• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

my beef with hall playing left back is it diminished our attacking options so much, no thank you

Oh yeah - god no, not suggesting we turn him into the next Che Wilson - just responding to the "lack of cover" comments.

Why are people forgetting Coughlan in all this? He played a pretty high percentage of games last season and played in both pre-seasons so far.....we actually have 5 centre backs on our books (Barker, Coughlan, Prosser, Phillips, Mohsni), two of whom can also play left back (yeah, I know Barker was originally signed for there but he's a great centre back!) and Anthony Grant who has played both centre and right back at times. With Leonard in, I reckon we're pretty well sorted.

Yep no probs, think Gilbert will be a different player this season. Only worry is Phillips and Prosser, dont rate either but think Coughlan was superb last season and could do a good job this season too. Defence looked far better with Morris in goal and Kane in midfield, dont think we let that many goals in with those two in the team.

Why are people forgetting Coughlan in all this? He played a pretty high percentage of games last season and played in both pre-seasons so far.....we actually have 5 centre backs on our books (Barker, Coughlan, Prosser, Phillips, Mohsni), two of whom can also play left back (yeah, I know Barker was originally signed for there but he's a great centre back!) and Anthony Grant who has played both centre and right back at times. With Leonard in, I reckon we're pretty well sorted.

Coughlan's lack of pace will increasingly become a problem; I thought he looked slower than ever at Wakering when he came on.

The defence could well be a problem next season. Morris is just a very average keeper, a fairly good shot stopper but decision making and coming for crosses is a problem. Clohessy is nothing special at all, Gilbert is a poor full back judging by his performances last season. Mohsni has the potential to be a very good centre-back but needs to progress in this coming season. Barker deservedly won the player of the year award but is in his thirties and unlikely to improve. As cover, Prosser is not up to Football League standard and Coughlan is way past his best although could well be a fine coach and maybe manager one day.

Gilbert is a poor full back judging by his performances last season.
Didn't you pick up on the fact that he was playing most of last season requiring an operation (hernia, I think)? I think it's very unfair to declare him a "poor full back" when he was not playing at full fitness for the bulk of the season. As I've said elsewhere, he looked very bright and sharp at Dartford so hopefully having now had the op we'll see Gilbert at his best.

Didn't you pick up on the fact that he was playing most of last season requiring an operation (hernia, I think)? I think it's very unfair to declare him a "poor full back" when he was not playing at full fitness for the bulk of the season. As I've said elsewhere, he looked very bright and sharp at Dartford so hopefully having now had the op we'll see Gilbert at his best.

We can't keep making excuses for bad players. If he's fit enough to play, he's fit enough to play well.

I'm not sure if I follow you? You're saying we shouldn't judge a player on a whole season playing at the clubs current level, we should instead judge him on 45 minutes of a pre-season friendly against a non-league team? :stunned:

Last edited:

Why didn't he have the operation then ? It's not as if he was indispensible on last year's form.

I do wonder wot we expect to have as a league 2 team that failed to pay its players no more than 12mths ago 4 me the squad is very strong and very capable of gaining promotion , ya we would always rate un slate diffrent players thats football we all have diffrant opinions, all i can say is get behind them all un lets go up united

Lets not forget about Teddy Nesbitt either mind. For a youngster thought he did well, player with definate potential!

Back