• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BBC - Ben Coker

Great stuff Phil,

Next time you see Ben Clarkson could you ask him if he can sort out my back problem when he's got a spare half hour ;)

H

Great stuff from you there Phil, really looking forward to the next episode.

Coker has been a pivotal player for us over the Brown years and also in Powell’s tenure. I would be absolutely devastated if we didn’t offer him a deal or if he turned us down. One of my favourite players of recent times. My father in law is type 1 diabetic so I know the struggles they go through. For him to be playing professional football with diabetes and everything he does for diabetes charities is amazing and he is a role mode for any young diabetes sufferer.

Hi All,

First time poster, but am on Shrimperzone every day and have been for many years......

Important I start with some background. I am the Exec Producer of Football at the BBC, so look after the likes of Match of the Day.

Most importantly though I am a big Southend fan, went to my first game in the early 70s, have been to every big game since (Including the Ian Benjamin promotion game at Bury!) and have 3 season tickets in the South Upper and will be at Scunthorpe on 12th!

I’ve been working with Ben for the last couple of months and as you may have seen on Twitter the 1st episode of our mini series is on the BBC Sport website this morning. The plan is to release future episodes in the coming weeks and months as things develop and get it on to Football Focus at some point.

I should add that Ben, Chris Powell & the Club have been great. The access we’ve got is rarely seen these days and this has really helped to showcase the life of a League 1 professional and the support his club provides.

Therefore please feel free to spread the word, all publicity is good publicity!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/47335571

One final request. It is possible we will be filming at the Barnsley game on Sat and we would like to get fans views on Ben’s situation. I know it’s been widely discussed on these pages, so I am looking to see whether I can reflect that in the next episode of Ben’s story - given the limited resources should the Club offer him a new deal or not?

Nothing is confirmed yet, but if anybody is interested please message me or send an email to phil.bigwood@bbc.co.uk.

Thanks all & UTB!

Phil Bigwood

I have my doubts about this post.

If you really are who you say you are:

Why does Match Of The Day invariably start with a Man Utd game rather than a Southend game?

Why are you spending licence payers money on Alan Shearer when someone like Rob Newman could do the job just as well for a fraction of the price?

Why have you never slipped whoever is doing the FA Cup draw twenty quid to pull Southend at home to Arsenal out of the bag rather than away to Yeovil?

Finally how do you manage to be in the studio in London pushing buttons at 10pm on a Saturday when every other Southend fan is still boarding a coach in a pub car park in Rochdale?

Last edited:
Hi Phil, welcome to the Zone. I know we've spoken before on Trust and JB related stuff so it is good to see you on here.

It's a great piece, and fab to see what goes on behind the scenes. Those of us who've been following Ben's journey will recognise some of it from his own video diary. I look forward to seeing more in the future.

Great stuff Phil,

Next time you see Ben Clarkson could you ask him if he can sort out my back problem when he's got a spare half hour ;)

H
If cokes isn't offered a new deal how about a change of career. Step forward the two Bennies ? ?

There was a thread about whether Ben should be offered a new deal. For polarity it's worth digging out because I don't remember this many saying he should be offered anything.

He's a good servant, the best left back at the club. I don't think we'll find someone better if we were given the opportunity. He's worth keeping at the club for sure.

I would give him a 1 year deal with a 2 year further option on that if he proves his fitness and gets back to playing.

I doubt if he will get a better offer with that injury, as it’s highly unlikely he will be back kicking a ball until July / August time at the best.

I'd be very disappointed if Ben wasn't offered a new contract. Aside from anything else, he's a really good player and links very well with Cox and Hopper. We've missed him both at the back and in attack.

I appreciate his injury history is lengthy and this is not the first long-term injury he has had. But we just need to ensure we have adequate backup and that we are covered. I believe the club will offer him a new deal.

A really good piece and can only wish Ben the very best for the future. Looking forward to future updates on his progress.

Wonder how it could affect the mindset when passed as 'fully fit' though - get out there and go for it or could it affect someone's judgement when going in for a 50/50 ball......

Excellent feature Phil, good to hear we have supporters in influential roles in the BBC - you should also maybe do a piece on the importance of Fossetts Farm and how it could guarantee the future of SUFC, I can't believe any other club has waited longer than we have (30+ years) to get a new stadium...

Ben's a great lad, both on and off the pitch. Have had the pleasure in chatting to him on various occasions, he is a bit of lad I can tell you. I too hope he gets back to full fitness and is offered a new contract. 2nd best left back we've ever had IMHO (our best ever LB is currently managing the Blues!)

I also believe he does a lot for Diabetes sufferers and their charities, good to see he;'s getting some air time on the BBC.

As a footnote I would really like Football Focus to feature more lower league teams, as the PL does seem to dominate the press...

A good watch and I believe the club should offer Ben a new 1 year deal with an option for another. Most importantly let him know that's our plan now so that he can concentrate on his recovery and not have to worry about potentially being unemployed and injured. I know this isn't the norm to do that and offer injured players contracts but Ben's a long serving player and was one of the 1st through the door when he had no players so I think its time to show some faith in him in return. Its clear that he's a great player and I'd hate to see him lining up against us just for the sake of a few more months to get fit etc. I understand his wages may temporarily need to go down until he's fit again but I'm sure something can be figured out.

We have been offering injured players contracts for the last few years :Hilarious:

I think the fact PB was in charge when Coker was offered a contract last time around was the sticking point...

So much about Ben and his contract has floated into rumour but I do vaguely remember there being a promise from the club that if a club in a higher division came in for him then we would not stand in his way. The waters have since been muddied by the injuries he has received over the last two seasons. This may partially explain why he was not prepared to sign a contract extension.

If that was correct wouldn’t it have made sense for Coker to have signed after PB left, assuming he likes Powell of course?

I don't believe Powell has offered him a new contract. The old offer was when PB was about and Cokes wasn't exactly in a rush to sign a new deal!

First, you are to be congratulated Phil for the conception of this video. Apart from those involved in professional sport, the public/fans generally do not see what is involved when an athlete suffers a long-term career threatening injury like Ben’s. This video gives us a glimpse of all aspects and it is therefore refreshingly educational.

After watching this I have nothing but the utmost respect for Ben in what he is going through and, similarly, for others who have suffered and are still suffering long term injuries like Rob Kiernan, Tom Hopper, Sam Barratt, Lewis Gard……………… the list is far too long this season to name everybody. I have to say though that Ben’s personality shines through and he must be missed by the rest of the squad in the dressing room on match days, in addition to his contribution out on the pitch. His determination is undeniable and I sincerely hope the club can come to an arrangement with him such that in the fullness of time he regains full fitness and we all see him in a Shrimpers shirt again. Good luck Ben and I look forward to seeing the next instalment of your come back.

By the way, Sergio is a bit of a star as well.
I hope it’s not Millwall sniffing about

Only just spied this thread and was reading through, there was one sour comment about him being obnoxious at a club dinner, is there anything more to that?

Zero chance of him staying if we are relegated, injury notwithstanding, gauging body language of the agent I fear

Only just spied this thread and was reading through, there was one sour comment about him being obnoxious at a club dinner, is there anything more to that?

He wanted to move, expected to move and behaved like an obnoxious w***er at the end of season dinner.

Please get rid.

I have sat with him at Sponsors Evenings and he's one of only a few players who has come into the bar and sat at the Trust table spending time meeting with fans whilst injured. I've never seen him be obnoxious, and, if you look at the post I've made today about Aussie John, you would see he's a really decent bloke.

Back