• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SS5

Youth Team
Not sure if its already been posted somewhere, but anyone who is a little unclear of the deadlines and HMRC dealings, this BBC sport blogger has done a little article on us as well as cardiff city;

Southend, said the HMRC's man, were a "habitual defaulter", "plainly insolvent" and "must be wound up today". He accused them of playing for time by previously claiming they would contest their VAT bill, but failing to put a case together.
There followed a moment of drama as Southend's brief produced a sealed letter, hot off the press, setting out sources of future funds.
There followed a pause as its contents were digested then dismissed by the HMRC.
It cut little ice with registrar Derrett either, who concluded that: "On the face of the evidence, this company is insolvent."
Southend's survival hinged on the argument that it's in the midst of a negotiation with a major retailer to redevelop the ground and its surroundings.
"It's only the retail development that makes me hesitate," said the Registrar, pondering on whether to pull the trigger, but instead opting for the stay of execution.
Southend United fans, your club has 35 days to pay up in full.

Full Article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/gordonfarquhar/2010/03/chester_city_gone_in_30_second.html

Last edited:
That is close! :(

I read FBMs post and as always, sensible reasoned argument - almost without emotion (and I dont mean that disrespectfully FBM, its great you can be so level headed) - but when you read that above...

We could be sitting here tonight with NO CLUB. That is a very scary thought indeed.

**** me. That scared the **** out of me reading that. Even the judge said we are insolvent.

It's a blog, not a news report... I doubt very much whether the judge sat there, gavel in one hand and the other resting on his chin, pondering tentatively whether or not to pull the plug.

As close a call as this, I get the impression this has been sensationalised just a tad...

And to think....there are still people reluctant to get involved in a post-match protest. Sometimes I wonder whether us fans deserve a Club in Southend?

I wish the last of you would remove the Ron-tinted specs and use your voices to better effect following the game on Saturday.

It's a blog, not a news report... I doubt very much whether the judge sat there, gavel in one hand and the other resting on his chin, pondering tentatively whether or not to pull the plug.

As close a call as this, I get the impression this has been sensationalised just a tad...

Direct quotes seem to say otherwise...

The way Ron was when sky was talking to him says we were and what sky sports news said was were really close :(

And to think....there are still people reluctant to get involved in a post-match protest. Sometimes I wonder whether us fans deserve a Club in Southend?

I wish the last of you would remove the Ron-tinted specs and use your voices to better effect following the game on Saturday.

I agree we are in the sheet but Im still not completely sold on what a protest would achieve, the only way out of this is for someone to come along and offer ron and co (im guessing here) 15million quid or so, how is any any protest going to conjure up this scenario? if there was a viable up front alternative then I would be there in a flash Ron wont even be at the game on saturday, knowing that protests are planned

Not sure if its already been posted somewhere, but anyone who is a little unclear of the deadlines and HMRC dealings, this BBC sport blogger has done a little article on us as well as cardiff city;

Southend, said the HMRC's man, were a "habitual defaulter", "plainly insolvent" and "must be wound up today". He accused them of playing for time by previously claiming they would contest their VAT bill, but failing to put a case together.
There followed a moment of drama as Southend's brief produced a sealed letter, hot off the press, setting out sources of future funds.
There followed a pause as its contents were digested then dismissed by the HMRC.
It cut little ice with registrar Derrett either, who concluded that: "On the face of the evidence, this company is insolvent."
Southend's survival hinged on the argument that it's in the midst of a negotiation with a major retailer to redevelop the ground and its surroundings.
"It's only the retail development that makes me hesitate," said the Registrar, pondering on whether to pull the trigger, but instead opting for the stay of execution.
Southend United fans, your club has 35 days to pay up in full.

ie It's only Fossetts Farm that means we still have a club.

Direct quotes seem to say otherwise...

That's the judge giving the club a slap on the wrist. Judges love a bit of melodrama but they were never going to pull the plug on the club at this particular visit.

