your side including a 20 goal striker and everyone else to play slightly above their usual level, just as Che and Juppy did. I think there's no reason why we can't challenge this season with or without Ricketts but yes it would be good to sign at least one more defender.

think we still could do with a good left back, however i think we are still to see the best of gilbert as of yet, maybe this could be his year and level now.

I like Clohessy- form dipped at points but it was his first full season in this level (and i believe he was ever-present); I'd hope he'll have benefitted from the experience and if not, we might have a couple of options if either of Leonard or Parkinson come in.

Afternoon fellow Shrimpers

This is my first post so thought I'd go right in at the deep end as far as topic was concerned, be gentle with me!!

I for one think that we're OK at the back. Now please don't jump down my throat straight away but I don't mind Prosser. I am willing to support any player who goes out on loan and comes back with a determination to fight for the blue shirt. Granted he's not the most delightful footballer on the eye but then again neither was Sodje and look how effective he was. LP is strong, committed in the tackle, decent in the air, disciplined (position wise at least!) and is still young. He can only learn from playing alongside Barker and may yet prove valuable over the course of the season.

Gilly IMO will come good this season and to be fair showed glimpses last. Hopefully the injuries are behind him now, he can get a full pre season and start to show us all why PS was so willing to bring him to Roots Hall

Clohessy had a very good season last year. In the modern mould of full/wing backs he definitley fits the bill. Rarely gets beaten for pace and provides options going forward. Could maybe be stronger in the tackle

Other than that from what I saw at Dartford, the signs are good, Hally, JJ, Harris, Bil & Granty especially

Now form an orderly queue and let disagreement commence!

Fully agree Dave. Why Prosser was kept on I'll never know. And I really don't rate Gilbert as I feel like he loses us possession far too much by just hoofing it up in the general direction of Barry Corr. Even at games I couldn't make last season I lost count of the times Nick Alliker would say "the ball now with Gilbert, who looks for Barry Corr...didn't quite find the big man" or something similar. Various reports have suggested he wasn't on top form due to injuries last season so I'm prepared to give him another chance. Clohessy I think does a decent job whilst not being the best fullback in the league and should be ok.

To be honest we went up last time with Che Wilson and Duncan Jupp as fullbacks and they weren't really world beaters. I think to gain promotion from League 2 you need a very strong spine to your side including a 20 goal striker and everyone else to play slightly above their usual level, just as Che and Juppy did. I think there's no reason why we can't challenge this season with or without Ricketts but yes it would be good to sign at least one more defender.

Exactly, I take Gilbert and Clohessy over Che and Jupp.

I think we ok to be honest, Clohessey and Leonard (hopefully) for RB, Coughlan, Phillips, Barker and Mohsni at CB and Gilbert and Prosser for LB and you could still use Barker there if you needed to. Coughlan, Barker, and Phillips have all been part of teams that have got out of this league before, and Mohsni is a gem. Clohessey is Solid and Gilbert hopefully now he is over his injuries should be better than last year, with Grant and Ferdinand in centre mid there is also plenty of defensive know-how from those two and with our attacking options i definately think we will be looking very strong this season. UTB!

I think we ok to be honest, Clohessey and Leonard (hopefully) for RB, Coughlan, Phillips, Barker and Mohsni at CB and Gilbert and Prosser for LB and you could still use Barker there if you needed to. Coughlan, Barker, and Phillips have all been part of teams that have got out of this league before, and Mohsni is a gem. Clohessey is Solid and Gilbert hopefully now he is over his injuries should be better than last year, with Grant and Ferdinand in centre mid there is also plenty of defensive know-how from those two and with our attacking options i definately think we will be looking very strong this season. UTB!

What about N'Daiye?!?

Nah, I like the attitude of we'll score 1 more than them. I personally would love to see high scoring games next season, a little entertainment wouldnt go a miss after the recent doom and gloom seasons !! 4-4 as a draw and 5-4 wins are just what the doctor ordered !!!

Seriously though, our 'against' record last season wasnt that bad - it was turning draws and 0-1 defeats into wins and draws is what we need !!

UTB's

this is how i see the defence

moshni and barker = possibly the best CB pairing in this division

Clohessey = with a full pro preseason behind him he is going to be fitter stronger etc and a year wiser in terms of footy

gilbert = I was a big critic of his in the first half of the season, but after christmas he seemed to stop hoofing it so much, defensively I always thought he wasnt bad at all, I think we will see an improvement from him this season no doubt.

I have no worries about the first choice back 4 whatsoever, however cover for them is a different matter, phillips is an ok back up CB but cover for full backs is lacking big time, prosser is dire IMO, but he was only ever signed up as a cheap squad option. Saying that grant or ferdinand could play RB in an emergency

Gilbert & Clohessy are perfectly adequate as is (but not excellent), but could still come good. If Phillips can get fit & stay fit we'll have much better cover for Mohsni's inevitable injuries/suspensions.

Afternoon fellow Shrimpers

This is my first post so thought I'd go right in at the deep end as far as topic was concerned, be gentle with me!!

I for one think that we're OK at the back. Now please don't jump down my throat straight away but I don't mind Prosser. I am willing to support any player who goes out on loan and comes back with a determination to fight for the blue shirt. Granted he's not the most delightful footballer on the eye but then again neither was Sodje and look how effective he was. LP is strong, committed in the tackle, decent in the air, disciplined (position wise at least!) and is still young. He can only learn from playing alongside Barker and may yet prove valuable over the course of the season.

Gilly IMO will come good this season and to be fair showed glimpses last. Hopefully the injuries are behind him now, he can get a full pre season and start to show us all why PS was so willing to bring him to Roots Hall

Clohessy had a very good season last year. In the modern mould of full/wing backs he definitley fits the bill. Rarely gets beaten for pace and provides options going forward. Could maybe be stronger in the tackle

Other than that from what I saw at Dartford, the signs are good, Hally, JJ, Harris, Bil & Granty especially

Now form an orderly queue and let disagreement commence!

Look if you're not going to talk sense, just get off the board! :winking:

Only jesting of course...I'd agree in most of what you say - would definitely disagree on Prosser though. Sodje was indeed not the most delightful footballer but was (mostly) effective. Prosser so far has been neither. I'd love to be proved wrongm but can't see that he has dropped to a suitable level yet. What I would say though is he is reasonable defensive cover and I'd rather play him in an injury crisis than Paul Sturrocks aunt.

this is how i see the defence

moshni and barker = possibly the best CB pairing in this division

Clohessey = with a full pro preseason behind him he is going to be fitter stronger etc and a year wiser in terms of footy

gilbert = I was a big critic of his in the first half of the season, but after christmas he seemed to stop hoofing it so much, defensively I always thought he wasnt bad at all, I think we will see an improvement from him this season no doubt.

I have no worries about the first choice back 4 whatsoever, however cover for them is a different matter, phillips is an ok back up CB but cover for full backs is lacking big time, prosser is dire IMO, but he was only ever signed up as a cheap squad option. Saying that grant or ferdinand could play RB in an emergency

....and Hall did pretty well at Left Back last year, though admittedly I think he only played there against Barnet and Hereford IIRC

EDIT..don't think it was Barnet, but probably someone else shytely.

Last edited:
Back