• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Been flashed by a speed camera?

That has made me chuckle,my wife has to attend one soon for commiting the terrible crime of doing 35 in a 30 limit.

Good job then speeding at 35 mph in a 30 mile zone, she didnot hit a small child and kill them, then I wonder how you would relate that from a terrible crime.
Speeding is speeding ,like law they are there for a reason, not to be broken and then make fun of,and yes I have seen the other side of the coin, when someone close to me has been hit and seriously injured by a driver doing 36 mph in a 30 mile zone, the driver gets off with a slap on the wrist and victim life is turned up side down

I had to do one as well. It was a very similar experience which turned into pensioners vs lorry drivers. No racism though!

I did 57 in a 50 (which was a 60 for a long time and should still be IMO). However as you say, the course was quite interesting and i did learn stuff which has definitely improved my driving. Better than the points, fine and premium hike

That has made me chuckle,my wife has to attend one soon for commiting the terrible crime of doing 35 in a 30 limit.

As I say in the blog, my offences were all on deserted roads in the middle of the night when it is much easier to go over the limit as there is no other traffic to compare. I was pretty cheesed off at the time and, like you, thought it was hardly much of a crime.

However, having attended the course, which, fellow reprobates aside, was pretty powerful at times I can now totally see why the limits are there.

For instance - three of my four offences were through apparently unmanned roadworks where the regular limit had been reduced. On the course, we found out various reasons why roadworks were apparently unmanned and it could be as a result of shift changes or even work being carried out UNDER the road surface (especially on motorways). Also, every year there are 3-4 deaths of road workers. SInce the introduction of speed cameras through roadworks, there have been no road workers killed. Zero. I guess this is the point DSLC makes... it doesn't feel like a crime until it's your child/friend/relative that is hit and killed.

I certainly came out with a different attitude to the one I had going in... and a lot wiser to boot.

well done!

Thanks, brings a lump to my throat when I think about it.

In all seriousness, my finances taking such a big wallop made me stick to the speed limits like glue these days - especially on "average speed" sections, where most people haven't grasped the meaning of the word "average".

101 in a 70...6 points (now gone), £350 fine. No course. :thumbsup:

Was that recent MK?

My worst was about 10 years ago when they opened the new A130. 112 got me a four week ban and a 400 quid fine but strangely no points at all.

Last year in Suffolk I got a 57 in a 40 and did the course to save getting any points. Went there with an extremely negative attitude but it was actually quite educational. Glad I did it.

Was that recent MK?

My worst was about 10 years ago when they opened the new A130. 112 got me a four week ban and a 400 quid fine but strangely no points at all.

Last year in Suffolk I got a 57 in a 40 and did the course to save getting any points. Went there with an extremely negative attitude but it was actually quite educational. Glad I did it.

Reckon it was about 2006 or 07. M6 toll road, blue skies, no cars in sight (except an unmarked police car!).

101 in a 70...6 points (now gone), £350 fine. No course. :thumbsup:

Reckon it was about 2006 or 07. M6 toll road, blue skies, no cars in sight (except an unmarked police car!).

Completely understand this as could anyone driving on the M6 toll road. While you were clearly asking for trouble at over a ton, if speed management is about reducing safety, this is a ridiculous place to be targeting motorists. In my opinion, 100mph on the huge, empty, largely straight, long range visibility M6 toll road in a modern car is less dangerous than actually sticking to the speed limit in a 30mph.

Good job then speeding at 35 mph in a 30 mile zone, she didnot hit a small child and kill them, then I wonder how you would relate that from a terrible crime.
Speeding is speeding ,like law they are there for a reason, not to be broken and then make fun of,and yes I have seen the other side of the coin, when someone close to me has been hit and seriously injured by a driver doing 36 mph in a 30 mile zone, the driver gets off with a slap on the wrist and victim life is turned up side down
It is an outdated law on speed limits,the braking distances have changed dramatically.I am sorry to hear of someone you know being hurt badly by someone driving too fast,were they crossing the road?Would their injuries been any less if they were travelling at 33 miles per hour rather than 36? If they were travelling at 60 mph i could see your point.

Completely understand this as could anyone driving on the M6 toll road. While you were clearly asking for trouble at over a ton, if speed management is about reducing safety, this is a ridiculous place to be targeting motorists. In my opinion, 100mph on the huge, empty, largely straight, long range visibility M6 toll road in a modern car is less dangerous than actually sticking to the speed limit in a 30mph.

According to the clerk of the court when I went up to plead, they go through about 10 a day being nicked for that.

It is an outdated law on speed limits,the braking distances have changed dramatically.I am sorry to hear of someone you know being hurt badly by someone driving too fast,were they crossing the road?Would their injuries been any less if they were travelling at 33 miles per hour rather than 36? If they were travelling at 60 mph i could see your point.

A line has to be drawn somewhere though.

Another myth that the course blew away... they had video of a cardboard cut out person and a trained driver in a well maintained car with ABS doing a selection of speeds and then doing a controlled emergency stop. At 30 mph the car stopped inches before the cutout, at 35mph it hit and the impact speed was just over 15mph and at 40mph it knocked the cutout flying and the impact speed was 28 mph. The deceleration all takes place in the last few feet. Bear in mind this was a trained driver expecting to brake. Add another 1.2 seconds minimum reaction time into the equation and at 30mph there's another 8 feet added to the braking distance, so yes, that 3 mph could be a life and death difference. I know it doesn't seem like it but it's a fact.

Seriously, this course just absolutely opens your eyes.

Indeed. Speed doesn't kill. Inappropriate speed does.

Back