• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best and Worst in the same game award...

Grimsby away springs to mind initially. What about Darlo last season? Barry Conlon takes our defence apart and they race in to a 2-0 lead that would pull us right back in to relegation trouble. Shrimpers fight back, including a David McSweeney wonderstrike, something I was certain I'd never see and we run out deserved 3-2 winners. Perhaps to temper this, in a game of similar importance and stature, we slaughter Carlisle to be 2-0 up only to put in a woeful second half and draw 2-2.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ June 19 2005,11:26)]Grimsby away springs to mind initially.  What about Darlo last season?  Barry Conlon takes our defence apart and they race in to a 2-0 lead that would pull us right back in to relegation trouble.  Shrimpers fight back, including a David McSweeney wonderstrike, something I was certain I'd never see and we run out deserved 3-2 winners.  Perhaps to temper this, in a game of similar importance and stature, we slaughter Carlisle to be 2-0 up only to put in a woeful second half and draw 2-2.
I'm pretty sure McSweeney didn't score in that match. He scored a wonder goal Vs Carlisie, when we went 2 up only to draw 2-2.

The Darlo game, Connie scored a penalty after Drewenaldo was brought down, then Bentley scored from outside the box and Gower scored a blinder with 5 minutes to go.

The 5-2 win against Bolton, it was awesome on the day but I think we got relegated winning only 3 games while Bolton got promoted with 98 points and 100+ goals.
Although it wasn't that bad on the day the confidence i had that we would stay up that year was based on that game entirely and i still look back now wondering how we could possibly play like that in one game and awful in the rest of the season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ June 19 2005,13:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ June 19 2005,11:26)]Grimsby away springs to mind initially. What about Darlo last season? Barry Conlon takes our defence apart and they race in to a 2-0 lead that would pull us right back in to relegation trouble. Shrimpers fight back, including a David McSweeney wonderstrike, something I was certain I'd never see and we run out deserved 3-2 winners. Perhaps to temper this, in a game of similar importance and stature, we slaughter Carlisle to be 2-0 up only to put in a woeful second half and draw 2-2.
I'm pretty sure McSweeney didn't score in that match. He scored a wonder goal Vs Carlisie, when we went 2 up only to draw 2-2.

The Darlo game, Connie scored a penalty after Drewenaldo was brought down, then Bentley scored from outside the box and Gower scored a blinder with 5 minutes to go.
Sounds about right. Heat must be affecting my brain!

wow.gif

How could I misplace McSweeney's goal.....

down.gif

I agree with most mentioned, they would be my choices. Remember 5-3 against Bournemouth a few seasons ago, can't really remember what happened too much, just remember it was a cracking, eventful game.

There was a few games last season in which we very much held our own against teams like Hull (2-2) where we appeared to be holding on at times but thoroughly deserved a draw.

And there is those games (like Carlisle) who were destined for relegation who we beat 3-2 where Richards took the credit for scoring twice but must have missed at least six one-on-ones (no exaggeration!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And there is those games (like Carlisle) who were destined for relegation who we beat 3-2 where Richards took the credit for scoring twice but must have missed at least six one-on-ones (no exaggeration!)

When we beat Carlisle 3-2, Richards didn't score twice. The only game he scored twice in was the 4-1 drubbing of Halifax. He missed about six one-on-ones in that match.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scrounger700 @ June 19 2005,18:10)]Remember 5-3 against Bournemouth a few seasons ago, can't really remember what happened too much, just remember it was a cracking, eventful game.
It was really only a cracking last 22 minutes! The majority of the game was ruined by the whistle-happy Steve Bennett on his way up the referee's pyramid IIRC!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ June 20 2005,12:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (scrounger700 @ June 19 2005,18:10)]Remember 5-3 against Bournemouth a few seasons ago, can't really remember what happened too much, just remember it was a cracking, eventful game.
It was really only a cracking last 22 minutes!  The majority of the game was ruined by the whistle-happy Steve Bennett on his way up the referee's pyramid IIRC!
Are you sure it was Steve Bennett?

I'd be surprised if he was allowed to ref a game in Southend so soon (ie 12 months) after sending off Roget for impersonationg Boere. He surely would have been lynched?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ June 20 2005,12:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ June 20 2005,12:15)]
[b said:
It was really only a cracking last 22 minutes!  The majority of the game was ruined by the whistle-happy Steve Bennett on his way up the referee's pyramid IIRC!
Are you sure it was Steve Bennett?

I'd be surprised if he was allowed to ref a game in Southend so soon (ie 12 months) after sending off Roget for impersonationg Boere. He surely would have been lynched?
Was that Roget sending off incident not the same season?
Probably the only 2 times he was in charge of our games that year.

I'm sure it was Bennett as the penalty we were awarded was rather dodgy I seem to remember, didn't Bournemouth have someone sent off too?

His receding hairline stuck in my mind & I always thought it was shocking he reached Premier League standard.

Does anyone still have their Bournemouth programme to check or are there any sites with listing of who was in charge of which game (e.g. Rate The Ref)?

Memory is a little hazy now but I remember an absolute belter against Charlton in old Div 1 (1993?). Huge crowd, we won 4-2, the game had 3 red cards (including one for a fantastic full-length goal-line fingertip save by Charlton's right back which their goalkeeper would have been proud of), 4 penalties and 6 goals.

