• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Barnet boss Darren Currie

There must be a number of Barnet players who Currie would look to bring in if he is announced as our new manager.
Their best attacking players would seem to be the 6ft 3 target man Paul McCallum (27) who has a good goal scoring record throughout his career, winger Simeon Akinola (came close to moving to Lincoln under the Cowleys 2 years ago), and young striker Josh Walker who they signed from Fulham.
There is also 25 year old midfielder Charlee Adams together with 6ft 6 centre back (Portuguese) Ricardo Santos who I'm sure Currie would want to bring in.
Exciting times.

Here we go again. The assumption that everyone else’s players are better than what we have and what we’ve seen.

Of course we need to bulk out the squad a little and one or two GOOD signings would make a world of difference.

But just a reminder, we are talking players that weren’t good enough to get Barnet out of the league below the one we’ve just been relegated into.

Also, let’s remember that had it not been for PPG there’s a very real chance that these players would’ve finished mid table in the league below the one we’ve just been relegated into.

I'd much rather we sign players who the manager knows and trusts as opposed to taking calculated risks on players.
In our current predicament, the sorts of players I've mentioned will be realistic targets and will want to play for Currie. That's got to be a good starting point.

It's all about getting in the right characters and creating the right team spirit in the lower leagues. It goes a long way.

talk of a non league manager ... and talk of non league players coming in ..

the SUFC supporters (who hated the former England international and multi trophy winning manager) in an ecstasy of excitement ...

to me its so blooming weird.

Because there is a misconception that players in the division below are automatically not up to the job or can't be improved by playing at a higher level.

So our players got relegated. We have some decent players, especially the youth. Do they now lose 50% of their respective skill set because we got relegated?

As for Campbell. If people want a manager the club can't afford, who doesn't know the players names after several months and calls our club Southampton on TV, then so be it.

I'd rather live In our means with a younger, hungrier manager who wants to succeed and needs to in order to progress.

Campbell is a millionaire 50 times over who couldn't give a **** about this club.

Someone like currie will be the complete opposite and cost just 25% of Campbells team.

Its this chasing of names that has our finances in disarray.

I'd much rather we sign players who the manager knows and trusts as opposed to taking calculated risks on players.
In our current predicament, the sorts of players I've mentioned will be realistic targets and will want to play for Currie. That's got to be a good starting point.

It's all about getting in the right characters and creating the right team spirit in the lower leagues. It goes a long way.

Exactly this.

Give me a team of will Atkinson, pettifers, Bentleys, hunts, whites, Timlins and hungry and exciting youth players any day.

Thats the sort of side I want to see playing for the badge.

Just had a text from a mate who is a coach at maldon and Tiptree, said he was out with Wayne brown and a couple of other col u staff and apparently it's well known in coaching circles that currie is all but a done deal. Looks like he is gonna be our new manager

Wonder if they’ll have him posing with some of our players for the shirt reveal?

He would know not just the Barnet squad but other players through the National League that would have been watched as potential signings or as prep for upcoming fixtures. So that might open up some possibilities.

Akinola would probably be the Barnet player who would potentially bring something we need (especially if McL is gone/going).

Okay let’s assume for a second that Darren Currie is going to become our new manager.....

Then lets just assume for a second, that they are good enough for the football league, because apart from McCallum those mentioned either never have or haven’t in the last three seasons....

let’s assume that he does in actual fact trust them and rate them (for all we know he had to use them much in the same way Sol had to use Oxley or Milligan)......there’s no way of knowing for sure....

let’s assume we can match their wage demands or that of any other club that’s had their scouts out to watch them and decided they’re too good for the league they’ve been in for last 3/4 seasons....

Let’s assume Ron agrees to several signings from non league on reasonable wages.....

Let’s assume they want to come to Southend and play for the same manager, who they may or may not have liked...

Assuming all that, are we forgetting that we are under a transfer embargo?

I mean can you imagine the conversation with their agents trying to sell it to them?

given what happened to the last two ‘signings’ it could potentially be career suicide for players in their mid / late 20s in this current climate. Even if someone persuaded them they were going to get paid on time, there’s no guarantee that the hearing in September won’t get adjourned again and leave them training with no games indefinitely!

we are in a very poor place to make any signings even when given the go ahead

talk of a non league manager ... and talk of non league players coming in ..

the SUFC supporters (who hated the former England international and multi trophy winning manager) in an ecstasy of excitement ...

to me its so blooming weird.

At first, the overwhelming majority welcomed & cheered Sol’s arrival. Nearly everyone was accepting of the appointment, and even the few doubters were intrigued to see what he could do. Overall, the reaction from the fans was positive.

However, and this bit is simple really.... Sol turned out to be a wrong’un, and no amount of former glory and accolades made up for his lack of man-management, arrogance, common decency & ineptitude.

Now we’re back to reality.

We’re back in the basement league, we’re skint, and we have a depleted squad. We need to look at all avenues and possibilities, including non-league personnel.

