• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Don't post very often but just want to obtain some opinion. I've thought over the last few games, aside from a number of very good saves Bentley has made from distance, his position and movement for crosses, corners and free-kicks has not been good. In fact there was a goal at Mansfield and one against Exeter which were down to his errors. I also understand that his positioning for the first goal this evening was not great. I was not at Northampton this evening but my son was there. He is currently working on the coaching and performance staff of a highly placed championship side, and without prompting, said exactly the same of Bentley.

Now I appreciate that he is young, and relatively inexperienced. But I am concerned that he is not getting the right level of coaching. For example, who is our goal keeping coach? Is he sufficiently experienced to improve Bentley, or is it that the poor habits of our 2nd string keeper are impacting him? A great prospect, but I am concerned about his current form.

Don't post very often but just want to obtain some opinion. I've thought over the last few games, aside from a number of very good saves Bentley has made from distance, his position and movement for crosses, corners and free-kicks has not been good. In fact there was a goal at Mansfield and one against Exeter which were down to his errors. I also understand that his positioning for the first goal this evening was not great. I was not at Northampton this evening but my son was there. He is currently working on the coaching and performance staff of a highly placed championship side, and without prompting, said exactly the same of Bentley.

Now I appreciate that he is young, and relatively inexperienced. But I am concerned that he is not getting the right level of coaching. For example, who is our goal keeping coach? Is he sufficiently experienced to improve Bentley, or is it that the poor habits of our 2nd string keeper are impacting him? A great prospect, but I am concerned about his current form.

I think Smith is doing some of the coaching...nuff said

He's the best we have. Would most probably do a better job out on pitch than the lot of them at the moment!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Smith's confidence will be non existent and we all know he is a confidence player. Teddy Smith is getting rave reviews but now would not be the time to chuck him to the wolves. So Bentley is our best option and is this just a knee jerk reaction to our recent run of bad form. The keeper is only as good as the defence in front of him, if they are not offering him the support then he will end up conceding. I have seen him make a few mistakes from goals on highlights but what keeper doesn't.

I can't really judge as I have not been too enough games but I think this is just a knee jerk, from the sounds of things the problem is the defence not Bentley.

Brown tried to convince that Bentley is the next Peter Shilton. I like his enthusiasm, makes saves look far better than they are and is very poor on crosses....verdict 6/10

FFS - yes he is. he plays behind a **** defence week in week out and makes 2/3 top-class saves every game. As with every keeper, mistakes are magnified...but sometimes on this forum people seem to rate us against Man City every week, rather than Div 4. He could easily keep in the Championship.

Definitely not a knee jerk reaction. Something I have picked up on over last 6/7 games as a ST holder. I think the keeper should be better than his defence, and Prosser has done a lot of work to cover for Bentley when he has played. You can't blame the defence all the time for goal keeping errors.

ok - if you had to value our defence right now...

White £100k Thompson £100k Phillips £50k Prosser £250k Coker £250k Bentley £500k

any arguments?

these are relative not absolute figures, of course

White £100k Thompson £100k Phillips £50k Prosser £250k Coker £250k Bentley £500k

any arguments?

White 75p,Tommo 150 quid,Prosser,100k,Bents 200k

any arguments?

Yes, Only Prosser and Bentley anywhere near. Coker nearer to 75k. Doubt if anyone would want Phillips for nothing

Definitely not a knee jerk reaction. Something I have picked up on over last 6/7 games as a ST holder. I think the keeper should be better than his defence, and Prosser has done a lot of work to cover for Bentley when he has played. You can't blame the defence all the time for goal keeping errors.

Fair enough you've seen him more times than I have. I only get to see the highlights so will see the good and the bad but not his overall performance.

Bentley has massive potential, but far from finished article.
My main concern is his dominance of his own 6 yard box, from corners,free kicks etc,if your a centre half you should be waiting for your head to be taken off(after a call) obviously, this is not the best part of his game and as a keeper that is your area, command this and centre halves only need to be there for marking purposes.
I can see a great future for Dan and hope we can keep him as with maturity he will be a great keeper.

any arguments?

In terms of transfer fees?

White 0
Thompson 0
Phillips 0
Prosser 0
Coker 0
Bentley £350,000 + add ons

In terms of wages per week, what to offer them (rather than what they are on) probably something like this

White £1k
Thompson £650
Prosser £1.5k
Phillips £750
Coker £1.2k
Bentley £1.5k

any arguments?

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
:nope::nope::nope::nope:

Seriously, even as 'relative' figures? At 30-odd you think we'd get any sort of fee for Phillips? What you smokin'?

At fault for Northampton first goal tonight, a corner ball that drops on a defenders head 2 yards from the goal line has to be dealt with by the keeper!

any arguments?

Firstly Bentley is worth more than all of those above combined given his form this season and potential.

Secondly Bentley is worth more than all of those above combined given his form this season and potential.

That's about it.

Back