• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bromley Blue

The artist formerly known as the_saafender
Just thought I'd mention something I noticed walking back to the car after the game on Saturday.

I was in a great mood after seeing the best Southend performance I've seen in quite a while and in front of me was a little boy who'd obviously been to the game with his mum. His Dad came and met them by the Civic Centre car park (where my car was) in a Norwich shirt. He asked his son if he enjoyed the game and said he'd seen the score was 4-1. And then he said "Yeah but you don't want to watch Southend do you boy. They play in some mickey mouse league."

This really annoyed me. I hear comments like this all the time from ignorant Premiershite fans at work or when you have those chats with strangers breaking the ice with football chat. But this coming from a Norwich City fan whose team are punching above their weight this season and we played in League games 2 years ago was unbelievable.

How quickly some forget!

On this subject, everyone I know that 'supports Man United' seems to be unable to answer their phones, texts, facebook messages etc.

:thumbsup:

Think this thread should be called "Big headed Premiershite Followers" - there's a big difference.

Just thought I'd mention something I noticed walking back to the car after the game on Saturday.

I was in a great mood after seeing the best Southend performance I've seen in quite a while and in front of me was a little boy who'd obviously been to the game with his mum. His Dad came and met them by the Civic Centre car park (where my car was) in a Norwich shirt. He asked his son if he enjoyed the game and said he'd seen the score was 4-1. And then he said "Yeah but you don't want to watch Southend do you boy. They play in some mickey mouse league."

This really annoyed me. I hear comments like this all the time from ignorant Premiershite fans at work or when you have those chats with strangers breaking the ice with football chat. But this coming from a Norwich City fan whose team are punching above their weight this season and we played in League games 2 years ago was unbelievable.

How quickly some forget!

Ignore them, they aren't real football fans. In fact pity them.

and it wasn't me by the way :nope:

He must have gone some to get to Anfield for the 5.30pm kick off.

Yeah I was disappointed when they got a great result after that. Really wanted Liverpool to smash them.

Who cares!!

I am sure he would of said the same thing if Norwich was in the Championship as League two is a micky mouse league.

I have loads of mates in the lower leagues and they always tell me I watch micky mouse football its just banter

as been said prem league followers as they dont go games but we have plenty of fans or dont go games home or away so whats the difference.

On this subject, everyone I know that 'supports Man United' seems to be unable to answer their phones, texts, facebook messages etc.

:thumbsup:

Man Ure hav set up a hotline for their fans who are grief stricken after yesterdays match......the number is 0161 616 1616:hilarious:

The worse one for me is when someone asks me who I support (especially working in the city) and I reply Southend, i always get the response - no i mean a real team, a prem team?

Does my head in!!!!!!!!!! arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The worse one for me is when someone asks me who I support (especially working in the city) and I reply Southend, i always get the response - no i mean a real team, a prem team?

On a lighter note though, my friend has started asking West Ham fans the same question!

Yeah its either than or they laugh and say "Ohhh well someone has to I suppose".

I think we should be respected for supporting our local side not laughed at. If we ever reached the Premiershite I wouldn't forget where we've come from. I don't begrudge Man City all their money or success coz those fans have been through everything you can experience as a football fan more or less. And those lads that came down for Goater's last came for also pretty good for a laugh in the Spread before the game.

The other day I got a 'well done' when I said I supported Southend. How has it got to the stage where those who support their local club deserve praise?

The other day I got a 'well done' when I said I supported Southend. How has it got to the stage where those who support their local club deserve praise?

Because the Premiership has become so big now across the world that all the big sides should be considered a franchise. That's why Spurs didn't think twice about moving to the Olympic Stadium. Who gives a sh*t if they're moving away from the area of Tottenham if they still get 40,50, 60k every week. They don't care if their fans are from Seven Sisters Road or Stanford Le-Hope as long as they're paying their way.

We shouldn't take the holier than thou approach to this though as at the other end of the spectrum we get fans of these clubs coming to watch our games coz they're more affordable and they don't even support the club.

Tell me about it. Almost every time I say I support Southend I get a confused look and the question "don't you support a Premiership team too?", as if you're supposed to. And it's normally from people who aren't proper football supporters anyway and who know of no world outside the Premier League. No I don't, I wouldn't support a team which is nowhere near where I live and with which I'd have no involvement in a league which is largely governed by how much money you have. I enjoy watching the Premiership as much as anyone, it's the best league in the world in terms of quality and excitement but I very rarely want a particular team to win (unless West Ham are in it then it's whoever they're playing). But I do think also that a lot of people respect supporting your local team deep down. I'm proud of it and at the end of the day the banter and meeting people who support different teams is one of the joys of being a football fan. I'm sure we'd have the same attitude to Canvey or any team in the non-leagues.

I think there is also a differentiation somewhere in those who support their local team because it is an extension of their birth-pride (can't quite think of the phrase I really want there) and those who just want to watch a football match on telly and feel the need to shout for one side rather than another.
The trouble is, in this country, the only decent length match coverage your average schoolboy will see will be a premiership match, and it is always going to be easier for a clueless aunt to buy her favourite nephew or niece some ManUre tat on their birthday.
However far I live from my hometown of Rochford, Southend will always be my local team and I will support no other.

Norwich have always considered themselves a prem team even when they were languishing in div 1. I've always hated them ever since I heard a debate on the local radio whilst driving through Suffolk on whether after winning promotion from div 1 a couple of years ago, should they have an open top bus!!! After all, said the presenter of the program,...its only the championship we're going into. I thought you pompous arse, I think we had one after winning div 2 the last time.

Norwich have always considered themselves a prem team even when they were languishing in div 1. I've always hated them ever since I heard a debate on the local radio whilst driving through Suffolk on whether after winning promotion from div 1 a couple of years ago, should they have an open top bus!!! After all, said the presenter of the program,...its only the championship we're going into. I thought you pompous arse, I think we had one after winning div 2 the last time.

Yeah I remember meeting some Norwich fans on the South Bank the day they got relegated to League One. I remember saying "Ohh well you can look forward to playing us next season." and them rolling their eyes.

Norwich are a bigger club than us, there's no doubt about that at the mo. But Norwich and Ipswich are the sorts of clubs I think Southend should use as a role model of what they could become if the new stadium happens. We have the potential to attract fans from all over Essex if we got to the Championship and stayed there. I just hope our fans don't turn into a bunch of pricks if we do...

P:ersonally i love it , its such an easy to win argument for all the reasons everyone has stated above

All the premiershite fans at work now look to southend results and watch the highlights in the office. no one takes the **** and they are all jealous that i get to watch/can afford to watch 'MY team'

two or three might even come and watch a game!

Back