But why is that a bad thing? As always, playing at the highest of levels does not automatically carry into being a great manager. And similarly, working at the lowest levels, doesn’t equate to being a bad manager.

I’d much rather have the two former FitzWimarc school teachers, than the former Premier League, F.A. Cup winning, Champions League finalist & England International.

Goodship was slagged after his first game at Cov......The rough diamond appeal dosen't last long amongst many of our fans.

Football fans are fickle.

I went to Millwall-Leeds on the opening day of the season back in 2014, when they gave a debut to a newly signed non-league, goal-scoring starlet called Lee Gregory.

He looked a bit nervous, but was fairly lively. Didn’t really get much service, but was willing to work hard.

The defining moment of the game for him, came midway through the second half, with Millwall attacking their famous Cold Blow Lane end. He was put through on goal, with only the Leeds keeper to beat. He looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights and the chance was inevitably fluffed.

For a lot of Millwall fans, that’s all they needed to see. They had written him off as crap and out of his depth, midway through the second half, of the first game of the season.

5-years-later, he finished up as the 8th highest goal scorer in the club’s history.

Moral of the story; fans need to manage their expectations better, and excercise a little patience.

I went to Millwall-Leeds on the opening day of the season back in 2014, when they gave a debut to a newly signed non-league, goal-scoring starlet called Lee Gregory.

He looked a bit nervous, but was fairly lively. Didn’t really get much service, but was willing to work hard.

The defining moment of the game for him, came midway through the second half, with Millwall attacking their famous Cold Blow Lane end. He was put through on goal, with only the Leeds keeper to beat. He looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights and the chance was inevitably fluffed.

For a lot of Millwall fans, that’s all they needed to see. They had written him off as crap and out of his depth, midway through the second half, of the first game of the season.

5-years-later, he finished up as the 8th highest goal scorer in the club’s history.

Moral of the story; fans need to manage their expectations better, and excercise a little patience.

Problem is that we had a certain Mr Eastwood who set the bar for all non league strikers. If they don’t score a hat trick on their debut then that’s it they’re ****ed.

Or for even higher profile example a lot of Leicester fans thought Vardy was awful in his first season with them (although Vardy apparently used to turn up drunk to training everyday until the vice chairman told him to sort himself out so there's a good chance he genuinely was crap until he sorted his drinking out).

Reactions: GBJ
Here we go again. The assumption that everyone else’s players are better than what we have and what we’ve seen.

Of course we need to bulk out the squad a little and one or two GOOD signings would make a world of difference.

But just a reminder, we are talking players that weren’t good enough to get Barnet out of the league below the one we’ve just been relegated into.

Also, let’s remember that had it not been for PPG there’s a very real chance that these players would’ve finished mid table in the league below the one we’ve just been relegated into.

Mark Gower and Nicky Bailey were both in Barnet teams that I think finished midtable in the conference and they are two of the best players we've had this millennium so just because the Barnet team finished midtable it doesn't mean they don't have players who couldn't play 3 divisions higher, let alone one. Much like just because we were relegated it doesn't mean we don't have players who can be a big part of our future.

I want us to build around the kids we've already got. But we do need to supplement the squad. We don't currently have enough depth and we currently don't have enough experience. If we want to develop someone like Isaac Hutchinson, I'd argue that top of our list to sign should be some gnarly non-league clogger who's job is to go round kicking people win the ball and give it to Hutch - a 21st century Phil Gridelet (another ex-Barnet man) if you like.

I don't think the poster was saying we were going to sign them all but more looking at players who may - embargoes allowing - follow Currie. If Currie is manager then I wouldn't be surprised if one or two followed him, much like Osadebe and Vassell followed Sol. In fact, even if Currie isn't manager I'd expect us to look at the Barnet players as they've been served notice, presumably aren't on L1 wages and are localish. With our young inexperienced players IMHO that's the profile we probably need to be looking at this season rather than more technical players released from Prem or Championship clubs that we may normally target.

I don’t disagree with that at all.

All I was saying is that let’s not go down the well trodden route of thinking a new manager is suddenly bringing in a cartload of players from his previous club with all his amazing ‘contacts’ when a magic wand suddenly appears and they’re all better than they were where they were. If that makes sense? ??

the fact remains we will not be a popular or welcome option for many players who have their eye on a career path, more likely those that have almost run out of options

I think the funny things is is we are in the pretty much same position as 10 years ago. It may be because of the events of 10 years ago that i'm not too worried about the transfer embargo for now. Lets not forget Paul Sturrock signed pretty much a whole squad on pre-contract terms and was training with the youth team just days before the season started. I think the good reputation of a manager goes a long way.

If Currie does get the job, I for one won’t be too disappointed. However, I will be hoping that he keeps people like Fagan on board either with the first team or still with the U23s as we desperately need a bit of continuity !

Back