• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He's unlikely to do much worse,but if Paul Smith did prove ring-rusty-he's only been put in for one game all season after all, and that in front of a non-existent defence-this is one position where it is very easy to bring in a loan-signing.So many clubs seem to be doing it.I note WBA still have 2 top-notch keepers(Foster and Myhill) ahead of the excellent Luke Daniels.

He's unlikely to do much worse,but if Paul Smith did prove ring-rusty-he's only been put in for one game all season after all, and that in front of a non-existent defence-this is one position where it is very easy to bring in a loan-signing.So many clubs seem to be doing it.I note WBA still have 2 top-notch keepers(Foster and Myhill) ahead of the excellent Luke Daniels.

Why would we want to ?

We have kept plenty of clean sheets and despite our awful form still have the 3rd best defence in the whole league, and only Wolves in League One have conceded less in that division.

If our keeper isnt any good how have we managed to do that?

So many clubs seem to be doing it.I note WBA still have 2 top-notch keepers(Foster and Myhill) ahead of the excellent Luke Daniels.

I note that WBA are in the Premier League and get tens of millions of pounds of TV money every year.

In answer to the OP he is good but not as good as many believe. His kicking is terrible, as is his aerial presence and commanding of the area. However he is a good shot stopper. Kodak keeper in every sense of the word though and fancies himself way too much. Obviously he has plenty of time to learn and will definitely improve but personally would be amazed if he ever gets near the level he is so often tarnished with. Many better keepers at similar ages throughout the country.

ok - if you had to value our defence right now...

White £100k Thompson £100k Phillips £50k Prosser £250k Coker £250k Bentley £500k

any arguments?

these are relative not absolute figures, of course

Haha, is this serious?

Only Bentley would be worth anything at all!

You think another club would give us 1/4 of a million pounds for Coker or Prosser?!

I rate them both, but be serious!

In answer to the OP he is good but not as good as many believe. His kicking is terrible, as is his aerial presence and commanding of the area. However he is a good shot stopper. Kodak keeper in every sense of the word though and fancies himself way too much. Obviously he has plenty of time to learn and will definitely improve but personally would be amazed if he ever gets near the level he is so often tarnished with. Many better keepers at similar ages throughout the country.

Examples Please!

People who use the term 'fancies himself' are mistaking that for confidence.

A good goalkeeper needs to have an air of confidence, why, well, firstly it (should) install confidence In His defence, secondly, it should unsettle the oppossion, and thirdly, and probably most importantly, mistake recovery. Mistakes are most obvious when a gk makes a blunder, and having the ability and confidence to get over them is a major attribute. I like a keeper who backs them self, and you can see Bentley clearly models this part of his game on Joe Hart

One of the most down to earth blokes I've ever met. Top bloke in every sense of the word and isn't the barry big bollocks at all

I take notice of this deffo. I think you were a GK in your hey day.
hats%20off%20new%20aug%202010.gif
but got all bulshy because you wanted to play CB:winking:

A remarkable life story:Worthy:
I make you right on that one.

Examples Please!

Off the top of my head; Jonathon Bond, Jack Butland, Sam Johnstone, Jason Steele, George Long, Alex Smithies, Karl Darlow.
I'm sure if I was to look into it I'd find more, all dependent on personal opinions of course

Off the top of my head; Jonathon Bond, Jack Butland, Sam Johnstone, Jason Steele, George Long, Alex Smithies, Karl Darlow.
I'm sure if I was to look into it I'd find more, all dependent on personal opinions of course

Any that play for unfashionable League 2 sides?

Of course not but that isn't what I ever claimed. I was talking about Bentley not being England potential as so many think not questioning him being Southend No.1

Smithies has been a regular keeper for 6 years now - poor comparison. Steele and Darlow are a fair bit older too.

Buckland and Johnstone are on the books of Premiership Clubs.

One of the most down to earth blokes I've ever met. Top bloke in every sense of the word and isn't the barry big bollocks at all

I have never personally spoken to him , but know some one who was very close to him until a few years ago and took him to every match he played. I got only excellent feedback on him at that time . However I live in Wickford and your opinion is certainly not shared by everyone in his age group in his home town . Maybe jealousy, I don't know but it must be very difficult to stay grounded when you are a local lad playing for your boyhood club and get the adulation that he does

Back