• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Barack Obama

Some Americans may well cross the border to pick up prescription meds, certain drugs are cheaper in Canada than in the US. However, the waiting list for more involved healthcare in Canada (such as MRI scans) is comparable to the UK, so Canucks head south to pay for immediate attention. Where have I heard this? I've seen it, having lived in both Canada and the US.

You mention basic services being offered in American emergency rooms to the uninsured - do we provide anything better in this country? When a four hour wait time is the target, something is very wrong.

It's a naive and ill-informed judgement to think that only the rich have insurance and receive decent healthcare in the US. Many states have free insurance which is available to those with low incomes. Many younger people simply choose not to have insurance as they feel they are healthy and don't need it. We can question the wisdom of their choice, but I don't question the wisdom of letting them have a choice.

An intrestiung point on Canda health care system , as a good few guys i used to work with stated that as one of teh reasons they moved there rather then the States . An another intrestiong thing to pounder is are the Candanians as a whole more healter then the Yanks so per capita may use less health care ???

An intrestiung point on Canda health care system , as a good few guys i used to work with stated that as one of teh reasons they moved there rather then the States . An another intrestiong thing to pounder is are the Candanians as a whole more healter then the Yanks so per capita may use less health care ???

Most people move to Canada rather than the US because it's a lot easier to get in. Something for you to pounder.

Some Americans may well cross the border to pick up prescription meds, certain drugs are cheaper in Canada than in the US. However, the waiting list for more involved healthcare in Canada (such as MRI scans) is comparable to the UK, so Canucks head south to pay for immediate attention. Where have I heard this? I've seen it, having lived in both Canada and the US.

fair enough, Canada and the UK are both fundamentally different in their setup when compared to each other, and with the current US judicial and fedral systems their own universal HCS will again look very different... rationing by waiting has gone down hugely in the past 10 years in the UK, Canada and France, and looks like it'll continue to do so.

You mention basic services being offered in American emergency rooms to the uninsured - do we provide anything better in this country? When a four hour wait time is the target, something is very wrong.

the four hour target is for anyone coming into A&E to either be transferred, admitted or discharged. The triage system in all A&E's means that if you need immediate care then you'll get it, if you're less serious and can wait then you'll have to wait a short while. Again, it's an evidence based system that looks to maximise health outcomes subject to a fixed budget... rather than a system that looks to maximise profit, in general irrespective of health outcomes.

It's a naive and ill-informed judgment to think that only the rich have insurance and receive decent healthcare in the US. Many states have free insurance which is available to those with low incomes. Many younger people simply choose not to have insurance as they feel they are healthy and don't need it. We can question the wisdom of their choice, but I don't question the wisdom of letting them have a choice.

...and I'm sure even with universal health care coverage there will still be a large market for private health care. The disparate and fragmented coverage of care (as you mention some states have insurance for the poor, others don't) mean that often people get caught out with bills for care that bankrupt them and their family, they get caught in a web of admin and bureaucracy which drives the huge wastage of resources in the system, and means that in the end health outcomes suffer.

Fundamentally, my issue is that for such a wealthy, intelligent and simply awesome country as the US, their population should be much more healthy, and live for much longer than they currently do (and in relation to what they currently spend on HC).

Fundamentally, my issue is that for such a wealthy, intelligent and simply awesome country as the US, their population should be much more healthy, and live for much longer than they currently do (and in relation to what they currently spend on HC).

On that issue, I wholeheartedly agree Pubester, but I'm fundamentally opposed to any nanny state nonsense about regulating how people eat/exercise/do copious amounts of blow. There is definitely room for improvement in the US system, but I think the Obama administration would be far better off in approaching this piecemeal, and a good place to start would be the 17% of folks who say they aren't happy with their healthcare.

I find it hard to be objective about A&E services in British hospitals after having to wait 6 hours to be seen after being ambulanced in after a road accident. My mangled Vespa got better care than I did.

Seriously? She was bonkers. We'd be at war with China by now if she'd got her beautifully manicured mitts on the keys to the White House.

How was she bonkers? Palin is pro-gun, pro-life and in favour of free markets. She's the only one who isn't bonkers as far as I can see.

I would take Palin over Obama any day of the week. And my guess is that the American people will agree with me in 2012. I'd even take Hilary over Obama. Sometimes it takes a woman to show some balls - never heard of Mrs Thatcher?

Why, what events has she entered?

Back