• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This is a response I had recently, I would guess more reaction once the publication goes out:

Dear all

Thank you for sending in your email regarding the article in last month's Oracle. Your letter has been selected to appear in the Local Letters for our next edition out on 2nd and 3rd of January.

--
Many Thanks,
Michaela Buckley

Oh well, my letter didn't make it in the end, but others seem to be making the same points.

...it seems to be very pro the club ! I expected there to be a few NIMBY' on the letters page.

"and for our part the club will keep all supporters advised of progress including when the planning application will be considered by members of the council" R.Martin. :blush:

OldBlueLady;1819576[B said:
]Oh well, my letter didn't make it in the end[/B], but others seem to be making the same points.

At least you got an acknowledgement of your letter!!!!

I don't quite understand all this. Why are they asking for views directed to a private magazine ? Wouldn't they be better going to the council etc ?
Am I being thick ? :dizzy:

I don't quite understand all this. Why are they asking for views directed to a private magazine ? Wouldn't they be better going to the council etc ?

Must admit I also find it a little strange that this debate came about by the leader of the Council asking for views in a magazine which is only distributed to a small, supposedly select, number of households in the town. Until this thread came up I must admit that I'd never heard of Oracle, I don't live in the right road, don'tcha know, old boy.

Find it interesting that this magazine, which is supposedly aimed at 'the opinion formers' in the town, has published almost exclusively positive letters. I wonder if that is truly representative of their postbag?
Conversely, the Echo seems to be printing very little but negative letters in their letters pages, mainly from people seeming to be under the delusion that FF will kill Southend High Street; I've got news for them, Southend High Street is getting very close to drawing its final breaths without any potential assistance from FF, it has achieved that all on its own. Basically, the traditional High Street is a dead business model for anything but small niche shops. Realistically any large retailer will struggle and continue to struggle in a high rent, high rate environment in an area which makes the majority of shoppers who come by anything other than public transport unwelcome. These visitors are then subjected to an experience which can be cold, wet and windy, especially in the peak retail season just before and after Xmas, and can also be threatening and scary after dark.
Most of the large chain retailers, even at somewhere like Lakeside, which is welcoming, warm and conducive to a more pleasant shopping experience are rapidly becoming little more than showrooms for their goods to be purchased online; Debenhams, for instance, actually didn't have something in the right size that we wanted to purchase this year and we were advised that they almost certainly would have it online by an assistant who also pointed to a sign that said that if we ordered online before 8pm they would guarantee delivery before 12 midday the following morning....

In the not too distant future the only retail premises that will exist will be very niche shops, others, which will basically be showrooms for goods which you would like to see in the flesh before purchase, and anything which actually requires your physical presence, restaurants, theatres, cinemas, hairdressers and the like. This is what will make FF attractive to many retailers who will address the physical needs of a customer whose physical presence is in their vicinity. The football stadium, and also the multi-screen cinema, will attract a guaranteed footfall passing the front door of those types of business, even more so if the stadium can hold concerts, exhibitions, conferences and the like.

It is the direction in which retail, both in this country, and abroad, is moving, almost inexorably and, as a supporter of SUFC, I feel it can only be a good thing to be involved in the future evolution of the coming retail model.

Just seen these figures which John Lewis have released this morning about their Xmas trading this year, just reiterates the direction in which High Street retail is heading, I expect most other large retailers will post similar figures.

Black Friday, Christmas and post-Christmas trading at John Lewis was boosted by online sales, which rose 21.4%, offsetting a fall in store sales.

John Lewis Partnership chairman Sir Charlie Mayfield told the BBC that "grocery is challenging".

However, he said: "We're pleased with our overall results, we think they'll be pretty much in line with the market."
He added that John Lewis' Black Friday sales had been "more heavily weighted towards online" than in previous years, and that its shops had not been as busy as on previous Black Fridays.

John Lewis sent out 18% more parcels than a year earlier in the Black Friday sales period - peaking at five parcels a second in its busiest hour.

Sophie McCarthy, an analyst at Conlumino, said the John Lewis Partnership trading figures had been "robust".
She said that the retailer's "emphasis on quality and service" and its investment in online shopping "continues to be favoured by consumers".

John Lewis had a "surge" in online trading during the period, helped by sales made through mobile devices, she said.

"Click-and-collect orders also rose this year, with half of online orders collected in this way," she added.

Back