• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are premiership players overpaid?

Are premiership players over payed?

• Yes, they are paid ridiculous amounts of money

Votes: 38 70.4%
  • Yes, they are more important people in the world

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • No, they are paid sensible amounts of money

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • No, you must be kidding

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters

TBV_Dan

Supporting The Blue Voice
I was just having an interesting conversation with my brother (who supports man utd) about the wages of football players. We were talking about the game today, and he told me a really interesting fact... Man utd are paying out approximately 47 million in wages per week. Chelsea are paying out about 50 million per week on all their players wages. He also stated that Lampard was getting 150k per week and there was rumours that he was considering moving to another team just to get more money.

In my opinion, this is a ridiculous amount of money, all the footballers do is kick a football around for about 90 mins and get payed. If your lucky, you may get two games in one week.

The reason I have started this poll is that I wanted to know what other people's views were, everyone has their own view.

Last edited:
Are premiersh!te players overpaid?
Am i undersexed?

Different question with the same answer - Of course, but do you really give a sh!t?

I meant overall, sorry, didn't make that clear enough!!!!!!

No they're not! United's starting XI will be on about a million a week in total.

If you compare footballers to nurses then obviously they're on too much money. If you compare them to Baseball players or Formula One drivers then arguably they are underpaid.

If you compare footballers to nurses then obviously they're on too much money. If you compare them to Baseball players or Formula One drivers then arguably they are underpaid.
Yeah, but if you think, who are more important in the world, then nurses, paramedics, doctors, ect would come out top every time, footballers, formula 1 drivers, baseball players would come last.

Their high wages may seem a bit unseemly but they're no worse than many other professions. The market allows it, so they get paid what they do. Of course it would be a better world if nurses got £80,000 a week, but no-one is willing to pay them that.

Man Utd and Chelsea will stop paying players astronomical wages when people stop going to games/buying merchandise and when the tv networks stop showing Premier League games and paying through the nose for the privilege - i.e. never.

Yeah, but if you think, who are more important in the world, then nurses, paramedics, doctors, ect would come out top every time, footballers, formula 1 drivers, baseball players would come last.

Well obviously. Your not going to get anyone to argue that a footballer deserves to earn ten times more in a year than a Doctor does.

As Uxbridge Shrimper said, it's the market.

Are footballers overpaid... This should spark an interesting debate.

yes

Of course they are, but then again so are actors, pop stars and a huge number of other sports' stars. I agree with what Uxbridge says though, as long as the market's willing to pay then they're hardly going to turn round and say "er no thank you, I'll just take a nominal 50k a year" are they?

I find it completely obscene when there are so many people in the world struggling on a pittance. I can feel another debate on socio-economic balance coming on.

Who knows - ask Ron Martin, he might be able to tell you!

I reckon our top earner is probably on 2.5-3k a week.
So, the highest paid player in our squad is payed around about 50X less than the average premier league player would.

Frank Lampard is on 150k per week and there are rumours that he may leave chelsea in order to earn more money.

Premier League players are just too greedy.

So, the highest paid player in our squad is payed around about 50X less than the average premier league player would.

Frank Lampard is on 150k per week and there are rumours that he may leave chelsea in order to earn more money.

Premier League players are just too greedy.

To be fair, greed may come into it a bit but as Beefy says, it's all about the market. If you were a top-class Prem player, and you saw reports that players of equivalent quality was getting 30k a week more than you, then you'd probably want a rise because you were being underpaid according the the market.

The only way wages at the top level will change is when the fans stop pouring so much of their hard-earned into the teams, but while the Prem is so popular that's never going to happen.

Yes in short.

They are paid far too much money. But like someone else said, if the market allows it, its going to happen.

The worst thing about it all is that a lot of talented kids would take far far less money to get the chance to be a Premiership footballer and want to do it becuase it is their passion and their dream. Anything other than that is pure greed. Moving to another club for more money is a disgrace in my eyes.

The stigma attached to being a footballer is that it is "every young lads dream" - that is what makes it different to any other job in the country. So when you see these overpaid prima donnas that float around doing what they want when they want, its inevitable that people will get angry. For example when Terry parked his massive wagon in a disabled bay. He doesnt care because he can afford the fine. Some of them are a disgrace.

I stand with my belief that money has ruined the game and I dont think it will ever get any better. The greedy players will continue to get paid more and the average football fan will be priced out of the game. Sad but true.

Of course the players deserve the money they generate.

Why is it obscene for a footballer to earn top wages, yet its perfectly acceptable for a film star to earn millions for a film?

If 75,000 people want to pay £50 to go and watch Wayne Rooney and Owen Hargreaves at Old Trafford or 70,000 want to pay £60 at Ashburton Grove, sorry I should use the sponsor's name as the sponsor paid millions of pounds to be associated with Cesc Fabregras and Adebayor, then I'd suggest the players deserve to share in the money that that generates. That works out at millions a year. And then there is the TV money. If Sky and Sentana get into a bidding war over Premier$hite TV rights, not to mention TV in Thailand, Singapore, US, China etc who should get that money? I'd suggest that the Glazers, Abrahamovich deserve a return on their capital, but the players also should receive their share, and their share equates to millions.

The argument against players earning millions can be summed up in one word: jealousy.

I agree, footballers wages are paid according to market economics, and whilst the supply of decent players is limited and demand remains high they fully justify the pay that they get.

There is no simple answer to this, obviously the jobs that nurses, fireman etc do is far more important to our lives, but as with anything a price, a wage will be dictated by the market, and what someone is willing to pay them.

If a club such as Man Utd, made a stand and said to their players right from no on you are only on 10k a week, they would have very fewplayers very soon, because someone else would pay them more, and so the makret has moved to dictate the price they are worth.

Its because the fans love it so much, and spend so much, so this is passed on for the players in wages.

So basically yes but no

Back