How did it contain the worst? Well, it was the game when we faced the prospect of extending our unbeaten league record for consecutive missed penalties to 10. The moment the ref pointed at the spot, everyone (home and away) hated the ref. Can't remember who stepped up to take it, but whoever did put it away. We then also put away the second penalty we had in the game later on. Charlton amazingly missed two themselves (I'm sure I heard someone try to sing 'are you Southend in disguise' after they missed No 2), and I also remember seeing Keith 'mini-me' Jones out-jump their 6'5'' centre forward (Carl Leaburn I think his name was) in midfield.

For sheer entertainment, I don't think that game will be beaten easily.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fish @ June 20 2005,13:38)]Memory is a little hazy now but I remember an absolute belter against Charlton in old Div 1 (1993?). Huge crowd, we won 4-2, the game had 3 red cards (including one for a fantastic full-length goal-line fingertip save by Charlton's right back which their goalkeeper would have been proud of), 4 penalties and 6 goals.

How did it contain the worst? Well, it was the game when we faced the prospect of extending our unbeaten league record for consecutive missed penalties to 10. The moment the ref pointed at the spot, everyone (home and away) hated the ref. Can't remember who stepped up to take it, but whoever did put it away. We then also put away the second penalty we had in the game later on. Charlton amazingly missed two themselves (I'm sure I heard someone try to sing 'are you Southend in disguise' after they missed No 2), and I also remember seeing Keith 'mini-me' Jones out-jump their 6'5'' centre forward (Carl Leaburn I think his name was) in midfield.

For sheer entertainment, I don't think that game will be beaten easily.
Was that definitely all one game? IIRC Dean Austin ended the penalty jinx in a 1-1 draw v Charlton.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ June 20 2005,13:48)]Was that definitely all one game?
Sounds like two games... info courtesy of the peerless Robin Michel's SUFC Database - History section, with a little bit from www.soccerbase.com:

Austin ended the penalty jinx - we had missed our 7th consecutive penalty at Wolves on 28th September 1991 - in a 1-1 draw at Roots Hall on 26 October 1991. That was a mad game in which one player on each side got sent off, and the Charlton bench got sent off for good measure. It was the first game I saw us play at Div 2 level, as it happens.  The ground wasn't full, although the attendance was a respectable 7,320.

The other game referred to sounds more like the game on 27th December 1993, just post-Fry, when we beat Charlton 4-2 at home in front of 10,123 and went 5th in the table (although we had been as high as 3rd).  One of those goals was a penalty, scored by Graham Bressington!

wow.gif

Other goals came courtesy of Keith Jones, Jason Lee and Ricky Otto; Charlton replied through Carl Leaburn and Alan Pardew.

Matt

I would go for the grimsby game on a high wit about 10 mins to go and then down bac to earth wit a thump

Probably go for the Darlo home match last year.... pretty hopeless for the first half, two-nil down and not looking too sharp yet staging an awesome comeback to snatch it.
Hartlepool cup game in 02-03 also deserves a mention, as does the Wycombe game last term, where we were 1-0 up and dominating, yet failed to kill the game off and collapsed to a 2-1 defeat (although Tyson's first was offside IMO!)

Just to put a slightly different spin on this topic, how about the best and worst matches in one day?

Anyone remember losing at home to Orient 1-2 on a Saturday lunchtime and then going down the pub to see England beat Germany 1-5 in Munich?

I will never forget the shots of the German fans leaving the stadium with 25 minutes to go.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ June 22 2005,04:36)]Just to put a slightly different spin on this topic, how about the best and worst matches in one day?

Anyone remember losing at home to Orient 0-1 on a Saturday lunchtime and then going down the pub to see England beat Germany 1-5 in Munich?

I will never forget the shots of the German fans leaving the stadium with 25 minutes to go.
We lost to Orient that day?

Jeez, that one must have been one hell of a win in the evening to cast that one aside!!

What a day that was
biggrin.gif

Absolutely pig sick at losing to Orient, then off down the pub next to the Palace Theatre with Dave Scriven, Mike Smith et al... one side of the pub chock full of Irish lads whose game was on first, the other full of English waiting for the Germany game... dancing on the tables to 'The Dambusters' was the order of the night...

Quality!
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ June 22 2005,04:36)]Just to put a slightly different spin on this topic, how about the best and worst matches in one day?

Anyone remember losing at home to Orient 0-1 on a Saturday lunchtime and then going down the pub to see England beat Germany 1-5 in Munich?

We lost 2-1 to Orient...

Southend 1 - 2 Orient

I had organised a stag-do that day, and after a superb morning's paintballing in the Epping Forest area, we leapt into our cars and headed... straight into a traffic jam on the M25.

By the time we got to Roots Hall, it was about 3.15 pm. We arrived just in time to see David McGhee sent off for the Ooze. With the scores at 1-1, there was me thinking... we could win this! How foolish of me.

suspect.gif

We then hot-footed it from the game to Bailey's Fish Fry Inn for some fantastic fish'n'chips, then a mass bumper-car session at Peter Pan's... and then off to a pub in the East End to watch England v. Germany.

We were still in the car as Germany scored; but were parked up thereafter... and got to witness one of the two finest England performances that I have ever seen. Awesome. As the fifth goal went in, my overwhelming emotion was sheer disbelief... but I was right as rain again once I'd had about 5 or so shots of sambucca to chase down the many lagers I'd drank...

wow.gif
biggrin.gif

Matt

Didn't realise Constantine scored for them that day... I've never liked him... always hada shifty look about him - something of the night as Ann Widdecombe would put it...
glare.gif
down.gif

Back