• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm sure they would and it completely sums up the selfish, self-interested attitude which plagues our sport from top to bottom.

No one has any interest in what is good for the game. They're just interested in themselves.

That is exactly what has instigated this proposed change though. There's an initiative to improve the England squad, but the Premierships value is far too important for us to impose any sort of supporting ruling into the highest earning league in the world, for fear of upsetting the apple cart. A ruling that reduced the influx of foreign players into the top league, and supported the use of home grown players, albeit a quota, a more realistic way of valueing home grown players so clubs didn't look abroad for cheaper alternatives or a way of improving the football education to our own players.

But the Premiership do not want to be ditacted to, they want to be able to hoover up all the local talent in the off chance of finding that one player, but they can't keep them all happy, whilst buying the cheaper foreign imports that can immediatly transition into the team. So rather than allowing the pool of players to be shared amongst teams outside the elite, or taking a chance on them and playing them. They decide to compete against those clubs they are currently depriving of the opportunity to unearth the gem that could change their fortunes with their hoover up all the local talent. Even in the off chance we do find a local gem, the new grading system of youth academies, means we lose them for next to nothing already. Now, they've taken that away from us, they want to use those players against us, to potentially deprive us the one big day out, one of our only chances of success. just so they can claim they are supporting the England squad, by forcing us to make the sacrifices, so they don't have to. There will be nothing left for them to take soon.

Saying the little clubs are selfish, for trying to hold onto the only thing the Premiership hasn't taken from us, seems short sighted. And you're one of my favourite posters on here.

If you're willing to sacrifice the club you love for a fruitless potshot at the World Cup then you're in a tiny minority. Every one of the clubs in Leagues 1/2 would tell you the same.

I happen to put England above League Football. However, when the PL was set up we were told it would benefit the England team for a number of reasons. One that was given was that players would be fresher because they would play less matches. So what did the top teams do? They set up the Champions League, and now players play at least the same number of matches as before.

Given that the England team hasn't actually benefited at all, why would anyone believe allowing PL B teams into the JPT would? It is a load of codswallop, and is designed purely to benefit the teams in the PL.

I'm sure they would and it completely sums up the selfish, self-interested attitude which plagues our sport from top to bottom.

No one has any interest in what is good for the game. They're just interested in themselves.

I'm sorry but you've got this completely arse about face Beefy. It's not the little clubs being greedy here.

That is exactly what has instigated this proposed change though. There's an initiative to improve the England squad, but the Premierships value is far too important for us to impose any sort of supporting ruling into the highest earning league in the world, for fear of upsetting the apple cart. A ruling that reduced the influx of foreign players into the top league, and supported the use of home grown players, albeit a quota, a more realistic way of valueing home grown players so clubs didn't look abroad for cheaper alternatives or a way of improving the football education to our own players.

But the Premiership do not want to be ditacted to, they want to be able to hoover up all the local talent in the off chance of finding that one player, but they can't keep them all happy, whilst buying the cheaper foreign imports that can immediatly transition into the team. So rather than allowing the pool of players to be shared amongst teams outside the elite, or taking a chance on them and playing them. They decide to compete against those clubs they are currently depriving of the opportunity to unearth the gem that could change their fortunes with their hoover up all the local talent. Even in the off chance we do find a local gem, the new grading system of youth academies, means we lose them for next to nothing already. Now, they've taken that away from us, they want to use those players against us, to potentially deprive us the one big day out, one of our only chances of success. just so they can claim they are supporting the England squad, by forcing us to make the sacrifices, so they don't have to. There will be nothing left for them to take soon.

Saying the little clubs are selfish, for trying to hold onto the only thing the Premiership hasn't taken from us, seems short sighted. And you're one of my favourite posters on here.

I'm sorry but you've got this completely arse about face Beefy. It's not the little clubs being greedy here.

Oh the Premier League and the clubs at that level are at least as bad. I never suggested otherwise. And, to reiterate the point I made earlier, I don't support this plan or any other which sees 'B' teams playing in the pyramid. It won't achieve what it is set out to do and again is primarily driven by self-interest.

I do though have sympathy for the likes of Greg Dyke who have to try to improving things in a system in which people are fundamentally entrenched in a way of doing things and in which everyone sees the greater good as being completely subservient to what is good for them.

You see it across FFP (pushed in order to benefit big clubs who won't any longer have to worry about someone bankrolling a little club and taking them above their station), the EPPP system (in which the bulk of football fans argue that our best young talent should not have access to the best facilities and coaching available) and pretty much any other change or proposed change you can think of. There's a total opposition to long-term planning from the top to the bottom and fear from all involved that the real motives of anyone suggesting that things might be better done another way are to try to take things away from them.

And then every four years we wonder why we don't achieve anything at a World Cup.

Shouldn't the premier league b teams play in a league against European clubs b teams, at least those who would want to take part. Get lost Dyke. We know your long term plan and it ain't gonna happen. The fans will have your guts for garters. You underestimate the depth of feeling football fans have for their clubs and it will backfire on you. BOYCOTT.

