• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do you want Phil to go gung-ho and try to score as many as possible?

Enlighten us please.

Why not ?

Last season we had the best defensive record yet it achieved nothing !,Phil's tactics are ok trying to survive in the prem !

Why not ?

Last season we had the best defensive record yet it achieved nothing !,Phil's tactics are ok trying to survive in the prem !

We did that yesterday and our full backs had 2 v 1 every time in the first half which lead to their goal and they could have scored plenty more from that.

It achieved a play-off position last season, what cost us was going 13 games without a win.

Of course we all want to see us winning games by 2 or 3 goals, but unless we have the sort of cash Chesterfield and Scunthorpe had last season then I can't see it happening.

We did that yesterday and our full backs had 2 v 1 every time in the first half which lead to their goal and they could have scored plenty more from that.

It achieved a play-off position last season, what cost us was going 13 games without a win.

Of course we all want to see us winning games by 2 or 3 goals, but unless we have the sort of cash Chesterfield and Scunthorpe had last season then I can't see it happening.

The 13 game winless run was IMO due to poor management with Phil unwilling to change it and he just hoped results improved,Loza against Oxford propelled us into the play offs not Phil's management skills.

The 13 game winless run was IMO due to poor management with Phil unwilling to change it and he just hoped results improved,Loza against Oxford propelled us into the play offs not Phil's management skills.

So Phil signing Loza and playing him in a 4-4-2 was just luck?

There were changes made in that run. Barnard, Loza, Egan, Bolger and Sokolik were signed with Laird and Clifford given chances during those games.

So Phil signing Loza and playing him in a 4-4-2 was just luck?

There were changes made in that run. Barnard, Loza, Egan, Bolger and Sokolik were signed with Laird and Clifford given chances during those games.

More or less yes !

The poor sequence required something such as throwing Williams on at some stage to see if he could ignite the side whilst Payne sat on his thumbs.This club deemed those 2 capable of professional football yet they don't get the chance in the league.

More or less yes !

The poor sequence required something such as throwing Williams on at some stage to see if he could ignite the side whilst Payne sat on his thumbs.This club deemed those 2 capable of professional football yet they don't get the chance in the league.

So just throw in a couple of youngsters in their first season as a professional and hope they do well?

If they do well they great, but Phil is still a poor manager. If they do poor and don't instantly score loads then just cast them out and Phil is a poor manager.

So just throw in a couple of youngsters in their first season as a professional and hope they do well?

If they do well they great, but Phil is still a poor manager. If they do poor and don't instantly score loads then just cast them out and Phil is a poor manager.

Not at all,

Assume Phil had played Williams and JS helped the team to end that barren run I for one would have classed Phil as visionary and forward thinking.

Consider this,

We have played so far teams who will either end up mid table or fighting for survival IMO so 7points ain't bad BUT 4 goals one from the spot doesn't bode well with the big hitters on the horizon .

this might be true, but we are already five points off top, can you see us getting those back any time soon?

When I were a lad, I said when I were a lad, there were no league tables until about 6 or 8 games had been played - so unless you kept a record of every game and used the superb "league ladders" (made from card with each team punched out that game with Match and Goal! for example), you had no idea who was top or how far off top you were.

And here we are after 2 games won and 2 other games that we should have won and people are wondering how we are going to get into the promotion places. :nope: :facepalm::'(

What I will say is that I am not sure we have our best overall XI out on the pitch at the moment - but that will come with time.

Not at all,

Assume Phil had played Williams and JS helped the team to end that barren run I for one would have classed Phil as visionary and forward thinking.

Consider this,

We have played so far teams who will either end up mid table or fighting for survival IMO so 7points ain't bad BUT 4 goals one from the spot doesn't bode well with the big hitters on the horizon .

So Phil is a "visionary and forward thinking" for deciding to give a young striker a chance and that young striker helped us end a 13 match winning streak?

Wimbledon and Carlisle were always going to be tricky games due to our record against them, especially away at Carlisle. While 4 goals isn't a great amount, I still think we should allow at least 10 games before judging.

Weston has shown in pre-season he knows where the net is and Coulthirst can create chances for himself and will score once he gets that first one. Barnard is hard to judge, he has only come off the bench in league games usually for around 15 minutes - quite hard to make an impact in little time if you don't get the ball - and reckon he could get a decent amount once he gets one from open play to boost his confidence.

I don't think we have a player who will get 20+ goals this season, but they are rare and don't guarantee promotion. If we did have one, they could easily get injured or lose form. Look at Assombalonga and how he barely scored in the 2nd half of the season, yet he banged in 33 in all competitions last season and has 4 in 4 already this season.

Last edited:
I don't think that we will start scoring goals until we get a coach that has a goal scoring background or mentality. Coughlan (Centre Back 461 appearances 39 goals), Brown (Full Back, 652 appearances 46 goals) both defenders, & Penny a midfielder (355 appearances 56 goals)!

It also has to be said that neither the manager or his assistant have good management records for winning games either!