I agree we are in the sheet but Im still not completely sold on what a protest would achieve, the only way out of this is for someone to come along and offer ron and co (im guessing here) 15million quid or so, how is any any protest going to conjure up this scenario? if there was a viable up front alternative then I would be there in a flash Ron wont even be at the game on saturday, knowing that protests are planned

lb - What exactly is the mass protest against Glazer achieving at Old Trafford - well, in reality nothing apart from causing massive press hysteria.
Glazer won't simply leave, because nobody has the ludicrous amount necessary to buy him and his monumental debt out, and then pay him off the projected revenue he stood to earn in the longer term to boot...sound familiar? We are stuck with Ron whether we like it or not, because we are so far down the path of financial ruin, as well as the fact that, on the other hand, he still stands to be set up for life with the completion of FF should it actualy ever go through, so it would make zero commercial sense for anybody to attempt to buy the Club at this stage - what our protest does however, is make him and the board aware that we will not simply be dictated to via propagandist official site statements, and be held at arm's length with constant spin...it may change attitudes, it may force him to be more open and honest as to how this ever-mounting debt is being produced, and, maybe, just maybe, it will do nothing at all.

You know what though, I for one will simply feel better in the knowledge that I have bothered to get of my backside and do something proactive to display my displeasure with goings on at the Hall.

Last edited:

Shame you haven't actually read it - if you had you'd know the decision maker today was a woman, and is the registrar, not a judge.

It could have been sensationalised, and it's true that no gavel was involved, but other than that I think you were that close to being wound up today. After all the legal wrangling it does actually reach a point where one person has to weigh up the facts and decide whether to shut the business down or not. It sounds dramatic because unfortunately it is.

lb - What exactly is the mass protest against Glazer achieving at Old Trafford - well, in reality nothing apart from causing massive press hysteria.
Glazer won't simply leave, because nobody has the ludicrous amount necessary to buy him and his monumental debt out, and then pay him off the projected revenue he stood to earn in the longer term to boot...sound familiar? We are stuck with Ron whether we like it or not, because we are so far down the path of financial ruin, as well as the fact that, on the other hand, he still stands to be set up for life with the completion of FF should it actualy ever go through, so it would make zero commercial sense for anybody to attempt to buy the Club at this stage - what our protest does however, is make him and the board aware that we will not simply be dictated to via propagandist official site statements, and be held at arm's length with constant spin...it may change attitudes, it may force him to be more open and honest as to how this ever-mounting debt is being produced, and, maybe, just maybe, it will do nothing at all.

You know what though, I for one will simply feel better in the knowledge that I have bothered to get of my backside and do something proactive to display my displeasure with goings on at the Hall.

I have you right on so many issues, the sheer wall of silence fron the club has been astounding, with so much going on a word or two from the people in charge would at least be something, even if ron came out and said look I have put every egg in one big basket called fossets farm and to honest it is killing us as a football club....but we are so close to doing the deal it will be worth it then maybe that would go some way to chilling a few, but no communication in such dark times sucks big time, I will probably pop round after the came and give my thirteen year old son a little taste of potesting (I think he is desperate to do it but wont tell me)

I have you right on so many issues, the sheer wall of silence fron the club has been astounding, with so much going on a word or two from the people in charge would at least be something, even if ron came out and said look I have put every egg in one big basket called fossets farm and to honest it is killing us as a football club....but we are so close to doing the deal it will be worth it then maybe that would go some way to chilling a few, but no communication in such dark times sucks big time, I will probably pop round after the came and give my thirteen year old son a little taste of potesting (I think he is desperate to do it but wont tell me)

According to the Registrar it is only Fossetts Farm that is keeping us alive.

Good man. I must stress, I am only pushing this as a positive step for change, and have no interest in this becoming an excuse for a militant-style riot (just in case the Club have their spies out on the board!).

Well I think the registrar's comments are very clear; we find 200k by the 14th April or SUFC is closed for business.

Oh the irony...

There's no irony. Had it not been for Fossetts Farm (or at least the potential for a move there or somewhere else) this is exactly where we would have been in 1997/98.

The damage was done in the late 90s. FF has given us a chance to survive, even if that chance is looking smaller by the day.

Back