• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best 'unknown' forward/defender performance you've seen so far.

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
Admittedly I haven't watched every game, but the two that have really taken my eye so far are Joel Campbell for Costa Rica going forward and González for the Yanks at the back (yeah, surprised me too!)

James Rodriguez is without question the breakout star of the tournament. Seems to have everything required to make it at the top level and will court a sizeable transfer fee now.

The Greek centre half Manolas impressed me as well. Doubt he'll be at Olympiakos for much longer. Was surprised to see Bruno Martins Indi go to Porto, too. Thought a bigger club than that might be interested in him.

Admittedly I haven't watched every game, but the two that have really taken my eye so far are Joel Campbell for Costa Rica going forward and González for the Yanks at the back (yeah, surprised me too!)

I think Campbell has been pretty average since that first game against Uruguay, I think more is being made of him as he's with an English club. I think Gamboa down the right hand side has been a better performer over their four games than Campbell.

Agreed Rodriguez has been the stand out player, although I'm not sure you can class a 35million pound midfielder who has stood out for Porto (domestically and in Europe) for almost three seasons as an unknown entity.

Nigeria's Ahmed Musa is a player that has impressed me, very quick and positive player, skillful, and caused problems for two of the most favoured nations.

Defenders:
Oscar Duarte (Costa Rica)
Hector Moreno (Mexico) BB will be pleased with that

Strikers:
Enner Valencia (Ecuador)
James Rodrigez (Colombia)

Also, that Perisic for Croatia

I don't think Joel Campbell can be classed as unknown. Played in the champions League for Olympiakos this season so has been exposed on ITV a couple of times. He played better in those CL games than he has in the World Cup

James Rodriguez can hardly be classed as unknown, Monaco signed him from a champions league side for 45 million euros last year.

In addition to some of the names already mentioned, I thought the Iranian centre-halves were magnificent against Argentina and I liked Colombia's Cuadrado's ability to glide past players and in midfield Besic of Bosnia and Chile's Diaz.

James Rodriguez can hardly be classed as unknown, Monaco signed him from a champions league side for 45 million euros last year.

As maybe, but he was unknown to me!..........and I've now realised that you weren't replying to me on Rodriguez, nob time.

Last edited:
I don't think Joel Campbell can be classed as unknown. Played in the champions League for Olympiakos this season so has been exposed on ITV a couple of times. He played better in those CL games than he has in the World Cup

I didn't see him in either game, so he was unknown to me.

Not unknown but Valbuena has impreesed me. Griezman (sp) for France looks decent as well.

Apparently James Rodriguez's transfer fee was partly due to creative accounting, Monaco brought Joao Moutiniho at the same time who had a sell on clause so there were rumours that they put some of Moutiniho's fee on Rodriguez as well so that it worked out cheaper.

González for the Yanks at the back (yeah, surprised me too!)

The bloke who turned his ankle over 90 degrees last night and played on? Outstanding.

Was also majorly impressed with the bloke who came on at right back - Yedlin. Didn't stop running, confident with the ball and some great tackles.

I was thinking Divock Origi of Belgium should be included in this. His cameo's from the bench and performance against USA have been very good, direct, a decent shot and very quick. Have liked the look of him.

Have we enough to make a team yet?

Back