• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

* ORM *

Still Loves Emma Bunton. Roy McDonough is God!
Flying the flag for SUFC in Sai Kung, Hong Kong
6th May 2006. Jeez how time passes !!!

I'd forgotten how close to the end Gray's goal was but this was a party atmosphere given the Man City fans that made the trip, the reception from the Br City fans and the promotion, title and farewell party. Awesome day. Completely different to Memory #1 but no less enjoyable for it.

Get those good memories in.

TheGoat crying his eyes out on his substitution. Now that was a true footballer, a true gentleman and a true legend for a number of clubs held in high respect by fans and fellow players.

I had the pleasure of visiting St George's Park last week, and was chatting to the business director of the LMA, who asked me what my best footballing memories were, and this match was one I listed.

Turned up that day with my two youngest and a good friend, we had tickets in West W.

Our seats were occupied by Man City fans, as from our long discussion with a steward, they admitted they might have double sold some tickets.

So our view was from the back of the West, with quite a few other unseated Southend fans, but it really didn't matter given the atmosphere.

I've never witnessed such an outpouring of goodwill to a player from a whole stadium when the Goat got substituted, it was real hair on the back of the neck stuff, fantastic. And the total pandemonium when Gray hit the back of the net, my youngest couldn't see a thing at that point but he was still going mental with all around him.

A very good day

6th May 2006. Jeez how time passes !!!

I'd forgotten how close to the end Gray's goal was but this was a party atmosphere given the Man City fans that made the trip, the reception from the Br City fans and the promotion, title and farewell party. Awesome day. Completely different to Memory #1 but no less enjoyable for it.

Get those good memories in.

TheGoat crying his eyes out on his substitution. Now that was a true footballer, a true gentleman and a true legend for a number of clubs held in high respect by fans and fellow players.

Don't think I've ever seen a substitution take longer.Nor was anyone worried about that in the least.:Worthy:

Yeah that was a good game.

But personally, the game where we beat Col U to get to the MilStad is my favourite. Afterwards, no-one really knew what to do - go to the Shrimpers, the Spread, or up town. An amazing night and the start of the Tilson era.

The Brizzle Rovers game had a good atmosphere, but not a proper football atmosphere. For me, a good football atmosphere is where there is copious amounts of tension because there is a lot riding on the game. In the same season therefore I would say the two games against Swansea top that. Especially the 2-2 away that got us promoted.

Good shout. I was actually minded of this game on Saturday as I walked past the Golden Lion. Around that time, when we were getting crowds of 10,000+, if you didn't get to The Spread by noon you weren't getting in.

So we ended up drinking in the Golden Lion with a load of Man City fans who had come down to bid farewell to The Goat.

Once in the ground, there was that odd atmosphere where we were happy because we were up but also a little anxious as we didn't want Col Ewe to pip us to the title. A fantastic day and when that Gray shot bobbled in....

It was a good atmosphere when the black Pele scored, I remember it being crap due to it being as tight as a gnat's chuff until then, but I was sat in the South Lower.

I had a party in Rugby to attend and I remember a few people saying congrats as I travelled back on the train.

It had much more of a testimonial atmosphere to it, which indeed it was in effect, and the stadium only came to life when Julian Goater was substituted. Wayne Gray's goal helped it along a bit more, and the players seemed to enjoy the pitch invasion after the final whistle.

Although, if memory serves me correctly, the biggest thread on here the following week, by a country mile, was moaning about people being on the pitch and apparently spoiling the entire day.

Back