Dave Penney
TeamNationFromToMatchesWonDrawnLostWin %
Doncaster Rovers
23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png
England
22 April 200031 May 2000641166.7
Doncaster Rovers
England
27 December 200130 August 2006241114626547.3
Darlington
England
30 October 200630 April 200913960354443.2
Oldham Athletic
England
30 April 20096 May 20104813132227.1
Bristol Rovers
England
10 January 20117 March 20111322915.38

Phil Brown
TeamNatFromToRecord
GWDLWin %
Bolton Wanderers(caretaker)22 September 199919 October 1999522140.00
Derby County24 June 200530 January 2006335141415.15
Hull City4 December 200615 March 201015752406533.12
Preston North End6 January 201114 December 20115115152129.41
Southend United25 March 20136725202237.31
Total313989212331.31

i personally think it's too early to damn the manager, the season, the players and everyone else. we did alright last season, our target is to better that this season.
we're 5 points behind the leaders and that can't be made up? there are only a maximum of 6 points left to play for this season? it's 46 league games ffs, there's ages to go. it would be nice if everyone had scored 3 goals already and we'd scored 30+ goals so far in our 4 games but we haven't. if 5 players get about 10 goals and a few of those are important that should be alright but 20 goal a season strikers are rare and sought after. if we had one they might of gone by now. incidentally, when did Jason Williams become so good? i suppose by not being Barnard but come on, he might do alright but i think he's had the pressure piled on him. maybe the young players are being eased in, maybe the older ones are being given the run first to see how they do. but i think our manager has put together what he thinks is the best he can do in the circumstances and he might be right, we'll see. remember under Sturrock when we lead the table early on and got promotion? no? really? or is the league decided after 5 games

if we don't get promotion we don't get it and no-one will feel it more than Phil Brown who's dream of resurrecting his career will be over. we might do alright this season, i hope we do but it won't all be decided any time soon

Under Phil whenever this team concedes 2 or more that is it as they are incapable of out scoring their opponent .

League only conceding 2 or more reads played 13 won 0 drawn 3 lost 10 scoring 18 conceding 31 points 3.We have never experienced a 3 2 win or any other high scoring win!

Too reliant on defence and forgetting about the business end.

We have experienced a 3-0 win four times last season. We only failed to score in 8 games last season, the best record in the league last season.

We lost 8 games by conceding 2 or more goals (5 lost 1-2, 2 lost 1-3 and 1 lost 2-3) and drew 1 (2-2 draw).

We have experienced a 3-0 win four times last season. We only failed to score in 8 games last season, the best record in the league last season.

We lost 8 games by conceding 2 or more goals (5 lost 1-2, 2 lost 1-3 and 1 lost 2-3) and drew 1 (2-2 draw).

You have completely ignored my point which was when we concede 2 or more we normally lose!

Under Sturrock when his team shipped 2 or more it rreads played 27 won 5 drawn 7 lost 15 scored 38 conceded 61 points 22,In essence Sturrock's team still collected nearly 1 point per games after conceding 2 or more whereas Phil has managed just 3 points from 39 available.

Most teams lose if they let in 2 goals. While I agree we could be scoring more, I think its a symptom of this crazy formation he has us playing rather than the playing staff.

What is Jason Williams goal scoring record for the development team? Is he at 1 goal in every 2 matches?

You have completely ignored my point which was when we concede 2 or more we normally lose!

Under Sturrock when his team shipped 2 or more it rreads played 27 won 5 drawn 7 lost 15 scored 38 conceded 61 points 22,In essence Sturrock's team still collected nearly 1 point per games after conceding 2 or more whereas Phil has managed just 3 points from 39 available.

You accuse me of ignoring your post, then you ignore my one which corrects your stats.

We scored more under Sturrock, but we also conceded more under Sturrock. We scored the most in the league in his 2nd season in charge yet still got the same result at Brown got last season - play-offs and out in the semis.

I don't think that stat is relevant. If we take a 2-0 lead and win by that margin because of defending well (like against Stevenage), it doesn't fit into your point. Yet if we take a 2-0 lead and throw it away by drawing 2-2, then that fits your point nicely.

Last season, we usually won when we scored first and didn't win much when we conceded first - that is the more worrying stat.

Most teams lose if they let in 2 goals. While I agree we could be scoring more, I think its a symptom of this crazy formation he has us playing rather than the playing staff.

What is Jason Williams goal scoring record for the development team? Is he at 1 goal in every 2 matches?

Must admit the system confuses me which in fairness ain't that Diffulcult :winking:

RE Williams I have no idea but with better players around him as in first team he can only improve or at the very least be rewarded with his chance to shine.

You accuse me of ignoring your post, then you ignore my one which corrects your stats.

We scored more under Sturrock, but we also conceded more under Sturrock. We scored the most in the league in his 2nd season in charge yet still got the same result at Brown got last season - play-offs and out in the semis.

I don't think that stat is relevant. If we take a 2-0 lead and win by that margin because of defending well (like against Stevenage), it doesn't fit into your point. Yet if we take a 2-0 lead and throw it away by drawing 2-2, then that fits your point nicely.

Last season, we usually won when we scored first and didn't win much when we conceded first - that is the more worrying stat.

Next match we concede 2 in the first 30 the stats suggest we will probably under Phil's record lose that game simply because in 74% of games we concede 2 or more we end up with nothing!

Back