• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best decade for music?

Best decade for music?

• Total voters

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
Having recorded them, this week I finally got round to watching the BBC 4 series 'Pop On Trial'. Basically, a load of journalists and music figures chatted loads about which decade was the most influential in terms of popular music.

It got a bit serious at times and there were several points in the final show when I thought Paul Morley was actually going to disappear up his own backside. Still, it was interesting enough and got me thinking not so much about the most influential decade but the one that I most like.

So, if you were stuck on a desert island only able to listen to music from one decade, which would it be? I'm not putting in the decade we're currently in as it's yet to end (and it couldn't possibly be a worthy winner)

I surprised myself in plumping for the 80s eventually. In terms of music I like that would give me The Smiths, Pixies, Madness, Madonna, Prince, Stones Roses, The Specials, Billy Bragg, Public Enemy, NWA, The Jam and REM, not to mention plenty others (admittedly, the 80s only covers a portion, and not necessarily the best portion, of some of these act's careers).

The good people of SZ, over to you...

It's always going to be the decade you grew up in, so much like you it's going to be the 80's.

However without a doubt it was the 1950's that was most influental.

Cricko would know....

between the 80s and 90s for me.. but i can probably think of more "timeless" 80s albums, although a couple of my top 5 are 90s ones

It's always going to be the decade you grew up in, so much like you it's going to be the 80's.

However without a doubt it was the 1950's that was most influental.

Cricko would know....

Well I would have expected the 1990s, as that was my teenage years (born in 1979) but looking at my CD collection, the 1980s loomed so large it had to be that decade.

In the show itself, 1970s was the winner.

I'm going to vote for the 1960s - before my time but, musically, a decade that had everything: from the early Blues of Chuck Berry & BB King, through Elvis, to the Beatles, the Stones and the guitar-led rock of Hendrix, Derek & the Dominos and (possibly?) early Led Zep.

Chuck in some of the weirder, Southend-on-sea stuff (Procul Harum, Bonzo Dog Doodah Band) and then infuse with Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, Frank Sinatra, Bossa Nova and the beginnings of Tropicalia - and top off with the likes of Bernstein (West Side Story was in 1961!) - and you have a truly awesome decade of music.

The 1960s was a decade of discovery, hope, growth and change, and its music truly reflects that.

:)

I agreed with the jury and went for the 70's. Some magical stuff (Led Zep, T-Rex, Bowie, punk, Kraftwerk) as well as some dross (Queen, everything in 1974). But isn't that true of all decades, and with the obvious exceptions of The Smiths, New Order and Soft Cell the 80's was largely bland. 90's is SAW for me, and deserves nothing on that basis. The 60's doesn't come alive with music until 1966, for me, (and I hate The Beatles with a severe passion). And finally, although influential, the 50's was largely skiffle and m-o-r until 1957.

I agreed with the jury and went for the 70's. Some magical stuff (Led Zep, T-Rex, Bowie, punk, Kraftwerk) as well as some dross (Queen, everything in 1974). But isn't that true of all decades, and with the obvious exceptions of The Smiths, New Order and Soft Cell the 80's was largely bland. 90's is SAW for me, and deserves nothing on that basis. The 60's doesn't come alive with music until 1966, for me, (and I hate The Beatles with a severe passion). And finally, although influential, the 50's was largely skiffle and m-o-r until 1957.
The world of music exists outside pop-rock, not that the likes of Paul Morley realise that too often.

SAW? :confused:

The world of music exists outside pop-rock, not that the likes of Paul Morley realise that too often.

That's true Matt, although this show was specifically called "Pop On Trial" so that's what they were judging.

Morley took it so seriously though, it was like he was on the jury of a murder case :rolleyes: (the other 'jurors', by the way, were David McAlmont, Lauren Laverner and Noddy Holder)

The 1950's brought us pop music, but on balance, I guess it is the 1980's for me.

From the tail end of The Jam, The Smiths, to The Stone Roses and Acid House (as much as I detested it, it was pretty ground breaking).

It's also the decade that gave us Duran Duran, Rick Astley, Mel & Kim and Kajagoogoo.....

The 60s - you can't argue with a decade that had Hendrix, the Beatles, the Stones, the Kinks, Frank Zappa, Sun Ra, The Animals, and Engelbert Humperdinck

Indeed. However, this programme was only reflecting pop/rock. Jazz, classical etc were not condsidered - although the 50's programme refelcted some country music.

Ahh... furry muff. I'd probably still go for the 60s in that case, although that means a life on my desert island without Stevie, which would be tough. If it's pop-rock only, I could be tempted to go for the 70s...

:D

Back