• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Massimo Giovanni

Old Timer⭐⭐
Di Canio has banned mobile phones, ketchup and mayonnaise from the training ground at Black Cats.
He explains why clearly and it makes sense, mainly.

If you were manager in the current game what would you change now so much more is organised and specified, measured and prepared for.......what's left?

If I was a Premmadonnaship side manager I would ban players getting off the coach at away game wearing huge headphones or chatting on mobiles so they can IGNORE all the fans waiting to pay their wages as they go into the stadium.
It is rude and not entertaining.

At away games, I would ask the players to go over and thank the away fans ............ and not stand on the half way line and do it!

I'd ban agents, things would run a lot smoother and help to quash how much power the players have these days.

You can only wear non-black boots if you've made over 200 appearances for the club.

Probably more chairman than manager, but transfer policy.

I find it difficult to believe that clubs are so quick to entrust managers with transfers to such a degree. Not only do managers tend to have other things on their plate and spend the major recruitment window on holiday, but they have a habit of being sacked prematurely, leaving the players they've purchased at the club. If a new manager comes in and take a disliking to said player(s), then the club are already losing out.

I'd hand over the bulk share of recruitment responsibility to a Director of Football/Technical Director, or whatever the buzzword is for that position these days and his network of scouts/contacts. It's obviously important that said DoF/TD doesn't tread on the manager's toes and has a working relationship with that manager that allows feedback to flow up the chain, but managers rarely have the contacts or business acumen to know when a deal's right or wrong. They judge on instinct and gut feeling, and those kind of transfers have a habit of backfiring.

Former Monaco Technical Director Tor Kristian-Karlsen made a good point in the Guardian the other week. He noted that if you look at the Premier League clubs who've spent the best money in the past two seasons - Spurs, Man City and to an extent Chelsea/Newcastle - their transfer policy has been dictated and carried out not by the managers, but by people higher up the chain and chief scouts. If you look at the clubs that have struggled this summer - Arsenal and Man United - they've no such individual to conduct transfers and are being left behind. City in particular wrapped up their key targets in June and July while United were still thumbing around Thiago. A Director of Football with the right contacts might've known that he was always destined to link up with Guardiola at Bayern, and United wouldn't have wasted their time pursuing him.

I'd ban agents, things would run a lot smoother and help to quash how much power the players have these days.

Which would limit you to employing only those players who choose to represent themselves. You wouldn't last long!

Back