• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are we losing the " GREAT" in Great Britain?

Winkle

Manager
Having not posted anything at all meaning full over the past few weeks, am I to beleive we are loosing our identity as a country? If some how It is just me then I apologise profusely right now, but I am sick to death of do gooders ,mamby pamby politicans and worst of all, these people (convicts) who keep knocking on my door, giving me a load of spheel about how they have committed some crime and that they want to be forgiven then opening a suitcase full of sponges ,scourers, and anything Kitcheny with the full intention of paining on my very overstretched heart strings into buying them.

I mean, why would I? Sorry and all that but I have never (nowingly) committed any crime against humanity, so why should I want to buy a jay cloth of some minging looking herbert at three times the price. It gets worse... the bettaware catologue people who knock me up out of bed (I work nights) just so they get the catologue back that they shoved through my door in the first place!

Please dont get me started on Jehovah witnesses, The tinkers who want to cut my tree down for £15 and the obese looking neandathols at Kentucky who sell me a ten piece bargain bucket, forget what I asked for ten seconds later then proceed to take hours putting what looks like a sparrow covered in breadcumbs into a box that clearly states "kentucky fried chicken".

I mean how hard can it be, am I expecting to much? Have I been spoilt by the milk of human kindness over the last four decades? Have "please" and "thankyou", dissapeared from the Universal Oxford Dictionary?
Please feel free to comment as the last time I looked we where still living in a free society.....Oh and one other thing, if the council think they are going to stick some gadget on my wheelie bin without a fight, they have another thing coming.
P.S I am having a bad day!!!!

Oh and one other thing, if the council think they are going to stick some gadget on my wheelie bin without a fight, they have another thing coming.
P.S I am having a bad day!!!!

Whats this about...?

I did guess.

:finger:

What about the obnoxious little s**tty 16 year olds that sit on the bus or train, with their mobile phones at maximum volume playing awful rap or rnb music through a shrill tinny little speaker for the rest of the passengers to enjoy? Don't their parents teach them manners??? :guns:

kids with there mobile phones with music blaring out are doing my tits in! why do they think we would want to listen to there music.

All there doing is seein what they can get away with and testing boundaries and authoritys.. and why dont we try and stop them... we get stabbed

Having not posted anything at all meaning full over the past few weeks, am I to beleive we are loosing our identity as a country?

Why? Just because you haven't posted anything meaningful in the past few weeks? Get over yourself!

:p

Did we ever have it or was it individulas who pushed forth what they wanted and got results ;). Anyway just change mes amie , go with it , nothing last's for ever . A perfect opportunity for you to create a New Great Britian ;) England ... greater empire of Winkle land etc

We lost the great in Britain when we stopped ransacking inferior countries and pluindering their goods. Or getting the chinkies hooked on opium so we could mug their silk and spices. Bring back the days when we could bribe a few darkies with beads and milk bottle tops and steal their women and menfolk to work tea and cotton fields.
CAll me a b@st@rd as ye may but Drake and Rayleigh managed to slave and pirate and they got statues and medals for it.

We lost the great in Britain when we stopped ransacking inferior countries and pluindering their goods. Or getting the chinkies hooked on opium so we could mug their silk and spices. Bring back the days when we could bribe a few darkies with beads and milk bottle tops and steal their women and menfolk to work tea and cotton fields.
CAll me a b@st@rd as ye may but Drake and Rayleigh managed to slave and pirate and they got statues and medals for it.

I really hope this is tongue in cheek...

I really hope this is tongue in cheek...

So do I . Is completyly mised out posible invention of the Consentration camp. Allowing the first mutli national companie (the East india trading companey ) to "buy " a country and the general segregation and puting down of the rest of the home countries !!!

Mind you that was goverment policey of teh day(s) dictated by a very small minority

Mind you that was goverment policey of teh day(s) dictated by a very small minority

..exactly, that mninority was the government or the royals. Nothing to do with the British people. Exploiting whomsoever to keep them fat.
I'm not proud, years ago i'd be up a chimney or swinging from the gallows.
Yes
choggy... it is tongue in cheek. Offensive yes. True? you couldn't make it up !

..exactly, that mninority was the government or the royals. Nothing to do with the British people. Exploiting whomsoever to keep them fat.
I'm not proud, years ago i'd be up a chimney or swinging from the gallows.
Yes
choggy... it is tongue in cheek. Offensive yes. True? you couldn't make it up !

I was wondering! There was some guy who posted some cr@p a while back about immigrants and then said he didn't care because he was off to 'Bongo bongo land'.

Personally, I think there's lots of reasons to still think of Britain as 'great'. Trouble is, it's almost become taboo to be proud to be British because the moment somebody tries to drum up some patriotic pride and fervour they get accused of being a racist nationalist bigot by the PC loony left.

Just a thought but why not look for pride in the things you have achieved rather than relying on the 'two world wars and one world cup' accomplishments of our forefathers?

Who started this thread anyway?....... I'm over it now, sunday was a bad day, lets all hug and make the world a better place.

Anyone watching the Andrew Marrs programme (BBC 2 9oc Tuesdays) ?
It would appear the "Great" went out of Britain many years ago.....

I know the "Great" is a geographical term (as in Greater London I suppose) but apart from Individual acheivements along the line of sportsmen, Writers , poets, scientists. Can anyone think of anything which made the nation a world power all those years ago, other then imperialism and oppression of indiginous peoples ?
Now that is not meant as a "slag off" of our country, I am as fiercely proud of our country as the next man, but mainly of what we have acheived as people.
Our arts, invention and innovation, our levels of education and our global understanding (as opposed to other nations blinkered insularity).
Personally I believe what is making the country great recently is its ability to understand its past actions and their implications, learn from them and move on. (well I did until Iraq !)
(well on

the past was not better than today. Its a popular misconception..Life is generally much better and easier for peoepl now than it ever has been .. A lot safer too.. People are less happy cos they are force fed bad news 24/7..
This country has always had drunken foulmouth scrapping youths, a Booze culture, Incompetent politicians, Corupt nobility,, blah etc Gambling etc drugs.. blah blah.. As for its 'Greastness' well its still in the top few economically, and militarily, ..Also you could take the view that America, Canada, Aus etc are just extensions of Britain that now govern themsleves thus we are still the worlds Superpower but with a management buyout of certain departments..

Anyone watching the Andrew Marrs programme (BBC 2 9oc Tuesdays) ?
It would appear the "Great" went out of Britain many years ago.....

I know the "Great" is a geographical term (as in Greater London I suppose) but apart from Individual acheivements along the line of sportsmen, Writers , poets, scientists. Can anyone think of anything which made the nation a world power all those years ago, other then imperialism and oppression of indiginous peoples ?
Now that is not meant as a "slag off" of our country, I am as fiercely proud of our country as the next man, but mainly of what we have acheived as people.
Our arts, invention and innovation, our levels of education and our global understanding (as opposed to other nations blinkered insularity).
Personally I believe what is making the country great recently is its ability to understand its past actions and their implications, learn from them and move on. (well I did until Iraq !)
(well on

Suggest you read Niall Ferguson's "Empire" if you want to know why GB was so successful. Just for some highlights, first major industrial nation - mass manufacturing and heavy industry made Britain incredibly wealthy, but the ability to establish and protect trade routes and markets through the Navy was also key.

The basic political structure in GB made it the most stable in Europe with (at least relatively for the time) government being done through a form of democratic consensus which at least took into account the needs of the people in some way and thus provided stability and some form of social mobility.

That do for starters?

Pre eminence of London for Banking and finance.. Inspirational ideas like the National Debt..

Back