• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Average number of points

Ron Manager

Firstly, this isn't a negative post - I honestly do not believe there is any team we should be scared of in this league and feel that we can continue the season as we've started it.

However realistically at the start of the season many of us felt that our first aim would be to get sufficient points to be safe. I feel that is still the first milestone in our season, hopefully fairly early in the campaign so we can push on from there. So, how many points is that exactly? Well, here are the teams who've finished one place above relegation in this league over the past 10 seasons - along with their points total:

2004/05 Milton Keynes Dons 51
2003/04 Chesterfield 51
2002/03 Chesterfield 50
2001/02 Northampton 49
2000/01 Swindon Town 52
1999/00 Oxford United 45
1998/99 Oldham Athletic 51
1997/98 Burnley 52
1996/97 York City 52
1995/96 York City 52

The average is 50.5, however with four teams in the last 10 seasons needing 52 points I'd say that is the figure we aim at. We are currently averaging (just over) 1.8 points per game so if we continue at our current form then we would reach 52 points after 29 league games - so pencil in Tranmere away in January as the date for the first celebration of the season!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Sep. 18 2005,10:04)]And 1.8 x 46 = 82.8- which surely would be promotion form.
It would have got us 3rd place last year.

Joint 3rd in 03/04.

Joint 4th in 02/03.

5th in 01/02.

4th in 00/01.

Joint 5th in 99/00.

Joint 3rd in 98/99.

3rd in 97/98.

Joint 2nd in 96/97.

and

Joint 3rd in 95/96.

So not actually promotion form - but certainly play-off form.

We should really just have a countdown to 50 points. Only 33 to go!! Come on you Shrimpers!!

I'd add a safety margin and go for 55 points. A third there after a fifth of games gone

No don't pin the topic - the hazel nuts will get stuck
cool.gif

Back