Oh the Premier League and the clubs at that level are at least as bad. I never suggested otherwise. And, to reiterate the point I made earlier, I don't support this plan or any other which sees 'B' teams playing in the pyramid. It won't achieve what it is set out to do and again is primarily driven by self-interest.

I do though have sympathy for the likes of Greg Dyke who have to try to improving things in a system in which people are fundamentally entrenched in a way of doing things and in which everyone sees the greater good as being completely subservient to what is good for them.

You see it across FFP (pushed in order to benefit big clubs who won't any longer have to worry about someone bankrolling a little club and taking them above their station), the EPPP system (in which the bulk of football fans argue that our best young talent should not have access to the best facilities and coaching available) and pretty much any other change or proposed change you can think of. There's a total opposition to long-term planning from the top to the bottom and fear from all involved that the real motives of anyone suggesting that things might be better done another way are to try to take things away from them.

And then every four years we wonder why we don't achieve anything at a World Cup.

I would have more sympathy for him if the suggestions / propositions he made, were made purely on the merit of improving the England squad, or the English game in it's entirety; without excluding or supporting any of the English footballing bodies. At least then, he'd be seen to be objective. At the moment he just looks to be a yes man, working on a Premiership agenda. I doubt that's true, but because he appears to be bowing to the overwhelming pressure of the Premiership coffers, that's how it appears.

Does premiership B teams in the JPT actually benefit Premiership clubs though?

Im sure they couldnt really give a monkeys.

Thats certainly true, but whats good for the England team does not necessarily equal good for the game.

Making changes to improve the sport is one thing, making changes that damage leagues and clubs, ie the day to day bread and butter of our sport, just so the national team can do better every 2 years does not to me sound like things are being done for the good of the sport.

The fortunes of the England team are not more important than the 92 clubs that people go to watch every Saturday afternoon.

I dont particularly care about the JPT, it was nice to get there but we have done it and I wouldnt be bothered never to go again. However putting B teams in any competition undermines the competitions they are being put into, I cant see how that is good for the game.

maybe the L1 & L2 clubs should just field youth teams in JPT games similiar to Prem Clubs in FA & Carling Cups?

maybe the L1 & L2 clubs should just field youth teams in JPT games similiar to Prem Clubs in FA & Carling Cups?

Brilliant!

For Dyke this is part of a long term plan to get us used to playing prem b teams. It gives Dyke time to work on the majority of Chairmen that he needs on his side, to get the soulless prem b teams voted into the football league proper. This man has to be stopped.

NO! Good on Afc Wimbledon. Greg Dyke can clear off. The bloke can't even decide who he supports - Man U or Brentford!

Put quite simply, I will never, ever, pay a penny to watch us play a Premiership Club's 'B' side, home or away.

If they allow these 'B' sides into the JPT I would have to consider very carefully a boycott of the whole competition as, for me it would have become, truly, what the higher powers believe it to be, a Mickey Mouse Cup. Dyke and the Prem clubs obviously already regard it as that otherwise they wouldn't even be entertaining this suggestion.
As for Dyke the sooner he goes the better, he clearly has no understanding of what their football club and its integrity means to the die-hard fans who make up the majority of the people attending games up and down the country.

As for Dyke the sooner he goes the better, he clearly has no understanding of what their football club and its integrity means to the die-hard fans who make up the majority of the people attending games up and down the country.

Clearly, we should follow our Football against Homophobia week with a Football against Dyke week.

Clearly, we should follow our Football against Homophobia week with a Football against Dyke week.

I don't think the two are compatible. After all, if you're against dykes you must be homophobic.

Was there anything mention of the Football v Homophobia at the game last Saturday, because I didn't hear or see anything ?

All the people saying it "would bring in a good turnout of away fans" is talking rubbish. Why would a premier league fan want to travel away to watch a "B" side? I am completely against the idea, it just gives prem clubs more money and power. This cup is for league 1 & 2 clubs to get a bit more money and more excitement. B teams can **** off!

I am happy for premiership clubs to play their "B" or U21 teams in the JPT so long as league teams can play their development teams in the PL U21 competition.
Is that likely to happen, not in a million years, so they can shove this idea of playing in the JPT where the sun don't shine.:thumbsup:

well to me SUFC playing well is more important than England paying well,i d support SUFC before England.As for the premiershite ,i will only get interested in that when SUFC are playing in it,dont think that will be in my lifetime though.

Couldn't give a flying fig about England. My passion is Southend United. Mess with that and you mess with my reason for being, sad as that maybe.

Its not a national pride thing that they want to improve England's performances. Its all about the extra revenue from merchandise etc that they can get their grubby little mits on.

All the people saying it "would bring in a good turnout of away fans" is talking rubbish. Why would a premier league fan want to travel away to watch a "B" side? I am completely against the idea, it just gives prem clubs more money and power. This cup is for league 1 & 2 clubs to get a bit more money and more excitement. B teams can **** off!

My wife's cousin is/was a regular attender of Spurs reserve matches. From the brief conversations I've had with him I get the impression that there's not many of his ilk. I doubt very much that he would travel to away matches either.

Back