• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just sent mine too
Dear Sirs

Firstly I would like to thank Councillor Woodley for so openly calling for opinions regarding the proposed development by Southend United at Fossetts Farm.

I was brought up in Thorpe Bay and schooled at Southend High School for Boys, but now live outside the Borough boundaries but am a regular visitor back to Southend – mainly to watch Southend United, the club I started supporting as a boy.

I am a Chartered Town Planner by profession and so look at this proposal not just through the partisan eyes of a football fan, but also with those of a professional who is well-used to balancing the pros and cons of a development proposal.

On balance, I would have to say the merits of the proposal far outweigh the negative aspects. I believe that the effect on the town centre will in fact be negligible as out of town retail parks are part and parcel of 21st century retailing now and have a different offering to those found in town centres. Looking at nearby Chelmsford as a good example of this, there are already two out of town retail areas similar in size to that proposed at Fossetts Farm – Riverside and Chelmer Valley. Both are vibrant and seem to have had no effect on the vibrancy of the town centre – indeed John Lewis are just building a store in the town centre which is indicative of its health.

Such out of town retail parks are popular because of their free parking and ease of access, and rather than harming commerce in the town, I think would enhance it and may stop people travelling further afield to visit shops, restaurants and leisure facilities of the nature proposed which don’t exist in Southend at the moment.

Southend has improved immeasurably as a town since I was a boy – areas such as the seafront are now unrecognisable and much of this is testament to the hard work of the council and public servants such as Councillor Woodley, and sustained investment in facilities. It cannot be refuted that Roots Hall is now a tired old lady, not fit for purpose as a 21st Century sporting facility. Please Councillor Woodley, add your weight to improving another of Southend’s much loved amenities, and one which continues to give the town a profile beyond its boundaries – its football club. By allowing the club to develop a stadium to be proud of, you will also enhance retail, housing, leisure and sporting facilities for those in the Borough. Surely that is a good thing?

Loving the word epistle - you just don't see it used enough in the 21st Century. :thumbsup:

Funny you should mention that because I was in the pub the other day and I asked my mate from Yorkshire why he just had a go at some bloke as they were leaving the gents. He said " epistle over t' shoe"

Councillor Woodley also resounded as a addressed to him as well. I am sure this all in some way helps and would urge all to invest the necessary few minutes :-)

Thank you for your email, I have taken note your points.

Kind Regards

Ron Woodley

Councillor Woodley also resounded as a addressed to him as well. I am sure this all in some way helps and would urge all to invest the necessary few minutes :-)

Thank you for your email, I have taken note your points.

Kind Regards

Ron Woodley

Ron's English isn't very good, is it?

I've consulted with a few friends and come up with the following ..."Darling fascist bully boy, give us a stadium, you b******. May the seed of your loins be fruitful in the belly of your woman".

What you reckon ?

I've consulted with a few friends and come up with the following ..."Darling fascist bully boy, give us a stadium, you b******. May the seed of your loins be fruitful in the belly of your woman".

What you reckon ?

Great if you want Donald Trump on board. Lets face it he has built a lot of impressive stuff

Unfortunately, only zoners of a certain age group and weird sense of humour will understand the origins of my post !:winking:

Great if you want Donald Trump on board. Lets face it he has built a lot of impressive stuff

I am not sure Ron would be comfortable with the involvement of a man with an even more remarkable head of 'hair' than he has.

I think the fact we are only asking for approval rather than financial backing is a big thing. The Tories set a precedent suporting West Hams move to the Olympic stadium with an obscene amount of tax payers money, if they can't support us then I'm sure a lot of shrimpers will stop supporting them

Not only are we not asking for money, we are having to pay a 'contribution' (or whatever the more appropriate term is) and will bring new facilities/businesses/visitors to the town. To be fair I think the council is on side with all this but it helps politicians immensely if public opinion is seen to be on side/significant as well- hence why these excersizes help- anyway hopefully all on hear have found the 5 mins to pen and send the e-mail by now.

Just received a response from Cllr Woodley re my email as follows:

Thank you for your e-mail, nicely balanced view and yes if the stadium gets the go ahead it is my job to make sure that the high street and the infrastructure can work in line and in partnership with the clubs proposals.

Interesting that he responded personally to 1 of many emails on the subject he must have received.

Only time will tell if we get the outcome we all want.

Interesting that posters have had replies from him already, I haven't yet. Probably stuck in the post.

To be honest, i'm losing interest in it now. RM won't tell us how it's going to benefit SUFC. Other than the fact that without it we're screwed.

Back