• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Barnet boss Darren Currie

Would definitely prefer to give him a go than McGreal, but still think it'll be Maher and/or Fagan.

OBL, you may be right. But I think the Chairman has had his eye on Darren Currie for some time. He apparently made an approach before settling on Sol Campbell last year. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

I agree with you about John McGreal. I just think the likes of Fagan, Currie or Maher look the better prospects for Southend.

OBL, you may be right. But I think the Chairman has had his eye on Darren Currie for some time. He apparently made an approach before settling on Sol Campbell last year. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

I agree with you about John McGreal. I just think the likes of Fagan, Currie or Maher look the better prospects for Southend.

Currie all day long, this appointment needs to be right, he has a good couple of years 'experience' as a first team manager, he's young and v respected.

Fagan and Maher are great and know the players but are 2 high risk.

I suppose Currie's pros are better suited than the other 2, if we get him in quick he'll have time to gel and get to know the players.

Yeah, Currie and chips down by the seaside please!

I wonder if there is a Peter Taylor influence here too? I’m not sure if he has Ron’s ear at all on football matters, but he’s a Shrimper through and through, and I’m pretty sure Currie played for him- Currie’s assistant at Barnet, Junior Lewis, was signed by him 8 times I believe!

I understand Currie already lives in the Southend area too, which must be a pull factor for him, no need to uproot his family or spend time away from them.

He ticks a lot of boxes for me, and is less of a risk than the untried Fagan or Maher.

Well, they certainly want him to stay. Comments about the state of our club makes you realise just how other supporters see us, one calls us a 'complete basket case' !
I'm not sure that we need to be told about the state of our club financially, but I get why they sounded off, we would too. End of the day, we are still in the Football League, our potential to grow is enormous, we have one of the best fan bases in the lower leagues and we are still actively in line for a new stadium. Lets face it, we are a challenge and an ambitious young manager could see this as his starting opportunity. (re-reading this, I almost believed it).

Didn't Barry Fry join us from Barnet?

Yep, and Mark Gower.

We should do more to snaffle managers and talent from the few local-ish clubs who are lower down in the pecking order than us. Dag and Red, Barnet, Orient, Braintree, Col U etc. Why we try and sign players from overseas, Scotland or the north baffles me.

Last edited:
Yep, and Mark Gower.

We should do more to snaffle managers and talent from the few local-ish clubs who are lower down in the pecking in order than us. Dag and Red, Barnet, Orient, Braintree, Col U etc. Why we try and sign players from overseas, Scotland or the north baffles me.
Because those players local to us will know that we are forever facing winding up orders, late payment of wages etc.

Perhaps those further afield aren't as aware of that?

Back